Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #21
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddensam View Post
I partially agree that in general you are probably going to get more diesel engine info at a diesel specific site but why not ask and look for information from people that are using their trucks in a similar fashion.
Have to agree with this. I spend time on the diesel forums, but they are either dealing with specific issues or are looking at how to build their truck up. I don't find a lot of relevant information on them (but I read them just like I read diesel magazines) the relates to towing. Mind you, nothing wrong with doing both.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
tdawg

Thanks for all the info not sure what I will do but I know for sure that I will start my anti gel treatment the 1st of October we get snow here in Iowa the 2nd week of October
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
Larry1013

There is a lot of talk on the diesel forums for the 6.7 Ford's about additives. It has basically come down to one wanting to use a "demulsifier" type of additive in conjunction with cetane boost with any of the newer diesel engines no matter the brand. The key is removing the water verses trying to pass the water and let the engine burn it.

Some of the additives such as PowerService's Diesel Kleen is one that makes the water soluble and tries to get it past your water filter so it can burn the water. This is a big no no. If you have fuel system problems and/or damage a high pressure fuel pump or injectors, most truck brands will deny your warranty if there is evidence of rust on any where in the high pressure fuel system.

There are 3 additives that claim to remove the water or demulsify it. OptiLube, Stanadyne and StaBil (which purported to make the Ford PM-22 additive). I personally run Stanadyne blue in winter and red in summer along with PM-22 ever second or third fill up. To me, these are cheap insurance and help the filter separate the water from the fuel.

Years ago, on the older diesels with high sulfur fuel, water was not a critical issue as it is today. The old Ford 7.3 would damn near run on water it seemed. The newer diesels with piezo injectors do not handle the ingestion of water nor does the Bosch high pressure fuel pumps. The cost to replace a fuel system from water damage on a 2011 or new 6.7l Ford ranges from $6K to $15K (some dealers try to charge per part instead of the complete kit Ford makes for $4k).

This is a copy of the email I received from PowerService some months back when I asked them about their product DieselKleen...for info and help you make up your mind....

Dear Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Power Service. Our products are neither an emulsifier or demulsifier. They make water soluble in diesel fuel, or in other words it dissolves water and makes it part of the diesel fuel. The only additive that contains any alcohol is Diesel 911, and it contains a very safe, high molecular weight alcohol that will not cause any engine harm. If you have any further questions please give me a call at 817-599-9486 and ask for Jessica.

Thank you and have a great day,
Jessica Crabtree

Power Service Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 1089
Weatherford, TX 76086

817-599-9486 (p)
817-599-4893 (f)

[email protected]

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #24
dwkhumble

New to Diesel World

Thank you so much for posting this thread. After reading you post, and the answers, I looked up some Motorcraft Blog. I am going out tomorrow and buying some PM22A for my F-250 Super Duty.