Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Desert185

I must be the exception. My Timbrens work great.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #22
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I must be the exception. My Timbrens work great.
You tow with a 3/4; big difference in payload capacity/spring stiffness, suspension travel & ride height which affects distance from bump stop plate to face of Timbren, and how the axle carries the weight.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #23
Desert185

I don't know. Isn't that like saying my 3/4 ton would ride better than your 1/2 ton with the same brand of aftermarket, premium shocks? Why would a 3/4 ton ride better with Timbrens than a 1/2 ton? I know you answered that, but I'm not necessarily buying your explanation.

Just curious and would like to learn what I may not know...
Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #24
steveledo

I'm wondering if there is a bad area of ride hight with the timbrens in my setup. The difference in the ball height is about 1-1/2 inches lower without the timbrens. I believe that the trailer was well balanced with the tounge height w/o the timbrens that when they were installed it caused the ball height to be too high so the trailer was unbalanced towards the rear. With only a 1 inch drop and the potential for the trailer to shift weight backwards , I get the feeling that the timbrens were disengaging during the upward swing of the bounce cycle and re-engaging during the downward swing. When I moved the equalizer hitch down and used less weight distribution effect, the ride was much better. I would take that as during the oscillation, the axle was not bouncing on and off the timbrens.
steveledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #25
Desert185

In my case, I didn't use the included, 1/2" spacers. Unloaded, the suspension rides 1 1/2" off the Timbrens. Hitched, the suspension sacks 2", which compresses the Timbrens 1/2", and the truck sits level. The ride is good, hitched or not. Of course, the ride was good before I installed them, but the truck now sits level while hitched.

I would suppose the ride quality would be impacted negatively if the suspension made intermittent contact with the Timbrens. Maybe a call to the company will confirm the proper setup.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #26
audio1der

My thinking was: 3/4tons have higher ground clearance and therefore more suspension travel before sitting on the Timbrens, but it sounds like yours are "working" full time when towing. Maybe the durometer for the 3/4 ton is more closely calculated? Maybe your truck weighs more and would have less bounce/jounce than our 1500?
I did buy my set used from another 1500 member but the model# on them lined up with what the Timbren website said for 1500s.
All I know is ours were absolutely not acceptable. I have lowered the rear of the truck, and the ride was better when I first lowered it too much and rode the heck out of the stock bumpstops for 7 hrs each way towing through the Rockies, then our only 3 hours trip on the Timbrens with stock susp. travel.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote