Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
wyo

tow vehicle

I'm new at this. I'm think on buying a used 2012 dodge ram 3500 longhorn dully diesel to pull my raptor 41 foot toy hauler is this dodge a good truck for towing.
wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
gearhead

Ask your friends for a good diesel shop/mechanic. Take the truck there and pay them to inspect it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo View Post
I'm new at this. I'm think on buying a used 2012 dodge ram 3500 longhorn dully diesel to pull my raptor 41 foot toy hauler is this dodge a good truck for towing.
The dodges are great for towing, you won't be disappointed, do as suggested and have it inspected. If you are in ky or close to it. I have a friend with a 2013 for sale, great price on the truck plus it has the aisin transmission in it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
DiverB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo View Post
Wyo,

I own a 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited and its amazing. I towed my Fleetwood gearbox (11,000lbs) before I sold it, and my dully barley knew it was back there. I had a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins that I put 144,000 trouble free miles on it and before that I had a 2004 5.9L Cummins with 203,000 miles on it.

I don't keep my diesels stock for various reasons, but even in the stock form you will be very happy with the Dodge. It will tow nicely and the interior is very comfortable. I'm trying to decided between the Fuzion 390 or the Raptor 365LEV. My buddy has a Raptor 365 and loves it.

A few questions for you and your potential new truck: 1 how many miles on it and what kind of driving has it been used for? I ask this because if its stock and it was just used for daily driving, I would make sure the DPF is not clogged. If it has been used for farm use and towing, then the DPF issue is not that big of a deal since towing generates higher EGT's and will burn off the soot build up. Don't idle that truck for long periods if its still stock, it will clog the DPF after time. If you do idle, use the high idle function. (turn cruise control on and hit the acc button on the steering wheel). On a side note, if by chance the truck your looking at is NOT stock and is modified like my truck, and the owner is running an aggressive tuner or bigger injectors and CP3/lift pump, then my first question would be why does he want to sell it and I would urge you to take a oil sample and send it off to insure there's no antifreeze in the oil which could mean a possible head gasket leak. A lot of guys will install big injectors or a tuner for the diesels and they hot rod the trucks so much that they blow head gaskets and that's pretty $$$ to fix. Head studs can fix and help prevent the problem but again its pretty $$.

This is just my nickels worth of opinion. Bottom line these trucks are awesome tow machines and when taken care of will last you years to come. I hope to have my truck for the next 10+ years
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote