Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Cnc_hemi

Biggest tires

I have a stock 2012 gmc sierra z71 2500 HD with the 6.6 duramax. What is the biggest 20" tires I can put on it. I plan on keeping it stock height.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
bobbecky

I know the trend is bigger wheels, but we also have a 2012 2500HD CC D/A Z71, only it's a Chevy, and when we test drove the truck, the dealer had changed the wheels and tires to 20", and not knowing any difference, both my wife and I thought it was a very rough ride, but we liked the truck for everything else. When we were doing the paperwork with the salesman, he was required to inform us that the wheels were not what came with it from the factory. I immediately told him I wanted the original wheels/tires due to us using the truck to tow a 5th wheel trailer. They changed them out and we are very happy with the improved ride. After driving on some of this lands worst roads, those 20's would have never made it, and we would really be suffering from the ride. I've talked to several tire people, and they say the same thing, the lower profile tires can't handle the rough roads, both the tires and the wheels receive a lot of damage from the bad roads. This is from the owner's manual:

20‐Inch Tires
If the vehicle has 20‐inch P275/55R20 size tires, they are classified as touring tires and are designed for on road use. The low‐profile, wide tread design is not recommended for “off‐road” driving or commercial uses such as snow plowing. See Off-Road Driving on page 9‑6 and Adding a Snow Plow or Similar Equipment on page 9‑115 for additional information.Notice: Low‐profile tires are more susceptible to damage from road hazards or curb impact than standard profile tires. Tire and/or wheel
assembly damage can occur when coming into contact with road hazards like, potholes, or sharp edged objects, or when sliding into a curb. The warranty does not cover this type of damage. Keep tires set to the correct inflation pressure and, when possible, avoid contact with curbs, potholes, and other road hazards.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #3
Quad

My truck is a 2005 and I have 305/55-20 tires. They are a lower profile tire. I love the look. But they are wide and tend to act like ski's while in snow or wet pavement. I'd do a narrower tire next time. My friend has 315's on 18's on his 2012 and loves them. They are 35" tall. We've used his truck to pull my 5er on guys fishing trips before and not had an problems ether. Just make sure you don't go super wide and a taller side wall does give smoother ride too.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH