Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
jimzdat

Which pin box should I get?

OK - We bought a new fifth wheel last fall, still has the OEM pin box on it. This obviously results in a fair amount of "chucking" while going down the road; general consensus is that a different pin box will provide considerably more comfort while towing.

I'm looking at a few different options, and was hoping someone here could chime in with opinions, pros/cons, etc on these things.

What I'm towing with: 2003 CCLB DRW

What I'm towing: Keystone Fuzion 360 - max GVWR is 18K, max pin weight 2900#

The options I'm looking at:

Mor-Ryde

Demco Glide-Ride

TrailAir

Fifth Airbor

Given those options, looks like I'll be spending between $600-900 - so trying to stay in that range; running a B&W Companion, so don't want the "sidewinder" type of hitches.

Thanks for your input,
Jim
jimzdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Jim W

I was in the same dilemma that you are in last year. I asked for opinions from hotshotters on other Cummins forum sites. Since they pull a lot of different campers and trailers for a living. There recommendations were the 1.Demco Glide, 2. Mor-Ryde 3.TrailAir Pin Box 4.Fifth Airborne in this order.

The Demco Glide and the Mor-Ryde are very similar to each other, only different construction methods to achieve the same results. The first two in my opinion will only eliminate fore and aft motion when towing with this style of pinbox.

So I went with the TrailAir pinbox since I was looking for a device that would eliminate up and down a along with fore and aft motion. The Trailair Pin box fill this requirement for me. I have only towed with this pinbox twice last year. So it is too early to form a solid opinion but right now it seems like the correction decision for me. This did eliminate 90% of the chucking and soomth out the ride between the 5er and pick-up truck.

I purchased my pinbox on line from Tweety's, it was under $800 with free shipping. Here is the link http://tweetys.com/

The next improvement will be in the suspension that I will install at a later date.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Firecapt

I'll second the Trailair pin box. Now, it seems as if the 5er is hardly there, before the change we felt as if we were on an amusement ride while towing.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
msp2jxr

I installed the Mor/Ryde on my Sundance 287XLR. Adding the new pin box made a HUGE difference. Most of the chucking was eliminated and it was smoother and quieter when I stopped and started. No banging or clunking like the old pin box. I feel the the Mor/Ryde is an excellent value and delivered on its promises. I liked it so well I kept the Mor/Ryde and will put it on the new trailer when it arrives.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
geo

Thumbs up Thumbs up for TrailaAir

I will third the vote from Jim W and FireCapt for the TrailAir. I keep having to check the rearview mirror to make sure the Alpine is still there!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
jimzdat

Thanks everyone for the input - I ordered a TrailAir from Tweety's, now just waiting for it to show up......
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
SJMcKee

Pin boxes

Ok, so I'm really new at this. So your talking about the in on the 5th wheel that can be removed and a different one added. Benefit?
I have a 2009TE,302 and it jerks (chucking?)my 3500 Duramx pretty good. So I can switch this out with a new pin plate. Any welding involved?
I've put up with this for two years now. Really got my interest!

Steve, Calhan, Co
SJMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
SJMcKee

Jim how do you like the companion hitch? I have one on mine. I'm pretty happy with the service. The dealer is sending me a new damper to replace mine since it started to leak. No charge.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Firecapt

Steve,

The entire pinbox can be removed and replaced with something like this one:

http://www.trailair.com/products/airpin/

I replaced mine with the Trailair and what a difference! Before the replacement, the 5er jerked the TV around like you wouldn't believe; now you can hardly tell it's back there.

There are other alternatives for the pinbox replacement as well as 5th wheel hitches that accomplish the same thing. I can highly recommend the Trailair Airpin.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMcKee View Post
Jim how do you like the companion hitch? I have one on mine. I'm pretty happy with the service. The dealer is sending me a new damper to replace mine since it started to leak. No charge.
I do not have a companion hitch. I have the Reese 16K slider hitch with the Blue OX bed saver attached to my hitch. My pin box is a TrailAir pin box on the 5er.
Sorry for any misunderstanding I might have caused.
Jim W.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
jimzdat

He may have been asking me - the other Jim

So far, it's great; only towed with it a few times - love the fact of no rails iin the bed. Time will tell how well it holds up over the long run, but it seems to be a pretty well made unit.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #12
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzdat View Post

So far, it's great; only towed with it a few times - love the fact of no rails iin the bed. Time will tell how well it holds up over the long run, but it seems to be a pretty well made unit.
Yes, I saw that after I posted my response.
Jim
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
SJMcKee

Companion hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzdat View Post

Thanks for getting me straight, love my hitch as well, been pulling with it two years now, get a little paranoid when I walk by other 5rs, and see the massive hitches in there beds, Compared to mine. Always carry my torque wrench on long outings to check once in awhile. The only bolt that i've had to watch is that top bolt that screws into the post. I did find it loose once, knowing it was torqued. Like the fact i can still use the gooseneck easily. Got my replacement piston today, so that should help the ride a little. Steve