Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Yakburger

Norco 5.1 leveling system

On my new 22RBPR the Norco stabilizing system just suddenly stopped working. No power at the switch. Anyone heard of this before or have any suggestions? I haven't pulled any fuses yet and I imagine there might even be a inline fuse but I'm not sure. Taking the TT back to the dealer is a four hour trip so I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. I wonder if Camping World does warranty work on Keystone RVs? Anyway, thanks for any input.
Yakburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I can't answer your leveling question but I can the warranty one. Keystone does not "require" a dealer to perform warranty work on a trailer that they did not sell, it's at their discretion. It's certainly worth a call to find out if they are willing to do it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
Yakburger

Well, I thought I would respond now that I have had some time to research and troubleshoot this issue. The BAL SS 5.1 stabilizing unit does not have a control panel anywhere on the RV. It gets direct power from the battery and is grounded on the body of the RV. I traced the power from the circuit breaker on the front of the RV that supplies power to the unit and I have power at the breaker on both posts. I pulled the control panel on the unit and checked that I have power on the wire harness at the connector that goes into the control panel so the problem has to be within the panel itself. I called Norco today, a little to late to get the support rep in charge of this product but I left a message and will give him a little while to call back or will be calling him tomorrow. I read on another forum that Norco is pretty good about supporting their products so I wait to see what happens next. The dealer gave me bogus information but they work with so many different products that I don't really blame them. Anyway, I report whatever I find out after the issue is resolved. Below is a photo of the unit with the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	24367  
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Yakburger

Thumbs up

Issue resolved. I talked with Norco/BAL support tech last week and he sent me a new control panel for the stabilizer. I just attached it and I'm back in business again. Kudos to Norco for helping me solve this problem.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Gates2

Norco BAL SS 5.1 stabilizer system

I am experiencing the same issue on my new 2020 Keystone Premier 30RI. The power intermittently started going out on the panel and now won’t power up and if I’d does it does not stay on. I have checked the voltage and grounds and getting the proper voltAge at the panel but the panel will not power up. Spoke to Norco rep twice explaining and he said have to go through camping world. Norco will not do anything. Camping world is weeks out just to drop off and will be in line at shop for weeks after effectively preventing use of the new trailer this summer. It just needs a new board and I can install easily. I am even willing to pay out of pocket for a new board just to salvage the season.
Not happy and this is not acceptable.
Gates2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates2 View Post
I am experiencing the same issue on my new 2020 Keystone Premier 30RI. The power intermittently started going out on the panel and now won’t power up and if I’d does it does not stay on. I have checked the voltage and grounds and getting the proper voltAge at the panel but the panel will not power up. Spoke to Norco rep twice explaining and he said have to go through camping world. Norco will not do anything. Camping world is weeks out just to drop off and will be in line at shop for weeks after effectively preventing use of the new trailer this summer. It just needs a new board and I can install easily. I am even willing to pay out of pocket for a new board just to salvage the season.
Not happy and this is not acceptable.

I'm afraid you picked the wrong time of year to find a hiccup. With the Covid lockdown, the spike in trailer sales due to that and it just being this time of year, I suspect the dealer has a full log.

On the other hand they're just stabilizers. I wouldn't pass up a camping season due to that I'd come up with a work around. Do the stabilizers have a manual override so you can deploy them without the control panel? Can you use some old manual scissor jacks?

Don't know how well you know you're dealer but one of the cardinal rules (to me) of purchasing a trailer is "know the dealer" - along with floorplan, floorplan. Good luck sorting it out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Gates2

The control is for the tongue as well and that is the problem. I can run the stabilizer jacks manually but the tongue is nearly impossible.
Gates2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

This seems like something that BAL could resolve quickly if they would. I'm sure they want CW to determine the issue so they don't send you a board, then that 's not it, then it's another assembly etc.

If it's apparent that it is a malfunction of that control assembly I would be in contact with Norco/BAL at another level. You should not have to got through all that for a summer. Sounds like it is an obvious failure in the BAL system, not much else for them to blame.

As for me I would be escalating to the top of the ladder and let it trickle back down. Unfortunately, until this evening I've never tried to dig into Norco/BAL corporation. Unlike virtually any company I've dug into this one almost seems like smoke and mirrors....but I know it's not. Seems the Tallman family kind of runs the thing and from looking at various sources it appears Michael Tallman is President/CEO. You might dig into his contact info and shoot him info on your situation. If you can't, let the rep you talk to know you are looking to him for resolution.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
notanlines

This may not be pleasing to your ears or to your billfold, but to salvage your season, go to Harbor Freight or Ebay and pick up a bottom of the line tongue jack or simply bring a bottle jack with you to the RV park and use them to level your unit. This is no hill for a climber. Level your unit left to right with 2x8's and front to back with the new tongue jack. Easy button pushed, and then get on with following Danny's advice of starting at the top!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Gene l

Same problem here. 2019 premier travel trailer. It just lost power one day. I took off the control panel, unplugged power cord, then reinserted. Seemed to work, then quit again after 5 cycles.

Been doing this all summer, finally contacted Norco, they confirmed I needed a new board

Unfortunately I’m past the 1 year warranty by a few months, although they did tell me what part number I need.

Guess I’m off shopping for a new board.
Gene l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene l View Post
Same problem here. 2019 premier travel trailer. {..}
Unfortunately I’m past the 1 year warranty by a few months, although they did tell me what part number I need.

Same here. Premier 24RKPR, and about 6 weeks out of warranty. It just stopped while I was reeling them up. In addition, the left front jack is frozen tight. Can't even move it with a socket and breaker bar. That last part may be on me. I used a drill on it, and then read you are not supposed to do that.

Sounds like the power problem is not unusual.

I'm going to finish the season with a bottle jack - as was suggested earlier.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Gene l

Rwriley...did you try to reboot by disconnecting power supply to main board? Curious if that would help you out
Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
RWRiley

Quote:
Rwriley...did you try to reboot by disconnecting power supply to main board? Curious if that would help you out
At the site, I raised the tongue jack manually. After I pulled it 200 miles over some very rough roads, I had power back to the jack and was able to run the tongue jack and 3 out of 4 stabilizer jacks.

If it happens again I will try pulling the fuse to reboot it.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 10-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
dogman88

Norco BAL SS 5.1

2019 Premier also started losing power sporadically about 6 months, while raising or lowering stabilizers. Same scenario, power getting to panel. Found if I reboot (unplug from back of control board) for 10-30 seconds, and plug back in, it usually works to get me through the trip or unhooked. Not a lot of room between plug and control board (zero excess wiring harness, but do-able). Also out of warranty, need to but another control board.

Gene, what part number did they supply you with for the board?

dogman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #15
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman88 View Post
Not a lot of room between plug and control board (zero excess wiring harness, but do-able).[/I]
In my case, I can pull the power via an in-line fuse so I don't have to unplug the board.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 AM   #16
Jlafave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman88 View Post
2019 Premier also started losing power sporadically about 6 months, while raising or lowering stabilizers. Same scenario, power getting to panel. Found if I reboot (unplug from back of control board) for 10-30 seconds, and plug back in, it usually works to get me through the trip or unhooked. Not a lot of room between plug and control board (zero excess wiring harness, but do-able). Also out of warranty, need to but another control board.

Gene, what part number did they supply you with for the board?

Where did you locate the control board? I am in need of a new one too as mine just stopped working after a long haul. Found this thread and after disconnecting and reconnecting it worked so I think I have a bad control board too.
Jlafave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:15 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlafave11 View Post
Where did you locate the control board? I am in need of a new one too as mine just stopped working after a long haul. Found this thread and after disconnecting and reconnecting it worked so I think I have a bad control board too.

This thread is almost 2 years old. You might want to start a new thread in the appropriate forum with your problem/question to get more responses.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #18
Gene l

I’m still just resetting the main board, haven’t replaced it as of yet. I lost the original email from Bal, sent them another email in regards to part number.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #19
Yakburger

Just an update from my original post. My stabalizing unit has worked well ever since replacing the panel as mentioned in above post. I do cross my fingers every time I go to use it however.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:56 AM   #20
Yakburger

uPDATE. Took the RV in to CW for a different issue. When I went to pick it up the retract button on the panel didn't light up or work. Left it with CW and they just told me the entire jack has to be replaced. Hope this finally fixes the issue.

I noticed that the brand new Premiers have a different system than those on the 2019.

Tags
leveling