Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
Shorner1965

Sealing roof on 2016 sprinter campfire edition

Hello all,
I am new to rv'ing and would like to know if it is ok (safe) to stand or crawl on my recently purchased 2016 sprinter campfire edition 32bh to seal around the AC unit? I have a small drip when it rains and the previous owners said they never got on the roof or had to do any sealing. I read on internet if no ladder usually shouldn't stand on roof. If my son about 150 lbs cannot stand on the roof how would he go about cleaning area to apply new sealant. If you have nothing nice or positive to say please do not say anything, as I buried my partner of over 22 years in April 2023 and get very emotional. Thank you for any help.
Shorner1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorner1965 View Post
Hello all,
I am new to rv'ing and would like to know if it is ok (safe) to stand or crawl on my recently purchased 2016 sprinter campfire edition 32bh to seal around the AC unit? I have a small drip when it rains and the previous owners said they never got on the roof or had to do any sealing. I read on internet if no ladder usually shouldn't stand on roof. If my son about 150 lbs cannot stand on the roof how would he go about cleaning area to apply new sealant. If you have nothing nice or positive to say please do not say anything, as I buried my partner of over 22 years in April 2023 and get very emotional. Thank you for any help.
Welcome and no need to feel anyone will give you a hard time for asking any question. The 2016 Sprinter brochure says the roof has steel rafters and 3/8" plywood decking and is walkable. Double check yourself in the brochure:
https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...e-brochure.pdf
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If the drip is at the AC unit, you need to remove the ceiling assembly and tighten the 4 corner mounting bolts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:12 PM   #4
Shorner1965

Thank you so much! I am in a few of these sites on Facebook and have had some rude comments asking why I would buy an rv with no knowledge and things like that, just hurt my feelings as I am still pretty emotional. I did it because lot rent is only $800 monthly with lots of amenities and apartments are 2 and 3 times that here in Florida. I very much appreciate your information. My son will find this very useful. Have a Blessed day.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Sherry
Old 10-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

As a site team member, I can assure you that we don’t judge, allow others to judge or allow any rude members.

We monitor posts on a regular basis and deal with issues as swiftly as we can. Please feel free to ask ANYTHING. We were all brand new at some point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

To echo Chuck's post we do not allow that demeaning behavior here. You are having an issue and folks here want to (and enjoy) helping others. Don't be shy, ask away.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Last week my sister (75 yes old) passed after nearly a moth in hospic. Hang in there, folks do care and want to help with your RV challenges.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:48 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

What Chuck said... when he said to remove "ceiling assembly" he meant the part on the inside of the camper. The A/C up top sits on a 14x14" hole with a foam gasket to keep out water. The four long screws he mentioned go up from inside and screw into the frame on the A/C and may need snugged. I have to stand on a stool in my 5th wheel to do the tightening part.
Old 10-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I will chime in as well. This is not facebook. We monitor this site literally constantly and rude, demeaning comments aren't allowed. We do however really like to help folks so ask away without fear. There was a time I didn't know anything about an RV....as is the case with every RV owner.

One concern I have from your comments; you said the previous owner never got on the roof or did any sealing, that is not good for a 7 year old camper....not good at all.

Get a ladder long enough for your son to get on the roof along with a couple of stiff 2'x2' square supports to go under him to work across that roof. I've never had to do that but others here will chime in with whatever material they have used. Be careful not to tear the roof membrane. With those your son can work around the A/C, vents etc. to inspect, clean and reseal them. IMO I would reseal the entire thing. The edges along the top sides I would just work along those with a ladder.

Again, ask with any questions. It shows you're in FL so the rains are coming and that roof needs to be sealed. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #9
Shorner1965

Thank you, I will.

Sherry
Old 10-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
Shorner1965

I think I will Unsubscribe to the rv sites on Facebook, people are much nicer here.

Sherry
Old 10-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will chime in as well. This is not facebook. We monitor this site literally constantly and rude, demeaning comments aren't allowed. We do however really like to help folks so ask away without fear. There was a time I didn't know anything about an RV....as is the case with every RV owner.

One concern I have from your comments; you said the previous owner never got on the roof or did any sealing, that is not good for a 7 year old camper....not good at all.

Get a ladder long enough for your son to get on the roof along with a couple of stiff 2'x2' square supports to go under him to work across that roof. I've never had to do that but others here will chime in with whatever material they have used. Be careful not to tear the roof membrane. With those your son can work around the A/C, vents etc. to inspect, clean and reseal them. IMO I would reseal the entire thing. The edges along the top sides I would just work along those with a ladder.

Again, ask with any questions. It shows you're in FL so the rains are coming and that roof needs to be sealed. Good luck.
Dan, the 2016 Sprinter brochure said the roofs are walkable. 3/8" plywood decking over steel rafters. I walk on my roof when necesary and I am about twice as stout as the 150 pounder. BTW: Didn't know FB had a Keystone group. I don't and won't do FB. This forum, a couple of gun forums, a couple of motorcycle forums are about as close as I get to social. The missus loves FB as it helps her keep in touch with family and friends; they are the only one she is linked to or whatever you call it.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Dan, the 2016 Sprinter brochure said the roofs are walkable. 3/8" plywood decking over steel rafters. I walk on my roof when necesary and I am about twice as stout as the 150 pounder. BTW: Didn't know FB had a Keystone group. I don't and won't do FB. This forum, a couple of gun forums, a couple of motorcycle forums are about as close as I get to social. The missus loves FB as it helps her keep in touch with family and friends; they are the only one she is linked to or whatever you call it.

Excellent. I did not look. At 150lbs. he will probably be OK anyway if he watches his step and "feels" the roof as he goes.

Like you I don't participate on facebook. I did for a while and got 3 viruses over a period of a couple of years and it attacked my email so I just don't. DW doesn't either. I thought I would really miss the communication with my high school class but was just informed of a death among us yesterday....via text!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

When I seal the seams on the roof I do most of the work off a Little Giant style ladder but I have very long arms. For the areas that I can't reach like the one side of the A/C unit (ours is off center), the Ota antenna, etc.then I use several of the HFT foam kneeling pads https://www.harborfreight.com/foam-k...pad-56572.html . They are very light, easy to move around and very low cost.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 08:03 AM   #14
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorner1965 View Post
Thank you so much! I am in a few of these sites on Facebook and have had some rude comments asking why I would buy an rv with no knowledge and things like that, just hurt my feelings as I am still pretty emotional. I did it because lot rent is only $800 monthly with lots of amenities and apartments are 2 and 3 times that here in Florida. I very much appreciate your information. My son will find this very useful. Have a Blessed day.
Friend don’t worry about or let some comments bother you. There are always some idiots out there. You will find here that 99 % of the members are great people and always willing to help. Just remember wherever you go. There is that 1% that are idiots. Welcome to the family enjoy your travels. Have a question just ask and someone will answer it. Be safe out there.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #15
vando45

I have a 2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition 27RL. I was probably 260# the first time I went on the roof, no problem. I lean an extension ladder against the side, I like the extra ladder sticking above the roof to hang on to when I'm getting on and off. You are going to want to check ALL of the caulking on the roof. We had the caulking split between the roof and the front cap when it was only 3 years old. Water got in down the front. I had just checked it in May, and it started leaking in July during a heavy thunderstorm.
2018 Toyota Tundra
vando45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:26 AM   #16
PolarisCobra

YouTube can be your friend for tips to reseal the roof. Be sure to look at more than one video, and make your own choice about the best next steps. Anyone can post anything on you tube, and you can get some lousy advice there. Look at a few videos, you will get a feel for who is credible.

Also, there is a series of maintenance videos on the Keystone website.

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to

You may find several of these useful.
Here is one about roof repairs.

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to/rv-roof-faqs

Facebook can be the wild wild west, more junk info there and good for the most part.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, sprinter