Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2022, 11:42 AM   #1
Dodge405

2017 keystone sprinter 357 fwlft generator recommendations

Hello all I have just purchased a 2017 keystone 357 fwlft and the dealer told me I needed a 50 amp service generator but didn’t have a specific brand to tell me, thought this was the next best place. I would prefer to purchase from amazon, if anyone can provide some help I would really appreciate.

Thank you
Dodge405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
Canonman

You might take a look at the Onan-Cummins QG5500
https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-5500
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #3
Dodge405

Thank you Canonman but that one is a bit out of my price range. This is going to be for my mother to live in and she was forced to sell an inheritance home that she lived in by her brother. The sell value was split and she was left with hardly anything. So she is needing something cheaper around a 1,000 if possible
Old 11-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If she’s ok with a portable gen, then you can probably find something in that price range. Look for 5500 watts, inverter type. Is the gen going to be the only power source?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
notanlines

Please, please tell us that this for emergency use only. The fuel alone would run $1,000 per month on just a very small load running full time. Not to mention you'd buy a new generator every three months, or more often.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
travelin texans

Is it not going to be powered by shore power? It would be cheaper to add a 50 plug to your house than to buy a big enough generator to power everything on board.
Is the generator for emergency back up or fulltime use? If only for emergencies, a 2000 watt portable would be sufficient to power lights, furnace & keep the batteries charged.
Why would the dealer tell you that it was needed unless living off grid fulltime?
We live in a modular home in a rv resort that the rent & utilities are less than $500 a month with lots of amenities & activities during the winter.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

What climate is she in? Unless you are trying to run both AC’s simultaneously you shouldn’t need a 50A service this time of year in most areas. Also, as others have said it is VERY costly (and noisy), maybe even dangerous to run a generator full time as a main power source.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Please, please tell us that this for emergency use only. The fuel alone would run $1,000 per month on just a very small load running full time. Not to mention you'd buy a new generator every three months, or more often.
$1000 a month would be 9 gallons a day at roughly $4 a gallong. My WEN 6250W inverter generator:

4.2 gallon gas tank provides up to 8.1 hours of half-load run time

My thinking is that more like 12-15 gallons a day at whatever the local stuff is going for per gallon. My WEN generator would make an excellent backup generator but doubt I would want to power up a 50A camper on a temp (emergency) basis although it doesn't have a 50A RV plug. Just tossing this out to ensure that the OP is thinking about the fuel involved.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #9
Dodge405

I would like to start off by just saying thank you too everyone that replied to the post. I am going to try to answer everyones questions

The generator will need to be a permanent power source, there is no other option.

At the time due to finances the camper is going to be placed on a friends property, that does not have electric.

She understands the price of fuel and like I said before there is no other option.

At this time this is her only option, she gotan amazing deal on the camper due to some very nice people that worked at the dealer that understood her situation

Again thank you very much for all the replies.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:58 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge405 View Post
I would like to start off by just saying thank you too everyone that replied to the post. I am going to try to answer everyones questions

The generator will need to be a permanent power source, there is no other option.

At the time due to finances the camper is going to be placed on a friends property, that does not have electric.

She understands the price of fuel and like I said before there is no other option.

At this time this is her only option, she gotan amazing deal on the camper due to some very nice people that worked at the dealer that understood her situation

As I stated earlier parking her in a rv park that provides full hookups would be much cheaper than buying a large (50 amp capable) generator & keeping it fueled, not to mention help nearby if needed.
Not sure where you are located, but I'd guess there'd be some type of campground close by.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-03-2022, 11:23 PM   #11
Dodge405

Yes when we started searching for locations that is where we started, but we have called every single place within a 50 mile radius and there is 0 openings until maybe next summer, or they do not except here size camper.

So we ran out of options other then this one "friend" that is going to let her place it on the remote property.

Probably a silly question but other then a gen or solar , is there any other option?
Old 11-04-2022, 03:03 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:

if it’s a remote property what is she going to do about water and sewer? your gonna have to empty the black and gray tanks. and keep the freshwater tank filled. unless you plan on dumping on the ground? or making some sort of septic system

i would call all the campgrounds within 100 miles if calling within 50 didn’t yield any results.

i don’t think you thought this thru all the way…

what about propane for the furnace if it’s in a cold climate? that will get really expensive really quick.

what happens when inevitably something breaks in the rv while your mom is on a remote property? gen failure or furnace failure ? freezing pipes?

the logistics of getting gasoline to the generator? you will be making multiple trips to fill up jugs plus storing gasoline in containers

it would be cheaper or safer to move from campground to campground every week and have the security and electric paid for then to live on a remote property with a generator and no hook ups

if you get a propane generator you can get bulk deliveries but still expensive

i know you said she got an amazing deal on the fifth wheel but it’s like someone giving you a free boat….if you don’t have a place to keep it ….it can get expensive
Old 11-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Yes when we started searching for locations that is where we started, but we have called every single place within a 50 mile radius and there is 0 openings until maybe next summer, or they do not except here size camper.

So we ran out of options other then this one "friend" that is going to let her place it on the remote property.

Probably a silly question but other then a gen or solar , is there any other option?
I have no idea where you're located, but if it's extremely cold you're putting her in peril in some remote location off grid by herself.
If bond & determined to place her there maybe go with the property owner & get at least power ran to there, you'd still be hauling water, waste & propane daily. If covered with snow solar will do nothing.
You haven't stated what size this 5th wheel is or what kind of shape it's in? I'd think with a free or near free 5th wheel the condition might limit the parks availability rather than the size.
I'd look farther away for something any place other that what you're attempting.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
generator, keystone, sprinter