Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Stunya

Looking at a 2013 Premier 31 BHPR

Hello all. Long time lurker and first time poster. Been looking at gently used travel trailers for about a year and found a good looking 2013 Premier BHPR.

I checked it out today and found all testable functions working (slides, lights, etc), but the unit is winterized, so I couldn't check water flow and too cold for A/C.

I am well versed in used cars and am mechanically savvy. Can I get some advice of things that I should look for to ensure I am not buying a lemon? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Stunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Steve S

Welcome from BC I would check under everything for any signs of leaks.Check the roof to make sure that everything's fine and no signs of loose caulking and that the roofing material isn't about to cause you any problems.
As for it being winterized if the dealer knows that you want it they should let you check that out. An AC unit will cost you money if it doesn't work so turn it on and let it run. Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! You didn't say if this was from a dealer or from an individual. Check the big things. Roof first, tires second, furnace, appliances, air. Water will be hard to check without water. Spring is just around the corner so waiting may alleviate this and allow dewinterizing. Where/how has it been stored? How long has it been sitting? The tires are probably at the end of their life and you should think about replacement soon. Walmart has a good price on Carlisle tires right now but would have to be mounted/balanced at another shop. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Yzf

I just registered also and had a long reply typed but it logged me out and deleted it. I'll redo the rest later but I have a 2014 31bhpr and the biggest issue is if it has the dark colored front gel cap it will need to be repainted soon. If it is white it may not be an issue
Yzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Stunya

I should have mentioned this was a private local deal. Trailer has about 1800 miles, it was primarily a tow and set up, then leave it type usage. It appears to have been outside its entire life and the front cap is definitely fading( do I need to fix that right away)?

I am confident if I agree to a deal and get a smart contract in place, the seller would agree to cover any costs if the equipment doesn't work during spring set up (something like hold 1000$ in escrow or something). From what I can tell, seller seems honest and motivated.

I checked inside for water damage, what's the best way to check the roof? Just visual? Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks for the rapid replies. This is pretty nerve racking without knowing a ton about travel trailers.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Stunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzf View Post
I just registered also and had a long reply typed but it logged me out and deleted it. I'll redo the rest later but I have a 2014 31bhpr and the biggest issue is if it has the dark colored front gel cap it will need to be repainted soon. If it is white it may not be an issue
I very much look forward to your feedback.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Roof check is visual. Your roof may be a Non walkable roof, Meaning that it wasn't designed to be walked on. In those cases a good ladder will do for now. Your wanting to inspect any and all seams, looking for any voids in the sealant. make sure the membrane doesn't have any tears/rips, those should be fairly obvious. If the roof has any wide tape in any spots, then I would question what happened as that tape is called Eterna Bond and is used as a repair mainly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Stunya

Headed back tomorrow to finalize the deal. We are going to dewinterize and make sure all systems are working. Any other last minute tips?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Cbrez

Stunya, In addition to recommendations above, I would check the date of manufacture stamped on the tires. It would not be a deal breaker, just an indication of how soon you might need to buy new tires. We are getting ready to travel across country, so we just replaced our 2014 Trailer Kings (China bombs) with Good Year G640s. Expensive mod, but added piece of mind.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
LuapFrodnetto

I have a tire suggestion. After two blowouts that destroyed the fender skirts from c rated tires, I upgraded the tires of my 31BHPR last week to the new Goodyear Endurance, which is D rated. I also went from a 205 tire to the 215. It fits fine and even gives you more load per tire and is more stable. By doing this, I added 1800 lbs that the tires can handle. That doesn't mean I plan to carry more weight, but just that much more safety. It rides incredibly better too.
LuapFrodnetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Tbos

Stunya,
How did it go getting your new to you RV? Post some pictures when you get the chance.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Stunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Stunya,
How did it go getting your new to you RV? Post some pictures when you get the chance.
Sorry it took so long to get back with everyone! Pick up went well. Seller was super helpful. We dewinterized and ran all systems. I have had it about 2 weeks.

Here is the only pic I have right now:

Now I just have to equip it. Anyone have some good links to all the "must haves?" We plan on doing a local shakedown overnight at a campground within 20-30 minutes just to make sure we figure everything out.

Thanks to everyone for the support and help in bringing this beast home!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:19 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd suggest not buying because you can, but instead buying because you need it as a good rule. We purchased based on living in a sticks and bricks and now I'm busy taking things out we don't use. Just a thought to keep in mind. Good looking rig. I'm glad it went well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #14
Tbos

Glad pick up went well. If you have a good fresh water hose, a reliable sewer hose, some wheel chocks and some blocks for leveling you are off to a good start. Don't forget skewers for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs. Have fun on your shake down.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunya View Post
Sorry it took so long to get back with everyone! Pick up went well. Seller was super helpful. We dewinterized and ran all systems. I have had it about 2 weeks.

Here is the only pic I have right now:

Now I just have to equip it. Anyone have some good links to all the "must haves?" We plan on doing a local shakedown overnight at a campground within 20-30 minutes just to make sure we figure everything out.

Thanks to everyone for the support and help in bringing this beast home!
There have been lots of threads about what to get for the trailer. I'm attaching a link to a thread that discusses that topic and it has a couple of other links inside it.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ighlight=lists
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote