Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
PaulandJan

Black and Gray tank labels reversed on new 33RES

Just finished our first trip on our 2016 33RES. When we got home I was giving final cleaning to black tank and noticed that the valve that is labeled GRAY is the one that drains the black tank goop. Luckily when I turned on flush water I had both black and gray valves open or could have damaged the black tank. I have emailed Keystone about this with photo and requested new labels to put on.
PaulandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
fourfourto

Re: Black and Gray tank labels reversed on new 33RES

When dumping and having both valves open wouldn't the black tank contaminate the gray tank ?
I never had both open at same time ?

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
When dumping and having both valves open wouldn't the black tank contaminate the gray tank ?

I never had both open at same time ?

Waste water would have to flow uphill from the termination fitting into the gray tank. If both tanks are flowing then they mix in the hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Williston324

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Waste water would have to flow uphill from the termination fitting into the gray tank. If both tanks are flowing then they mix in the hose.
IF the drain hose got clogged, highly unlikely, the tanks would equalize.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
PaulandJan

I dump the black then dump the gray to flush the discharge pipe. Never have both open until the black stops draining. This rig has two gray and one black tank and valves.
PaulandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
poppin_fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulandJan View Post
Luckily when I turned on flush water I had both black and gray valves open or could have damaged the black tank.
Just FYI, you wont damage the tank by having the valve closed while using the tank flush.

The reason the tank flusher warns to keep the valve open is because they are afraid people will get distracted, over fill the tank via the flusher, and end up with black water coming up through the toilet (or out the roof vent!).

I always close mine so that the flusher fills the tank some so I have an extra volume of water to help move waste out. I do this procedure a couple times typically.

When I do it though, I NEVER wander away or do other tasks and I keep a close eye on the panel to monitor the tank level.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #7
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppin_fresh View Post
Just FYI, you wont damage the tank by having the valve closed while using the tank flush.

The reason the tank flusher warns to keep the valve open is because they are afraid people will get distracted, over fill the tank via the flusher, and end up with black water coming up through the toilet (or out the roof vent!).

I always close mine so that the flusher fills the tank some so I have an extra volume of water to help move waste out. I do this procedure a couple times typically. When I do it though, I NEVER wander away or do other tasks and I keep a close eye on the panel to monitor the tank level.
A few comments about the above quote. [you won’t damage the tank by having the valve closed while using the tank flush.] I shudder when I see this posted as a comment. It’s been a long time (perhaps a year or two) since I remember anyone having posted their horror story of the black tank rupturing from an unattended drain valve left closed. BUT there have been many over the years. A toilet not only keeps a small amount of water residing in the bowl after a flush, but also will not relieve the over filling from its underside when a 5+ gallon per minute influx is flowing into the black tank. Instead, the water/effluent mixture will be directed to the vent pipe. Notice this is called a vent pipe not a relief pipe. I’ll forego the detailed physics of how a column of liquid can exert enormous pressure to the top of the black tank. Suffice it to say that between the moment liquid starts to enter the vent pipe (zero pounds lift) and a few seconds later as it reaches the opening on the roof, an approximate 4,000 lbs of lifting force will be exerted to the tank’s top. While the newer roto-casted current black tanks MAY survive the overfilling to the point where effluent may actually make it to the open roof vent, I’ve not heard of, or seen any data that that claims the new mfg process can withstand that happening. Undoubtedly the older style (upper/lower halves glued together) will split open, often with a bang. Personally, I would not use the tank indicator to signal when to open the flush valve. Black tank indicators are notorious for being inaccurate. Using an inline flow meter or setting of a timer to remind to open the drain valve, would be safer. Also remember, that as the tank becomes mostly full, the rinser head becomes buried and stops spraying the tank walls. It’s safer and more useful to flush and dump several times than try to entirely fill and then dump.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
theeyres

No you won't contaminate the gray water tank unless your water flows uphill. Reversed labels is one of the best kept secrets...I think employees do it for the heck of it! Happens all the time.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
gkainz

I think the dislexic guy who installs the dump labels was on vacation on the day my trailer was built. They just didn't install labels at all on mine. At least I wasn't misled into "assuming" which was which. BTW, on mine, "back is black". Of course, YMMV.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Somewhere in a break room in Inidana is a guy with a funny grin! " yep got me another one" the label thing has been going on for years It is almost a Keystone trademark!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:06 AM   #11
Gadgetpro71

Here we are years later and it’s still happening. I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar 369BHS and the tank valve labels are backwards.
Gadgetpro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetpro71 View Post
Here we are years later and it’s still happening. I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar 369BHS and the tank valve labels are backwards.

Welcome! Where would Texas, Ohio be?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:48 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome! Where would Texas, Ohio be?
About halfway between Napoleon and Waterville (not Waterloo)...

About 20-25 miles southwest of Toledo.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
About halfway between Napoleon and Waterville (not Waterloo)...

About 20-25 miles southwest of Toledo.

And there it is! I used googlemaps and it didn't take me anywhere so thought it might be ohio, tx which gave me a zip but just zeroed in on a blank area. Went back and tried again and I found it. Wish I was somewhere near a river like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
gkainz

I was thinking about those labels, and have to give old Larry the Label guy a break. I'll bet his job is to install the labels in the same place, the same way, every time.

I believe it's Donny Carl, the Dump Cable guy, who's screwing up! He picks a pair (or triplet) of inter-twined, tangled together dump cables, sticks one end on the dump valves, sticks the other ends thru the frame and attaches handles. ... NEXT!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
Desert185

Had to de-scale my Keurig yesterday. In the grand scheme of things, mislabeled tank valves are pretty low priority. Put a piece of duct tape, labeled "Black" with a Sharpie, on that valve handle and press on. No harm, minimum foul...until Thursday, then maximum fowl.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:52 AM   #17
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Just finished our first trip on our 2016 33RES. When we got home I was giving final cleaning to black tank and noticed that the valve that is labeled GRAY is the one that drains the black tank goop. Luckily when I turned on flush water I had both black and gray valves open or could have damaged the black tank. I have emailed Keystone about this with photo and requested new labels to put on.
This is another good reason to acquire the "see through" dump adapter. You'll never be misled again, promise you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81N4XDD7ZzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	44033  
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:45 AM   #18
Gadgetpro71

I have on. Still doesn’t fix poor craftsmanship.
Gadgetpro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:29 AM   #19
dutchmensport

Well, now that you the labels are opposite each other, why not just pull them off and use a sharpie and make your own label? Or for that matter, just remember which handle is which?

On my camper, the black tank has a black handle. The 2 gray tanks have a non-black, kind of silver grey color. My labels are there, but they are not anywhere near the valves. They are worthless.

About black water into the grey tank? I REALLY don't think that hurts anything. I can't imagine poop water backing up into the kitchen sink? Can you?

I backflush my grey into my black to help rinse it out. Both tanks flow to one discharge point. By inserting a Flush King valve on the end (and yes, that clear section is priceless), you dump the black tank first completely. Then close the flush king and let the grey water flow BACK into the black tank. Let it equalize and then close the grey again so no black will go into the grey. Now open the black again and watch the magic! Depending on how much water is in the grey, you can do this 3 times, and then still have enough grey water for a final rinse of the sewer hose. This saves running the black tank flusher and also cleans out the black tank, and saves a lot of water.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:17 AM   #20
firestation12

Quote:
Here’s another solution, different color handles available from Amazon and other fine retailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	44038  
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank