Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
jgruber15

New Trailer, a little concern with black flush system

Think I have a little issue with my black tank flush system. Sunday after doing final pack up, and I was emptying the black tank, and hooked up my gray hose to my black tank flush system, turned it on slowly, and let it do it's thing (typically let it run for 10m), while I was packing everything else up, and noticed some water dripping from the back left of the trailer, and the left side of the fender well. Also noticed a little water in the bathroom, but I didn't have time to really look into it.

Once I got home, I started looking around, and did some research about it, and I think the issue is the check valve, under the sink (See Picture). My check valve seems to look different than some other ones I've seen.

I was also not using a water pressure regulator when I was flushing the black tank.

Anyone have experience with this?

Trailer in question is a 2017 21LHSWE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	11306  
jgruber15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Mike484

Re: New Trailer, a little concern with black flush system

I wouldn't think the sink should be tied in with the black tank.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I have to agree with that --- but RV manufacturer's aren't always the smartest when placing parts and assembling these 'boxes on wheel'.

I would expect to see a gray water tank vent valve under the bathhroom sink counter top though.

As far as black drain valve seals - our 5er had the outlet side restricting solids flow but no leak.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
jgruber15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Not tied into it, just under it.

The vacuum breaker line comes into it from the same general location as the outside black tank flush hookup, and the other side of the breaker goes right into the floor.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

With the additional information, I'd suspect that either there is a leaking plumbing connection under your sink (probably at the anti-siphon valve) or a broken/defective/leaking valve. They are very easy to replace. If you are still "in warranty", discuss with your dealer and get a replacement valve from him under the warranty. If you're not in warranty, then it's up to you whether to replace the valve with a similar one, go to HD/Lowe's and buy brass parts to replace the bad one or to just install a "straight through coupler" and use a "backflow valve" at the end of your hose. All of those options are "well discussed" in threads on this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend using a water pressure regulator with the black tank flush system. Too much pressure can damage the system and it's expensive to replace (parts are cheap, man hours are expensive).....

While you're working under the vanity, be sure to tighten up your bathroom sink fixture connections and the drain connection as well. Vibrations from travel can easily loosen them as well as the anti-siphon valve connections.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
jgruber15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With the additional information, I'd suspect that either there is a leaking plumbing connection under your sink (probably at the anti-siphon valve) or a broken/defective/leaking valve. They are very easy to replace. If you are still "in warranty", discuss with your dealer and get a replacement valve from him under the warranty. If you're not in warranty, then it's up to you whether to replace the valve with a similar one, go to HD/Lowe's and buy brass parts to replace the bad one or to just install a "straight through coupler" and use a "backflow valve" at the end of your hose. All of those options are "well discussed" in threads on this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend using a water pressure regulator with the black tank flush system. Too much pressure can damage the system and it's expensive to replace (parts are cheap, man hours are expensive).....

While you're working under the vanity, be sure to tighten up your bathroom sink fixture connections and the drain connection as well. Vibrations from travel can easily loosen them as well as the anti-siphon valve connections.
Thanks for the Info. Still under warranty, it's only a few months old. I'll have to call my dealer and see what they can do, I'd rather not drag it down there for them to replace a valve I can replace.

I have a water pressure regulator on order now.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly, if you call them and explain the situation, they have the valve on hand or can order it for you. Once the new one comes in, take your old one to them, pick up the new one and install it when you get home. Don't forget to use Teflon tape on the threads, often plastic threads leak and there's no way to tighten them enough to keep it from recurring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Did you have your black tank drain open? Running the sprinklers for 10 minutes could have filled the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Lee

Hi,

Under the bathroom sink seems to be the preferred location for the anti-backflow valve.

Was everything under the sink wet?

These valves are notorious for failure and will/can spray water all under the sink.

I removed mine and placed a straight through elbow in it's place. I use a dedicated hose with a brass anti-back flow adapter and also a pressure regulator to hook up to the flush adapter on the outside of the TT.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
jgruber15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

Under the bathroom sink seems to be the preferred location for the anti-backflow valve.

Was everything under the sink wet?

These valves are notorious for failure and will/can spray water all under the sink.

I removed mine and placed a straight through elbow in it's place. I use a dedicated hose with a brass anti-back flow adapter and also a pressure regulator to hook up to the flush adapter on the outside of the TT.

Lee
This is somewhat the scenario. It was only after I put the treatment into the toilet I noticed it.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Black tank "anti-siphon valve" looks can (and do) change regularly. As soon as a "RV Parts Supplier" finds a cheaper Chinese product (that still works/"sort of well") they market that new design to the RV industry. If it's 10 cents cheaper, it's a "tempting change" for any manufacturer. So, there's really no telling what you might find in two "identical RV models" or what we'll all see "as replacements" if we order a new valve or if we buy a new RV....

As for "water dripping from the back left of the trailer" it could mean a problem with the black tank flush system, it could be a defective tank dump valve gasket, a damaged tank, a water leak that "finally showed itself" or any number of other things. The only way you're going to know for sure where it came from is to crawl under your RV and do some inspecting. You'll probably find that it came from the black tank flush system nozzle connection (or a related PEX fitting), but then, it may well have come from a number of other related/unrelated places.

You didn't indicate "how" you were using the black tank flush system, so if you had the dump valve closed, is it possible you overfilled the black tank? If you weren't using a water pressure regulator, you "may have" (no definite yes) damaged the black flush line or nozzle. If you damaged the anti-siphon valve, then the leakage would most likely be under the sink and readily visible. Since you don't describe any water under the bathroom vanity, I'd think your anti-siphon valve is not damaged. Yes they are "fragile" but if it's not leaking water under the sink, it's probably not damaged.

As for shape, color or size, like "favorite teddy bears", the anti-siphon valve comes in all different "looks".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush valve2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11308   Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush valve3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	11309   Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush valve4.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	11310   Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush valve.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	11311  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
jgruber15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Black tank "anti-siphon valve" looks can (and do) change regularly. As soon as a "RV Parts Supplier" finds a cheaper Chinese product (that still works/"sort of well") they market that new design to the RV industry. If it's 10 cents cheaper, it's a "tempting change" for any manufacturer. So, there's really no telling what you might find in two "identical RV models" or what we'll all see "as replacements" if we order a new valve or if we buy a new RV....

As for "water dripping from the back left of the trailer" it could mean a problem with the black tank flush system, it could be a defective tank dump valve gasket, a damaged tank, a water leak that "finally showed itself" or any number of other things. The only way you're going to know for sure where it came from is to crawl under your RV and do some inspecting. You'll probably find that it came from the black tank flush system nozzle connection (or a related PEX fitting), but then, it may well have come from a number of other related/unrelated places.

You didn't indicate "how" you were using the black tank flush system, so if you had the dump valve closed, is it possible you overfilled the black tank? If you weren't using a water pressure regulator, you "may have" (no definite yes) damaged the black flush line or nozzle. If you damaged the anti-siphon valve, then the leakage would most likely be under the sink and readily visible. Since you don't describe any water under the bathroom vanity, I'd think your anti-siphon valve is not damaged. Yes they are "fragile" but if it's not leaking water under the sink, it's probably not damaged.

As for shape, color or size, like "favorite teddy bears", the anti-siphon valve comes in all different "looks".....
Thanks for the info. I'll give some more insight.

When I was emptying the black tank, I let it empty until I see hardly any waste run, then I plug in the gray hose to the flush system, and turned it on. I've never closed the black tank valve, and after about 1 min, I started to see water flushing from the blank tank, I let that run for about 10m, didn't see any more waste, turned off the water, closed the tank.

I went to put the blank tank treatment in the toilet, and noticed water on the outside of the vanity, and water splash was on some things under the tank, but everything was shutoff at that point.

I'm wondering if I should put a new check valve in place, and use a water pressure regulator inline with the black tank.