Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

NOW is the time....for camping!

Killing some time on a cold FL morning so......

We all know that RV ownership is exploding due to the current situation. New folks buying their first RVs which means they are "learning" on the road. Which brings me to the title of this thread and some observations. Now is truly the time to get out and just watch those in the campground - it's better than TLC and Discovery channels rolled into one!

Had 2 new campers pull in next to me a couple days ago; first time ownership, first trip. Setting up was interesting to watch as neither of them knew what went where. Every day they are trying to figure out something.

Hooking up the one next to me tried to turn on the water - water flooded out of the water heater door. Perplexed he turned it off and opened the door, picked up the anode rod and looked at it quizzically. Got a crescent and and tried to tighten it. I got a socket for it and he got it. Next they had no sewer hose; just some oddball parts piece parted together. Nothing for the threaded sewer inlet - they were stumped. I had various fittings to go into the sewer inlet but the end of the sewer hose had some kind of fitting not meant for a normal RV connection so none of them worked. They just pitched the hose on the ground and I went inside. I will note that neither had gloves. As I watched the owner decided to attach the sewer hose to the trailer...... Pulled off the sewer cap and brownish/orange water gushed out . He couldn't stop it so sat there on his knees with the cap pushed up against the end of the pipe as the mess continued to flow and leave him in a pool of yuk. Now I'm not making this up! Went out as they were trying to again figure out what to do with the sewer end of the hose and they said they were going to just stick it in the sewer pipe. I told them that was a no no and just go to Walmart or Camping World and get the proper attachments. As of today the end of the hose is stuck into the sewer pipe just hanging there. Today they dumped as one guy held his foot on the end in the sewer pipe and the other pulled the dump valve....THEN the owner disconnected his fresh water line, put it in the black tank flush and turned it on. Sat there for a bit and water began to spew back out of the convenience center and connections. He calmly (no gloves) disconnected from the black tank flush and reconnected to the city inlet and turned on the water. I'm sitting drinking my coffee waiting for him to return with his LP tank that was a mystery to him as he figured out the operation and how to get it in his truck bed with a cover on it.....

Across the way 2 motorhomes pulled in yesterday obviously traveling together. Right off the bat they locked themselves out of both motorhomes, tried to get out of the van and set off the alarm and didn't know how to turn it off for a LONG time. Finally got it off, started to get out again and set it off again....what?

This morning they must have run out of propane. Had no earthly idea where the tank was or what to do with it. Spent quite a while on the phone as someone instructed them on what to do, which was apparently take it to an LP supplier somewhere, so they decided to pick up stakes to take it in. By now it was obvious they did not own these motorhomes and had either borrowed them or rented them.

As they tried to get prepared to leave it took the longest for them to figure out how to get the slides in, pull things away from the RV etc. They then decided to take off...WHOOPS! with a grinding scraping noise they stopped; a guy walking his dog behind them began waving and pointing....they had not pulled up the levelers! One of them got out, crawled under each corner as they attempted to raise them I guess, finally got up and shrugged his shoulders and started to get in. The guy with the dog began pointing up top - they had left the antenna up. The guy went inside and I guess tried to bring it down but didn't know how (but they had raised it, right?). Finally another guy got on the roof and began pushing and pulling on the antenna. He then took some tools up and.....PULLED THE ANTENNA OFF!

I won't bore you with more observations as this is already too long but as my title suggested this may be the best time ever to just get out and entertain yourself at the RV park! I've turned my dinette chairs facing the door side windows, turned off the TV and just keep watching trying not to fall in the floor laughing. Oh wait, they just returned with the motorhome with I'm assuming a new tank of propane and.....they are locked out of the 2nd motorhome, standing around and on the phone asking for guidance again I suppose. Who needs TLC or Discovery???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote