Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

March I went to Ford dealer for my free engine oil change. Looked over the new loaded Ranger, priced out at 45,000. They had a new 2019 F350, Super cab loaded diesel dropped to 54,000. The cabs on the newer f trucks are so large at a distance I thought it was a crew cab.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #22
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Or, you could do it like many of us... Buy a small trailer find out the tow vehicle isn't sufficient... Buy a 1/2 ton pickup and get to thinking... man I could pull a larger trailer...
Go buy a larger trailer... figure out the 1/2 ton is too small... buy a 3/4 ton pickup...

Man I could pull anything with this truck... Go buy a bigger 5th wheel... Get to thinking wow... this truck is sagging a little when I drop the trailer on it.. I'll put air bags on it...

Dang... truck rides level now but it sure takes a long time to stop with this trailer..

Go buy a dually.. Wow, Wow... Wow... I should of done this sooner, look at all the money I could have saved..
Hey ~~ I did that with a twist. Wifey always found a bigger heavier camper for me to pull. Bigger heavier camper meant bigger truck!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
apachewolf

Towing

It is remarkable how often people are listing their empty tariler weight and the load cap. Why not just look at the GVWR? That says it all. And from that you can calculate the tongue weight which SHOULD be between 10% and 15% of the GVWR. GVWR is the TOTAL weight the trailer can weigh safely loaded.And yes the tongue weight IS part of the gross vehicle weight rating. I think it is often made more complex than it really is. Look at your truck first. What is the numbers on the sticker at the door. It will tell you how much weight (payload) you can put on the truck. Different trucks can PULL different loads, but one thing is impottant for all: The hitch weight. That is part of the payload. for the truck. Next look at the sticker (usually posted on the left front corner of the trailer) and see what the GVWR is. There is your answer no need to calculate a lot of different numbers.
Last but not least tow at a SAFE speed. Personally I keep my speed at about 55 mph, yes I know many that think that is stupid and too slow, but the tires on your trailer are NOT build for speed.
Just my personal thoughts on all these posts about safe towing.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #24
crowbar

Hi SHAKER. Welcome to the forum. I'm not one of the "weight freaks" on here, but I can tell you that a buddy of mine last summer hauled his lightweight fiberglass trailer with his Jeep for a long trip and cooked his transmission in the process. I have an f-150 with the 5.0, which is close in hp and mileage to the eco-boost. It has a GVWR of 8200 lbs. and tows a 26 ft. Springdale with a GVWR of 7525 lbs. with no issues whatsoever. My towing capacity is close to 17000 lbs. When I'm fully loaded, I'm still about 600 lbs. light on my truck. Just be careful and have a fun experience.
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #25
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
Why not just look at the GVWR? That says it all. And from that you can calculate the tongue weight which SHOULD be between 10% and 15% of the GVWR. GVWR is the TOTAL weight the trailer can weigh safely loaded.And yes the tongue weight IS part of the gross vehicle weight rating.
I see this a lot, and maybe for a family you would come closer to that number than we do. I can tell you that with just me and the Wife we load about 750 lbs (that includes LP and battery), and that is according to the scale, and that has been the case for our last 2 TTs. Even so - using GVWR of the trailer will give you a safe number.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley View Post
I see this a lot, and maybe for a family you would come closer to that number than we do. I can tell you that with just me and the Wife we load about 750 lbs (that includes LP and battery), and that is according to the scale, and that has been the case for our last 2 TTs. Even so - using GVWR of the trailer will give you a safe number.

The way you operate, and your knowledge of your numbers, is far different than most and certainly for folks new to towing an RV. That's the reason, as you noted, that the gvwr is used when talking about weights for folks not used to towing....and some that are.

We're a couple as well, well we have puppy too, but we carry generally 1200 lbs. per scale (give or take a little). With the 5vr and time that may grow. Maybe not because that 1200 lbs. or so included a lot of stuff. Of course, bbq central keeps growing too.

To me the gvwr is ideal for folks simply due to that kind of variance. Throw in a 2-4 kids; gotta have bicycles, kayaks, games etc. etc....... You just don't know....and neither do they. So many just say...."we won't carry any water and we travel light". That's a great statement until they actually try that trip with "nothing"...or the barest of essentials. I've never met anyone that started camping and then went to "less" although I know there are those out there.

Your post is enlightening I hope to some, and hopefully illustrates the need for a scale weight and the knowledge that empowers the owner with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #27
04ctd

spousal unit wanted a jeep, and i wanted a truck, she kept walking by the Gladiator, and I kept saying "that's a solution, looking for a problem"

she kept saying I was stupid.

finally, few days later, she goes, "your right, it's not a truck, it's not a car, it's not a DD, it's just a weird vegan man-bun kind of vehicle"

exactly, it does nothing well, and everything half-baked. and gets poor MPG doing all of it!

she ended up with a 4dr jeep wrangler, and to me, it's useless, but she likes it, and it sits up higher so she can see around & feel safer, so wutevuh....
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The way you operate, and your knowledge of your numbers, is far different than most and certainly for folks new to towing an RV. That's the reason, as you noted, that the gvwr is used when talking about weights for folks not used to towing....and some that are.

We're a couple as well, well we have puppy too, but we carry generally 1200 lbs. per scale (give or take a little). With the 5vr and time that may grow. Maybe not because that 1200 lbs. or so included a lot of stuff. Of course, bbq central keeps growing too.

To me the gvwr is ideal for folks simply due to that kind of variance. Throw in a 2-4 kids; gotta have bicycles, kayaks, games etc. etc....... You just don't know....and neither do they. So many just say...."we won't carry any water and we travel light". That's a great statement until they actually try that trip with "nothing"...or the barest of essentials. I've never met anyone that started camping and then went to "less" although I know there are those out there.

Your post is enlightening I hope to some, and hopefully illustrates the need for a scale weight and the knowledge that empowers the owner with.

OK Mr. Dough... you and RW are having a discussion about loaded weight. It is now time each of you disclose you and your spouse's weight so we can determine where the delta in your computations lie!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:18 AM   #29
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I have a 03 Montana 3280 RL. I always tow with my water full I do have a scale tag but it's in the RV storage lot. I have a 15 F250 Lariat trim Truck. I have towed mine about 40,000 miles. I am not a weekend camper nor do I go south in the winter and park it.
Like another guy said the yellow sticker is for DMV. My tags this year were $655. This is the reason for the sticker. If I went with a 350 the sticker would be exactly the same. However I would have to add the 11,500 package to the truck because the 350 doesn't come like that unless it's ordered that way. It's a option. I will make a trip to the RV today and get my weight slip
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing