Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
hylasw

Anyone have Champion 2500 generator and piggyback 2 of them ?

We are thinking about purchasing two champion 2500 generators and hooking them up together with champions kit. I am wondering if anyone on here has done that ? And can you run a 15k AC with it ? One problem is we usually camp at high elevations 7000 ft. in Utah and it gets hot so AC during day would be nice. I also wondering if you put 2 together do you get 5000 starting watts champion claims you lose 3.5% at every 1000 ft so if that is so I should have still 3700 starting watts approx. ?
Has anyone used these Champion 2500's ? and have you hooked them together ? And will they power a 15K AC ? Also how long have you had them and do they run fine ?
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Baldy

I have one Champion 2500 dual fuel generator and I live at 5000 ft in Colorado. I'm only running it on propane to date, and you don't need to re-jet with propane as fuel. It works fine for basic 110v maintenance needs at the storage yard, but it will not run the a/c. After watching my power management amp readings on the last camping trip, I'm not sure two 2500's would either, at least at 5000'. Do your homework carefully.

I've found my 2500 is very difficult to start on propane (I've never run it on gasoline, so I can't comment on that fuel). The support from Champion has been good, and they are sending me a new carb and stepper motor. In retrospect, I should have returned or exchanged my generator at Home Depot before the 30 day period for generators (I spent that time trying to solve my issue with support at Champion). There is a nice video on Champion web site on removing the carb, so we'll see how it goes.

After it starts, the generator runs smooth and pretty quiet.

I would prefer two smaller units over one big generator for my needs. I could not load / unload a 100+ lb generator into my RAM. I think the manufacturers reduction in capacity from altitude is pretty accurate.

My experience. Others may have more to add regarding theirs.

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
2014 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 4X4
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
hylasw

Bought 2 dual fuel this morning

Thanks for your Reply.
I called champion this morning and they told me that if I put two 2500 together that it would run a 15k AC I hope they are right !

They also told me at higher elevations that propane does not have any reduction in power like gas I hope they are right about that as well and told me I would not have to change the carb jet either, that is why I bought two 2500 dual fuel.

So I decided to run mine on propane hope it works and they start fine.

Don't mind me asking why are they sending you a new carb and new motor ? Do you know if the new ones come with that ? I know you said yours is hard to start. The guy on the phone told me that the first time you start it on propane you might have to pull it 25 times to get it going on a new tank but after they generator has propane in it he said you don't have to pull it as much ?

I hope that is right.

Just like you I also want two little ones vs. one bigger generator I am getting old (LOL) and years ago I would not think anything of pulling out a 100+ generator but I cannot do that now that is why I want two smaller ones.
Tim
Old 06-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
DBinSD

I can not verify the 7k + altitude but, I can verify two 2500s WILL run your AC.
If you can, get a “Soft-start” AC upgrade and you will NEVER have an issue regardless of altitude.

2020 Sprinter 3531FWDEN 5th wheel, pulled by 2020 Ram 3500 quad, 4x4 HO Diesel.
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post

Don't mind me asking why are they sending you a new carb and new motor ? Do you know if the new ones come with that ? I know you said yours is hard to start. The guy on the phone told me that the first time you start it on propane you might have to pull it 25 times to get it going on a new tank but after they generator has propane in it he said you don't have to pull it as much ?

Tim
Tim, they sent me a new carburetor and stepper motor because of my issues with hard starting. I don't think I've ever got it to run with fewer than 25 pulls. I even have a tough time starting it after it has run for one hour. When it starts, it runs smooth and provides power as expected.

Guess what? I just got the new parts in the mail TODAY! I found it interesting that there is a detailed video on removing and old carb and installing a new one on their web site. I'll try and get them installed and check back here.

I hope all goes well for you.

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
hylasw

Champion 2500

Thanks Steve,
Let me know after you install the new carb and the steeper motor if it helps. I would like to know just in case if I have the same problem. Thanks !
Old 06-24-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
Baldy

Hylasw, I replaced my carb and stepper motor last night with the one that Champion supplied. I also installed the high altitude jet (Champion supplied that with the new carb - nice). It took me about 1 hour.

The generator does start easier now. My routine is:
1. Hook up the propane bottle and turn it on.
2. Set the control to choke. 3-5 pulls easy pulls on the starter rope
3. Set the control to run on propane. One sharp pull.
4. It either starts or I go back to step 2 again.

It used to take me 5-10 attempts (or more) to start. An attempt is steps 2 and 3 so that's a lot of pulls. Now it is 2-3 attemps. That's an improvement. Good luck with your pair of gensets.

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 06-24-2021, 05:35 AM   #8
hylasw

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update I will have to try that when I get mine. Thanks !

Tags
generator