Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
Rgil2017

2018 Keystone passport elite with soft floor damage

So I take my 2018 passports into the dealer because the floor in the rear of the RV is drooping and it’s soft like it was gotten wet upon inspection they found there was water damage and it sat at the dealer for three months waiting for Keystone to give a approval or denial of warranty repairs. Yesterday I get contacted by the dealer stating that Keystone emailed them and wants to ship my unit to Keystone in Indiana and keystone did not tells a dealer any further information. I asked the dealership if they were capable of making these repairs for that would need to be done and they said yes of course so I’m wondering why Keystone wants to pay thousands of dollars to have my RV transported to them instead of having the dealership do warranty work anybody else experience a situation like this? I am still waiting to speak to the Keystone rep regarding transferring my RV to Indiana
Rgil2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
jlc

This is not uncommon on these units. I do recommend you let it go to the factory for this type of repair.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Rgil2017

So I’m assuming the repairs will be under warranty
Old 06-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Rgil2017

Otherwise why else would they pay thousands for shipping it to and from
Old 06-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
jlc

If Keystone is offering to take it back to the factory for repairs, they would be covering it under warranty. I would advise that you speak directly with Keystone about the plan.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgil2017 View Post
So I take my 2018 passports into the dealer because the floor in the rear of the RV is drooping and it’s soft like it was gotten wet upon inspection they found there was water damage and it sat at the dealer for three months waiting for Keystone to give a approval or denial of warranty repairs. Yesterday I get contacted by the dealer stating that Keystone emailed them and wants to ship my unit to Keystone in Indiana and keystone did not tells a dealer any further information. I asked the dealership if they were capable of making these repairs for that would need to be done and they said yes of course so I’m wondering why Keystone wants to pay thousands of dollars to have my RV transported to them instead of having the dealership do warranty work anybody else experience a situation like this? I am still waiting to speak to the Keystone rep regarding transferring my RV to Indiana
There's nothing "unusual" about this repair process. Currently, Keystone is returning "water damaged trailers" to the factory where they have a repair facility equipped to remove the trailer from the chassis, replace the entire floor with an improved floor with water resistant materials to replace the wood in your current floor" and then to reattach the trailer to the chassis.

It's been an "ongoing problem with "luan/OSB flooring damage" for the past several years. Keystone is "stepping up to the plate" to repair some of the damaged trailers (the ones that meet their criteria)....

I don't know of any dealership that is "equipped to remove the trailer housing from the chassis and replace the entire floor" so the comment from your dealer that they can "repair the soft spots at their service center" is exactly that, a "spot repair"... That's significantly different from the 100% floor replacement that Keystone does when they return a trailer to the factory for "soft floor repair"....

In short, your dealer is not going to do what Keystone wants to do at the factory. The dealer simply doesn't have the equipment or facilities to do that kind of major replacement.

If you're planning to keep the trailer, I'd urge you to jump at the chance to have it done "by Keystone at the factory".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Neen

Soft flooring here too! Not happy

We are experiencing soft flooring. Not water damage but due to the foam and plywood structure. Also having issues with keystone working with us to have repaired. We’ve only had camper three years and maybe used 10 times. This makes no sense and they need to fix it. Yes I’m venting s but it’s frustrating Thankfully this was found during warranty period.
Neen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
jahunter

Flooring concern too on a 2019 Springdale 275BH

We recently had a hot water tank leak and are concerned about some areas with 'soft flooring' too. We don't know if it's been water damaged or not? It's good to hear that this is a known issue.
jahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I don't think the water penetration on Passports was/is due to hot water tanks failing. Believe mostly due to water entering through the wheel wells. Lots has been said in the past about this issue and I don't recall Springdale campers mentioned.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahunter View Post
We recently had a hot water tank leak and are concerned about some areas with 'soft flooring' too. We don't know if it's been water damaged or not? It's good to hear that this is a known issue.
Your water heater tank leak is NOT associated with the type of water damage being discussed in this thread. The issues, as George stated, are caused by water penetration in the wheelwells when towing. It's an entirely different set of circumstances and an entirely different problem/issue.

Totally unrelated to what you're experiencing from a leaking water heater tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
gregrc75

We had our floor replaced in our 2018 Premier last winter. Keystone picked it up at the dealer, replaced the entire floor structure, and returned it to the dealer with a new 3 year structural warranty and 1 year general warranty (as if you bought a new unit). The new floor was made of composite material, they call it hyperdeck floor. It’s very solid after.
The water penetration was also because they did not include the seal where the floor structure meets the walls.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, floor, keystone, passport