Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Billy Duncan

Excessive Heat

2021 Alpine 3790FK… this front kitchen model has the theatre seating in the living area that backs up to the kitchen bar top overlooking the living area… behind the couch, there is a large vent that is roughly 24”long by 12 or so inches high right along the floor that goes up under the front fifth wheel area. This seems it would be a bent of some sort for the Tankless HWH and/or furnace area. Well we have finally hit those high 90 -100 degree days down here in south GA. I have notice an excessive amount of heat come up behind the couch in the evenings when I get off work. I can reach me arm behind the couch and it is very warm air(might as well be outside). It’s not really hot air like the heat is on, just very warm humid outside air. Any ideas? Can this vent be blocked off or is it needed to vent underneath for any reason? Why would it be letting all the warm moist air in when the AC struggles as it is? It definitely has an effect on the front ac unit because the heat rolls right up the back of the couch and the T-stat for the front ac is right on the wall by the bar top behind the couch. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Billy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
Javi

As long as you remember to unblock it before using the heater, a lot of us block the heater vents and in my case the vent in the stair risers.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Billy Duncan

So is it just outside air coming in through the heat vent?
Old 06-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Duncan View Post
So is it just outside air coming in through the heat vent?
I reckon it is from the basement or pass through.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:53 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I reckon it is from the basement or pass through.
I have the same model and it is the basement pass through. I have never really paid any attention to the vent on a hot day but, will check it out today to see how much heat is actually coming in through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210615_25301.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	34077  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I have the same model and it is the basement pass through. I have never really paid any attention to the vent on a hot day but, will check it out today to see how much heat is actually coming in through it.
I think you'll find it to be a good bit.. I know I can stand in front of my stairs and feel the hot air being sucked into the room... so During the hottest part of the year (now) I block it and the floor registers for the heater.. Floor registers are easy, just throw a rug over them.. Pup likes to lay on them anyway..
Old 06-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
Billy Duncan

Yes sir that is the exact vent I am talking about. I took the cover off and covered it from the back side so it wouldn’t be seen… it is just a basement access for electrical and ductwork. So far the heat is not coming through tut anymore for right now… I would rather find something that would be a more permanent fix to this. Is it just an access or does the vent serve a purpose?
Old 06-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Duncan View Post
Yes sir that is the exact vent I am talking about. I took the cover off and covered it from the back side so it wouldn’t be seen… it is just a basement access for electrical and ductwork. So far the heat is not coming through tut anymore for right now… I would rather find something that would be a more permanent fix to this. Is it just an access or does the vent serve a purpose?
It is the air exchange for the heater and keeps the basement from freezing, so YES it is necessary during the cold months.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat