Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
twvette

Gooseneck/Goosebox safety chain and breakaway cable lengths ... experimenting

Switched over to the Reese Goosebox a while back and was a bit unsure what the proper safety chain length should be as well as the trailer breakaway cable for the brakes. Have not really been able to find official answers on this as well as if should still cross the safety chains.

I know its going to be ugly if it ever does come off the ball while traveling. With the way the Reese latches in you have a good audible/visual confirmation so probably a lot less chance of not noticing it being latched vs. a traditional gooseneck system, but still wanted to look into this.

My initial concern was the safety chain kit I purchased seemed longer then my breakaway cable, so therefore if the trailer did disconnect the brakes would never engage unless rips out the safety chain mounts. There seems to be an argument that this is perhaps ok since have an electric brake controller that could use manually to perhaps control it better but that does not seem practical to to me. Seems best to have the brakes apply as quick as possible to try and keep it as straight as possible.

Figuring out the proper lengths is a bit harder then it seems since the safety chains usually connect a bit off to the side of the ball, are at a good angle so harder to measure, and also have some articulation on the ball which can be hard to visualize. Figured best to just do some experimenting to see what it looked like in the reality.

Shortend my breakaway cable with a couple special knots until seemed about right after a few lazy measurements I did. Hooked the chains and breakaway cable up with the gooseneck about sitting on the truck bed to verify everything.

First verified the breakaway cable was shorter than the chains. Make sure the breakaway box/pin/cable is angled properly in relationship to where the latch point is as does take a good amount of force to pull it out, so it could rotate to change the distance:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	34039

Next removed the breakaway cable to see about where the hitch would be in the bed with the chains starting to pull. Might be an argument that want it to break all the way through the tailgate and drop down to limit chance of it coming back into the cab with passengers, but this does not really seem practical to me. Figure best to take chances trying to control it resting in the bed and maybe the smashed tailgate helping a bit. Seems would be ideal to not have it go too far back in the bed for best chances of keeping the backend of truck controllable. However, if chain/breakaway cable lengths get too short becomes even harder to see if breakaway would engage first especially with some articulation. This seemed to be a good compromise to me:

Name:	IMG_5170.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	34040

If look closely at the above pic can see I have the chains crossed. I know it might seem strange to cross them as it will land vertically on the bed rather than a bumper pull trailer would land on the crossed chains, but I think it will still help. A little hard to tell from the pic as I actually had to force the chains outside the gooseneck to see this worse case/furthest back position. It will likely fall directly on top of the chains (it did in my test) which shortens their length a good amount. Realized the side benefit here is that the chains are then really bound up around the Goosebox and biting hard into the bed just like say snow chains would. The shorter length and the bite might help a lot in controlling the trailer to a stop. Even if it falls inside the chains the cross does still help it wrap around the gooseneck to hopefully help with control. Perhaps a stretch, but realized the Goosebox air bag could also be beneficial to help it bite into the bed/absorb some of the violence so that it stays in the same place better.

Final check was that did not get the breakaway cable too short with a
jackknive test. Make sure to test with the cable connected to the side that is furthest offset from the direction you are angled! This was further confirmation that with current mount point don't want to go much if any shorter as could also have some more length needed especially with some articulation, which thus means I also don't want my chains much shorter either:

Name:	IMG_5172.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	34041

Also found mention to not connect the breakaway cable to the same point as the safety chains. I have nothing else to connect it to without getting really creative. Also, I think this only makes sense if the breakaway cable is longer then the safety chains.

Hopefully this helps someone as it was more involved then seemed ...

Curious what other peoples thoughts are in relation to chain/cable lengths for goosenecks specifically as does not seem to be official guidelines for this ...
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:28 AM   #2
Northofu1

Hi Todd,
I see where you're coming from but I think you might be overthinking it a little.
Even if the ball or hitch failed some way with your shortened break away cable it would initiate full lock up. That might worsen the event. If the chains are capable of keeping the hitch at least on the bed, I would think that controlled braking would better suit the event. As long as the umbilical cord does not disconnect you still have full function of the brakes with truck. JMO
Good luck and be safe.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:47 AM   #3
Dege

Well thought out and explained. I have the same hitch and posed a question about this very issue in another post. My chains are about the right length to keep it from coming completely out of the bed without crossing them. As for the brake lanyard I used another puck chain connector and since it was forward of the chains a bit, that length will cause the brakes to pop before I run completely out of chain.

Thanks to flybouy and sourdough here on the forum I got a quick education on how to set my chains up Your post drives home the fact every hookup is different even with the same hitch so people should spend some time figuring out the best solution for for their own case.
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Kind odd that in the first picture the truck tailgate looks to be almost touching the front of your camper while the receiver isn't all the way back over the ball. Is this an optical illusion? My tailgate down is about 18-24" from my camper when hooked up to my Andersen Ultimate ball.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Hi Todd,
I see where you're coming from but I think you might be overthinking it a little.
Even if the ball or hitch failed some way with your shortened break away cable it would initiate full lock up. That might worsen the event. If the chains are capable of keeping the hitch at least on the bed, I would think that controlled braking would better suit the event. As long as the umbilical cord does not disconnect you still have full function of the brakes with truck. JMO
Good luck and be safe.
This is very bad advice and here's why. Let's say the worst happens and the trailer breaks away. In that moment of shear harror and total panic while the trailer is flailing around beating up your truck bed and causing uour truck to sway, change lanes, maybe head for the cliff or on comming traffic that you're going to have the quick reaction to use the manual function of the break controller? Remember, if the umbiljcal is still connected the truck will slow down faster (at least until the trailer catches up and crashes into the bavk of the truck somewhere) and the brake controller will send less power to the trailer brakes.

I think most folks will panic and hit the brakes. Truck slows down, now 10,000 lbs of uncontrolled trailer are heading towards and perhaps through the truck cab. For a simple demostration borrow a childs wagon. Pull it with the handle and when you stop the inertia of the wagon is absorbed thru the handle to your hand. Jow use a short peive of tope to pull the wagon. When you stop the wagon will continue it's unimpeaded forward motion untill it hits you and stops.

The OP has done exactly what he needed to do.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Roper46

May I ask in this thread about the break away cable length on a TT ? Should the cable be so short that if the TT comes off the ball the pin is pulled and the TT breaks are activated ?
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope
r46;454067
May I ask in this thread about the break away cable length on a TT ? Should the cable be so short that if the TT comes off the ball the pin is pulled and the TT breaks are activated ?
Check post #6 in this thread and view the video AFTER reading my comments... I think it'll fully explain your question. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ight=breakaway

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Roper46

Thanks John.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
Northofu1

Thank you John and Marshall
I stand corrected.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Kind odd that in the first picture the truck tailgate looks to be almost touching the front of your camper while the receiver isn't all the way back over the ball. Is this an optical illusion? My tailgate down is about 18-24" from my camper when hooked up to my Andersen Ultimate ball.
It's not connected to the truck, just showing an example of chain lengths.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
Big 417

I've often wondered why goose's need chains, and piners don't. Are pin boxes that less prone to failure then a ball type hitch? There's gotta be some cases where a latch has failed, or even just not fully engaged. You can't tell me everyone does a tug test lol
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
I've often wondered why goose's need chains, and piners don't. Are pin boxes that less prone to failure then a ball type hitch? There's gotta be some cases where a latch has failed, or even just not fully engaged. You can't tell me everyone does a tug test lol
3000 lbs isn’t going to bounce up and off the a ball from the middle of the truck even if it’s not latched . It’s a gray area Another expensive for the consumer. I don’t use them.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
twvette

wiredgeorge - that is an illusion from the picture angle. I have a fair amount of room as also have an offset ball to help with that on this setup (similar to Andersen setup ... just not as much).
Old 06-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #14
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
I agree with most that it would be really hard to get the trailer off the ball but with air bags on the truck and an air bag hitch on the roads we have with some good rollers can feel the trailer pick up on the back a bit when comes back up from a good compression so it certainly might come off. The main reason required on goosenecks is it wont likely come off until far down the road whereas with 5th wheel/piners its likely going to slide off in the first few feet in your driveway. The latches are also a little strange/manual latch on standard goosenecks, so perhaps easier to not have them latched latched properly vs. a piner, but the Goosebox is a different style latch more similar to a piner in that is noticeably "clicks" in automatically when latched.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #15
djac13

How do you like your reese gooseneck? I’m looking to buy one
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #16
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by djac13 View Post
How do you like your reese gooseneck? I’m looking to buy one
Love it. Its worth the slight extra hassle even if don't have a bed camera to help hitching it up and having to add/adjust the air pressure in the air bag as they do leak a little. With bags on the TV too there is a little bounce but that can be adjusted with pressure, but lets you know its working for sure. Can watch it move small amounts in rearview mirror as then you know its really soaking up the small stuff. No lurching like other hitch types have that move mainly laterally.

Tags
cable