Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Skippy38

Amplified Antenna

Ok so we are stationary for a while and the TV reception is so-so. Is there another antenna that is a little stronger? I have a Weingard Sensar IV now and it works pretty good. I had a King Jack also but it did not work as well as the Sensar. Looking for just a LITTLE bit more reception without going to satellite or cable.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If you have the Sensar IV with the 3 rows of elements in front of the "bat wing" then I think you have the best available. Take the amplifier and coax connectors off the wall and check all connections. If any are loose tightening them may help. If you find any corrosion on any of the RF connectors replace them.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The addition of the Winegard Wingman (the 3 front bars mounted under the Sensar antenna head) makes the antenna system "EXTREMELY DIRECTIONAL"...

Our Cougar came with the Sensor antenna, we needed a "bit more reception sensitivity" so I added the Wingman shortly after it came out. Before that, we could "point the antenna in the general direction and get a signal. After installing the Wingman, if we were off more than a few degrees, we lost all ability to receive digital TV signals... Just a "single bump" of the antenna directional knob is enough to make a difference between a pixilated screen and an acceptable reception....

So, you've got, about the best antenna for long range reception, but you've got to "aim it precisely" to get a signal.... Sort of like hunting with a rifle vs a shotgun... With one you've got to aim and be "dead on" and the other, just point it toward the target and pull the trigger. With your Sensar IV, you're hunting with a rifle, no scope and barely visible open sights, so "pay particular attention to how you aim the antenna.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
travelin texans

Winegard has an app to find the direction of the nearest translator to you from your zip code, then aim your antenna in that direction while watching the signal meter on your tv, then rescan.
Using this method with the Sensar antenna we could nearly always get 50-60 channels, 10-15 of those were foreign language or religious channels, 20 were sports (that we don't watch), but we managed to find something to watch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
ChuckS

or spend a $100 bucks for this to help aim....

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...ensarpro-black

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Winegard has an app to find the direction of the nearest translator to you from your zip code, then aim your antenna in that direction while watching the signal meter on your tv, then rescan.
Somebody on another thread tipped me off to the existence of a free iPhone app called "DTV Antennas" (they also had one for the Android, but I didn't make a note of the name). I wish I had had it when I had the "good" old-fashioned antenna. On my newish Cougar I have only the "omni," which can't be aimed and doesn't have anywhere near the pull-in power.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Depending on how long you are stationary you might want to consider a long pole and antenna mounted along side your camper. The added height can really help plus it opens the option for many types of antennas.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
LHaven

An interesting option. When you push the button to power the roof antenna, does the power typically also show up at the outdoor "cable" location? That would sure make things easier.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:53 AM   #9
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Pricey, but it works great! No more guessing on where to aim the antenna once we installed this.

Turn it on, it scans for the strongest channel, then you look at the strength meter to rotate the antenna to the highest number. Once done adjusting the antenna, you just do a channel scan on your TV and your done...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

I can also attest to how great it works. On our unit they placed the antenna booster behind where the TV sets in the cabinet back in the bunk house. The antenna crank/directional knob is over the sofa. I replafed the antenna booster woth one of these because you can set it to audibly beeb when it the signal is the strongest. Sure saved a lot of time, steps and frustration for me.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Somebody on another thread tipped me off to the existence of a free iPhone app called "DTV Antennas" (they also had one for the Android, but I didn't make a note of the name). I wish I had had it when I had the "good" old-fashioned antenna. On my newish Cougar I have only the "omni," which can't be aimed and doesn't have anywhere near the pull-in power.
The APP is called DTV ANTENNAS for android in the play store. I have a King Jack directional and it works fine; about the same as the original Sensor we had when we bought the camper. The lower part that turned the antenna was all broken and you had to turn the thing with vice grips. The other disadvantage was having to remember to lower the Sensor so I went with the king jack. I use the DTV ANTENNAS app to get the direction of the majority of transmitters and point the King Jack in that direction and we are good.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #12
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Depending on how long you are stationary you might want to consider a long pole and antenna mounted along side your camper. The added height can really help plus it opens the option for many types of antennas.
I was thinking about this. Maybe mounting the pole to the ground and tying it into the rear ladder and mounting a residential antenna on it...
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I was thinking about this. Maybe mounting the pole to the ground and tying it into the rear ladder and mounting a residential antenna on it...
Yes, I've seen it done several times.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
We did this all the time in the wireless internet business. Our mast of choice was top rail (for chain link fence) -- about $10/length, and swaged at one end so you can join smaller pieces as necessary. Nothing you want to go on the road with, but for "home base" use it was wonderful. If you feel like you need to guy it, Solid Signal sells really versatile mast guy rings for $7.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
Roy Finchville

Replacement parts for winegard are available on Amazon or CampingWorld. Relatively cheap and easy to install. Do add Winegard Wingman. It makes a difference.
I do not recommend changing going from a Winegard to a King. Air conditioner blocks signal to King which mount close to roof whereas Winegard cranks above AC.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
apachewolf

Easy TV

We went another way. I purchased the Winegard Pathway X1 antenna bundled with a Dish VIP211Z receiver. Cost, about $500.00. But it is so easy to setup and you can activate or de-activate the account as you please. To set it up all you have to do is plug it in and turn on the receiver and the TV and it finds the satellite by itself. I have had mine for 6-7 years and it has worked perfectly. No more running around with a compass and a level to find the right position for the sat. If you are far from home all it takes is a call to Dish give them the zip code and they will remotely set it to the viewing in that area. I can usually get my home station All over Arizona. There are some places we go that have 1-3 OTA stations where I get them all, 200 channels that we normally get at home. When I return home after a month or 2 I just login and turn the VIP 211Z off until next time on the road. I only pay for what I use.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna