Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
NateReader

Chevy Tahoe Towing Keystone Bullet?

2021 Chevy Tahoe with 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 with Max Trailering Package 4WD. Towing capacity 8300 pounds

Trailer: Keystone Bullet 1800RB. Dry Weight 3314. PAyload Capacity 1086, length 21.33

2 Adult Humans in Tahoe: 310 pounds
1 dog: 65 pounds

Is this a doable combination? My spouse is uncomfortable with driving a truck and it seems that the Tahoe with the Max Trailering Package would be more than enough to trailer the small Keystone Bullet

I seems we have a lot of space even for payload in the Tahoe, etc.

Also suggestions for hitch, etc?

We are just joining the RV world and want to start small.So can everyone say … WELCOME NEWBIE!!!!
NateReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
travelin texans

The yellow/white tag on the driver's door will list the payload for YOUR Tahoe along with the other pertinent weights. From that payload number subtract the weight of people/pets, the weight of the required WDH (+/- 100lbs), any options such as running boards, etc. that the Tahoe dealer added, 10-15% of the posted GVWR of the specific rv as tongue weight (for the above mentioned rv is 440+ lbs). So far your at 900+ lbs subtracted from the posted payload (I'd guess at 1500+/- lbs) for this particular rv. Also check the weight limit on the Tahoe's receiver hitch, if it's only 500 lbs your already there.
The max tow weight of your Tahoe, or any other vehicle, is an strictly an advertising tool that gets folks like you in trouble buying more trailer than they have vehicle for.
Same as the dry weight of RVs, you nor any rv owner will ever tow a rv anywhere near the posted dry weight once it arrived at the dealership where batteries, propane & any other dealer requirements were added.
DO NOT use numbers from brochures or literature & especially ANY number that either the Tahoe or rv dealer may be quoting, typically they get their info from literature & have no real rv towing experience, they are there to sell you all they can.
If it's helpful post pictures of the tags on the Tahoe door, the veteran weight police here will help you cipher those numbers to keep you & yours safe.
You are to commended for asking before buying as SO many on here do. It's recommended to buy the rv 1st then find an appropriate tow vehicle, but just as I've done along several on here they've been duped by the salespeople I to thinking they have a tow beast.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

WELCOME NEWBIE! How's that?

First thing you need to do is look at the yellow/white/black sticker inside the driver door and see what the payload/carrying capacity is of the Tahoe. You need to KNOW that; the towing capacity of the vehicle is irrelevant and really has no bearing on towing an RV.

Once you have that payload number from the Tahoe deduct the weights of occupants and puppy plus 575 lbs. for the tongue weight of the trailer (4400gvw x 13%). Those numbers = 950lbs. The Tahoe payload will be more than that. But, do not be deceived thinking you won't have anything in that Tahoe - you will so add 100 = 1050. You should still be OK.

The nemesis of the Tahoe (or any SUV) is the short wheelbase which then gives a longer trailer too much control of it. In your case, at 21.33', you should not have much issue with that IF you get a good weight distribution hitch with 4 point sway control (I've had great luck with the Equalizer).

So, get that payload number. You might also look at your tires and see what the max psi is on them. I'm sure they are Pmetric tires but hopefully you can air them up to minimize any sway. A truck would be a better towing option as that is what they are made for while an SUV not so much. And your wife might find that she LIKES driving a truck once she tries it. 40 years ago I didn't think DW would EVER get behind the wheel of a pickup truck. Now she jumps in the 1 ton so I have to tell her to drive her own SUV and leave my "stuff" alone.

BTW, welcome to the towing/RV world - it's a blast.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
NateReader

[A truck would be a better towing option as that is what they are made for while an SUV not so much. And your wife might find that she LIKES driving a truck once she tries it. 40 years ago I didn't think DW would EVER get behind the wheel of a pickup truck. Now she jumps in the 1 ton so I have to tell her to drive her own SUV and leave my "stuff" alone.

BTW, welcome to the towing/RV world - it's a blast.[/QUOTE]

That is funny!!!! For a truck, do you think the F150 would be enough? It seems like a 250 is overkill. I would like to start her small IF she will even go look at a truck with me!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
NateReader

Thank you so much TRAVLIN TEXANS! Yes, we do not want to make a mistake on the purchasing so we want to pair them properly. That includes all the dealer adds, such as the running boards, etc. and all the other items such as hitch, etc. Basically I want to run every single number before I put a dollar down on the purchase.

Do you think in general that something like an F150 would be better in comparison to a Tahoe IF I can get the wife to decide a truck is OK to drive? Even though the diff is only about 2 feet between the Tahoe and F150, she sees that as a world of difference.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your looking at trucks, don’t bother getting “adequate”, because chances are your going to love the RV lifestyle and before you know it you’ll want a bigger trailer…BTDT. I’m not saying that you should get a 1 ton DRW, but if you buy a bit bigger truck, then you already have it when you get a bigger trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
NateReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your looking at trucks, don’t bother getting “adequate”, because chances are your going to love the RV lifestyle and before you know it you’ll want a bigger trailer…BTDT. I’m not saying that you should get a 1 ton DRW, but if you buy a bit bigger truck, then you already have it when you get a bigger trailer.

Good point. We started off thinking about the F250. Then my wife started getting nervous about the size of the truck. I was thinking the F250 would afford anything we would need. That’s why we are looking at the Bullet 1800RB. Starting off simple to get the toes wet.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Campermike

I'd say buy a truck and maybe your wife will love it... but I can tell you my wife doesn't like driving mine... and it's only a 1500. I don't know what's wrong with her Anyway, Nate you've got good advice, so I don't have much other than if you're compromising on a smaller trailer... you very well may upgrade it in the future. On the other hand, you could use it to try out camping and figure out what's important. Then you'll have a better idea of how large of a trailer you really want... and what truck you'll eventually need. If you already own the Tahoe, I'd use it with the bullet you mentioned then upgrade truck and trailer together when you're ready.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateReader View Post
Thank you so much TRAVLIN TEXANS! Yes, we do not want to make a mistake on the purchasing so we want to pair them properly. That includes all the dealer adds, such as the running boards, etc. and all the other items such as hitch, etc. Basically I want to run every single number before I put a dollar down on the purchase.

Do you think in general that something like an F150 would be better in comparison to a Tahoe IF I can get the wife to decide a truck is OK to drive? Even though the diff is only about 2 feet between the Tahoe and F150, she sees that as a world of difference.
As trucks go the 250/2500 or 350/3500 is not bigger in size than the 150/1500, they may be a bit taller in the 4x4 models & depending on the model might ride a bit stiffer, but as far as driving not much difference than the Tahoe or 150/1500.
Also the 150/1500 will be very little more, if any, payload than your Tahoe & the 250/2500 will be very little more payload than either of those.
Don't fall into the same trap that a lot of folks do thinking "I've got a 3/4 truck I can tow anything out there" WRONG!
The 250/2500 may be a tiny bit overkill for the mentioned rv, but depending on the next rv it may not be near enough.
So as not to disappoint John, no IMHO the F150 isn't better for anything!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #10
NateReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As trucks go the 250/2500 or 350/3500 is not bigger in size than the 150/1500, they may be a bit taller in the 4x4 models & depending on the model might ride a bit stiffer, but as far as driving not much difference than the Tahoe or 150/1500.
Also the 150/1500 will be very little more, if any, payload than your Tahoe & the 250/2500 will be very little more payload than either of those.
Don't fall into the same trap that a lot of folks do thinking "I've got a 3/4 truck I can tow anything out there" WRONG!
The 250/2500 may be a tiny bit overkill for the mentioned rv, but depending on the next rv it may not be near enough.
So as not to disappoint John, no IMHO the F150 isn't better for anything!
Thanks Travlin!!!

Y’all have given me good food for thought on our first step into RVin!
Old 06-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
notanlines

I would start by taking the DW out to your friendly truck dealer and have her actually DRIVE a 3/4 ton pickup. A nice one, bells and whistles galore. Do NOT let the sales person give the keys to you, and certainly not to 'take you for a ride.' Have her drive and show her that cabs are the same size as the Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition or whatever model Dodge has to offer.
You are going to LOVE RV'ing, I guarantee it!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
NateReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Good point chuckster. Maybe Ineed to get the wife out to the truck dealership to test one out. Sway her opinion!
Old 06-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #13
NateReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I would start by taking the DW out to your friendly truck dealer and have her actually DRIVE a 3/4 ton pickup. A nice one, bells and whistles galore. Do NOT let the sales person give the keys to you, and certainly not to 'take you for a ride.' Have her drive and show her that cabs are the same size as the Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition or whatever model Dodge has to offer.
You are going to LOVE RV'ing, I guarantee it!
Best idea ever!!! Thanks!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Nate this is how things work out for many. After a season or so, seeing other RVs and learning what you guys really want. The next RV is larger. Think ahead and look at a tow vehicle not near the max. with that trailer. Some have the money to buy a new truck and RV ever year and that is fine. But, making one tow vehicle purchase that is not limited at a small RV will save you a ton of cash. Trust me, if she really enjoys RVing, a bigger unit is in your future.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
NateReader

Truck or RV first?

ME and the wife talked last night and after telling her a lot of the things you all gave me here, she is up for looking at a SuperDuty truck! It really helped having alot of the logical reasons I got from each of you! So this weekend we are going to to look at the trailers and also trucks.

Should we buy the truck first or the trailer? We were thinking truck since right now the RVs are in short supply with very little in the way of deals. She can then get used to the truck since it will be her daily driver replacing our FJ Cruiser.

Thoughts y’all?

Hahaha … I also see some of you are retired LEO! I did my time in uniform also. I work in a hospital now. I thought it would be safer… until the pandemic hit! RTFLMAO.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #16
Guitarman

I have a 2021 Bullet 1800RB. Towing it with a 2016 Ford Explorer with towing package(5,000 lbs) went to the Catskills and had no problem towing the Bullet up a 4 mile steep hill with a 5% grade. You should not have any problems at all. Good Luck !
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #17
Guitarman

I don't understand the question about the hitch. However, If I may ask you, how is your dinette attached to the wall. Mine came off the wall when we went to the Catskills. Taking it back for repair.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

I have gotten the truck 1st and matched up the RV to that. The yellow/white payload sticker is about the most important thing and will be different on almost every truck. Look at a base model payload vs the high trim models.
In my case I do have a small RV vs the truck payload. That was mainly the DW decision. I was ready to step up to a 5th wheel, she was not.
But that extra payload allows me to pull the rv and pack the truck with a canvas tent , wood stove, generator, spare fuel and an elk or 2.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
NateReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I have gotten the truck 1st and matched up the RV to that. The yellow/white payload sticker is about the most important thing and will be different on almost every truck. Look at a base model payload vs the high trim models.
In my case I do have a small RV vs the truck payload. That was mainly the DW decision. I was ready to step up to a 5th wheel, she was not.
But that extra payload allows me to pull the rv and pack the truck with a canvas tent , wood stove, generator, spare fuel and an elk or 2.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I think we will stick with that which allows the wife to do a pick of the litter with the truck and then run all the numbers before heading off for the RV. Appreciate the helps!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Since the truck will limit what trailer you can safely tow, decide on the trailer first. If you get the truck firdt, then find the absolutely perfect trailer that you just gotta have and don't have enough truck you'll never be happy. Find that "perfect" camper first. Then find the "perfect " ttuck with excess capacity to carry it. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, keystone, tow, towing