Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
kfp673

BAL 7.1 Head Rotate

Hello All,

I am looking to find anyone with the BAL auto level system that has rotated the head of the tongue jack to allow the tailgate to open. Ironically, I have done it and can't figure out how to do it again. My 2018 has a tongue jack screeching and binding very badly so we ordered a new one. I figured I'd spin the head again prior to mounting. Removed plastic shroud, removed the 2 large screws on either side right under where the motor head meets the shaft and cannot get it to lift off. Feels like there is another set screw somewhere but I cannot find it. Drives me nuts because I remember 3 years ago thinking how easy it was lifting it off, placing it down after a quarter turn and being done. Any thoughts? Thanks!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
kfp673

I figured it out. Reached out to BAL and they told me it should come right off after removing the 2 bolts on the side of the shaft. It would not so I tapped from the bottom with a hammer and broke it loose. it was just super tight on the shaft.

Great modification FYI on any electric tongue jack if your tailgate will not open. I have done this on 3 different models and once you find the screws on the side and fight with it a bit the head lifts off. Spin it to the side and make sure it catches and reattach the head. Now the tailgate opens even when connected to the trailer.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote