Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Stevensmith2859

Slideout Toppers

Ok, so besides the obvious to protect the tops from leaves, etc getting on them and helping to provide an extra level of rain protection, is there any truth that they help keep your coach cooler inside because they help to "shade" the actual slideouts from direct sun?
Stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

In my opinmion they do. I've had one trailer with no slide out cover and later had it installed. I could feel the diffrence. This unit weordered the trailer and had them installed before delivery. I wouldn't own a trailer with a slideout without them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm of a mixed mind on the toppers. I had never had them and never really wanted them but after staying under some kind of trees that dropped "stuff" and acorns all winter one year I began entertaining having them since cleaning them was a pain. Had them put on this trailer to see what I thought.

While I do think they may keep your slide tops a little cooler and leaves off the tops of them, they are noisy and worrisome IMO plus you have to be careful how you set up or you will get runoff where you don't want it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #4
rhagfo

They defiantly keep slide outs cooler, before covers you could feel the heat on the ceiling inside the slide. After covers slide ceilings are hardly above room temperature.
They also keep all the crud off the slide roof.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:39 AM   #5
gearhead

I'm like Danny...sorta mixed opinion. I never had them before either.
Issues...water will collect on them and cause them to sag. If I am pulling the slides in after a rain I have to stop and start the slides. If not the topper cannot keep up with the slide and will fold under the roller. Also, obviously in cold weather the water will become ice. I've had ice 1/2" thick on the toppers. It's kinda rough on old hands breaking that ice up before pulling the slides in.
I have seen a redneck work around that used kids balls , 8-10" diameter, in a fabric sack with a drawstring pushed under the topper to make a tent of sorts. Pull the sack out with a hook on the end of a wooden stick.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
travelin texans

Toppers IMO improve the looks, keep debris off the slides & keep the slides a bit cooler, but the draw back is if parking in windy areas the popping & flopping will drive you nuts. Also if adding balls, swim noodles or whatever under them to help with the flapping or sagging holding water will eventually stretch the fabric making the situation worse.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
kfp673

I have had them on this trailer and our previous trailer and love them. Every time I see a neighbor get out a ladder to clean all the sticks and leaves off while packing up I am thankful I had them added when we bought the trailer. Well worth it IMO
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t have them, but I have installed more than I care to remember. I will say, carefree is better than Dometic IMHO.

The hexagon bars that hold the brackets on the Dometic seem to bend over time and allow the fabric to drag on the slide.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout