Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Mroe67

Diesel station finder app

Been trying to find the best app to use to find diesel fuel stations. So far the best I can find and use is GasBuddy. You can set it to find specificity gas or diesel and plus it rates them by the best price. I like the app and wanted to let people know about it, yet I wonder if there is a better one. If you use a fuel station finder app what do you use?
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
Been trying to find the best app to use to find diesel fuel stations. So far the best I can find and use is GasBuddy. You can set it to find specificity gas or diesel and plus it rates them by the best price. I like the app and wanted to let people know about it, yet I wonder if there is a better one. If you use a fuel station finder app what do you use?
I was using the truckmap app I used it before I got my garmin rv 785.
It will route you on roads that avoid low bridges and narrow areas...it shows truck stops and diesel stations as well
Old 05-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
LHaven

Most of the time, I use the Pilot app, because as a Good Sam member I can get 5¢/gal off from them, and most of them have dedicated RV lanes (we have a gasser). When there aren't any Pilot /Flying J stations within reach, I go back to GasBuddy.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
K_N_L

Ive found the Trucker Path app to be helpful when traveling long distances and trying to plan ahead for stops. Not really the best for directly comparing fuel prices but shows where they are along with prices and whats available for food.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
travelin texans

Finding convenient diesel fueling spots while towing is much easier than finding gas stops while towing. With the diesel towing you can usually find a truck stop about everywhere. Pull into the lane, fuel up & pull forward out of the way, doesn't get much easier. Now if you're shopping to find a spot trying to save a couple cents per gallon then that's a different story.
Notice you're in Scottsdale, on I-10 between Phoenix & Tucson there's probably 10 places to fuel up with diesel while towing without any problems getting into or out of.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Like Danny said, I've never had any problems finding diesel. Any interstate interchange with a "big sign in the air" will have diesel. It usually costs 10-15 cents more than the "mom and pop gas station around the corner"... That said, I know I can get my rig into the diesel pumps at a truck stop, not so sure I can even turn around to get back to the truck stop if I can't maneuver around that "M&P gas station"....

So, I've never really found a need for a "phone app to find diesel" and it's worth the extra $3 (10 cents/gal for 30 gallons) to get fueled and back on the road without worrying whether I'll wind up in a shopping center parking lot trying to save a dime at the WalMart Murphy pumps....

Towing a trailer is not the best time to try to be thrifty when the conditions around the "savings" are unknown topography.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:29 AM   #7
RickV

About a year ago a friend turned me on to TSD Logistics, it is a fuel card program that gives you discounts at some truck stops. Their app shows prices at truck stops in about a 100 mile radius and will link to google maps for directions. If you plan it right you can save as much as $0.30-40 a gallon plus if you need DEF it is always fresher at Truck Stops and if you need some cash you can get a fee free $200. It is linked to your bank account for payment.

Here is one of my transactions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210531_14189.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	33879  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:20 AM   #8
Javi

Traveling thru Texas, finding diesel isn't a problem.... finding a local convenience store that you can pull a 60 foot long, 13' 6" high rig through without blocking traffic or hanging out into traffic is another thing.

GasBuddy and trucker apps are great and I do use them when planning a trip route but my most useful tool is Google Earth... with it I can look at the station to see if I'm going to fit..

However, the best thing I've done to solve the problem is to increase my fuel capacity beyond a day's travel. Much easier to plan routes when fueling while connected is not really necessary.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Traveling thru Texas, finding diesel isn't a problem.... finding a local convenience store that you can pull a 60 foot long, 13' 6" high rig through without blocking traffic or hanging out into traffic is another thing.

GasBuddy and trucker apps are great and I do use them when planning a trip route but my most useful tool is Google Earth... with it I can look at the station to see if I'm going to fit..

However, the best thing I've done to solve the problem is to increase my fuel capacity beyond a day's travel. Much easier to plan routes when fueling while connected is not really necessary.
I couldn't agree more. Travel as far as you can stand in a day (YMMV), then when the trailer is disconnected and sitting on the landing pad, drive to your choice of fuel stops in the area and fill 'er up again for the next day. The onboard capacity I have now, since adding my 60 gallon RDS tank is approx. 95 gallons.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:45 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

To Javi's point good preperation is your best freind. I don't have a problem with outdriving my fuel capacity. With age and retirenment I no longer find the need to "drive thru" and "push it to get to a destination". Did that for more years than I care to think about. Now the journey is as much about the drive as it is the destination.
YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:15 AM   #11
captcolour

+1 on the Pilot/Flying J app. With Good Sam, save $0.08/gal on diesel and most Pilot/Flying J's take regular credit cards in the truck lanes. Other truck stops don't and you have to prepay. May have to look into the TSD option as that would eliminate that problem.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
RickV

Another option which I use when not connected to the 5ver is a Sam's Club Visa which gives 5% cash back on fuel purchases which works out to $.15 a gallon + at today's prices.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-31-2021, 06:49 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To Javi's point good preperation is your best freind. I don't have a problem with outdriving my fuel capacity. With age and retirenment I no longer find the need to "drive thru" and "push it to get to a destination". Did that for more years than I care to think about. Now the journey is as much about the drive as it is the destination.
YMMV
I agree!
My last truck held 36 gallons which = 250-300 miles = 6-7+ hours of driving which was about all we intended to do in a day, then unhitch, set-up & head out to get fuel & dinner.
A veteran fulltimer we met shortly after hitting the road told us to travel 2x2x2, drive 200 hundred miles, stop by 2pm & stay 2 days, which wasn't bad advice.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-31-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Excellent advice on the 2X2X2. We rarely do one night stays. And when when planning our returns for a specific reason like a doctor appointment we try to return 2 days before. Reduces the "pressure" of feeling like you "have to beat feet" to get back and leaves an extra day for the emptying/repleneshing clean cloths and supplies. But again, we have the luxery of time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
MrEnto

+TSD logistics

I too use the TSD logistics Commercial Fuel card. Look into it
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #16
razahoryin

I’m finding that with a long range tank installed the options are endless.. well within a 1000 miles or so.. love that I don’t have to worry about daily fuel stops
I do a little planning and save enough for a few beers

Subscribe to the 2x2x2 life as well

Gas buddy and Costco when avail...(without trailer) and a Costco credit card for fuel rebates
I avoid truck stops and their Hwy markups when possible..gas buddy works out and it’s easy to prioritize fuel stops based on cost and direction of travel/stops
razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
Bob R

Quote:

I like using RV Trip wizard to plan a route, I also use google earth to look at the fueling stops to figure out the flow in and out and whether or not I can get in and out without a huge hassle.

bob
Old 06-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
RickV

I am now in Twin Falls, ID every station around here diesel is $3.55 used my TSD card yesterday price worked out to $3,14 can't beat it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210606-050944_Fuel Card.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	33955  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:

When traveling through Texas if/when you see a Bucee's, picture of a beaver with a ball cap on, stop in, there's plenty of room to fuel up any combination of rv at possibly a 100 pumps, cleanest restrooms of any place you'll ever stop, food options, gifts & outdoor goodies, they're almost a destination in themselves.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #20
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
When traveling through Texas if/when you see a Bucee's, picture of a beaver with a ball cap on, stop in, there's plenty of room to fuel up any combination of rv at possibly a 100 pumps, cleanest restrooms of any place you'll ever stop, food options, gifts & outdoor goodies, they're almost a destination in themselves.

We love Bucee’s! Those stations have anything you could need . I just returned from a week in NC and Tenn. and discovered a new station called QT. At least it was new to me and had the same price for diesel as the Circle K across the street and it had DEF at the pump, had air and water as well and the DW and granddaughter said the lace was spotless inside.....