Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
FitzF150HybridXLTFx4

towing a 28'

Just purchased a 2021 F150 XLT FX4 Off road with the 3.5 powerboost hybrid with the trailer tow package, 302a High, pwr roof, and 7.2kw generator and has the 7350# GVWR package and the 3.73 gear option. WDH.

Just found a 2014 28' Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite travel trailer 281BHS - The body is 28' - total length bow to stern is 32'

This trailer has a GVWR of 7590 lbs. We keep this down to realistically to 6500 lbs to 7k max with our stuff. Just 3 passengers with no cargo.. packing all in the trailer. It has a nice axle stance and its the correct size for this truck.

We are camping for the summer, up until October probably - Staying in 3 campgrounds in the same state. I am thinking that I still may add some air bags.. thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door jam sticker f150 2020.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	33838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire and loading F150 2020.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	33841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9527.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	33842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9620.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	33843  
FitzF150HybridXLTFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
jfk69

Let’s start with the first major question. What does the yellow sticker on the driver side door post state as maximum payload? That generator, moonroof, etc are all sucking away your available payload, and ultra lite or not, that is not a small/light trailer.
jfk69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
FitzF150HybridXLTFx4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Let’s start with the first major question. What does the yellow sticker on the driver side door post state as maximum payload? That generator, moonroof, etc are all sucking away your available payload, and ultra lite or not, that is not a small/light trailer.
I added the door jam sticker from the truck
Old 05-28-2021, 05:25 AM   #4
jfk69

Not that one. There will be another one. It’s yellow. It says something like “the maximum weight of passengers and cargo is not to exceed xxxx#”. Need to see that one.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
jfk69

Sorry, missed it. So the trailer, with a maximum GVWR of 7560, will have a tongue weight of about 980# loaded, using 13% as the percentage of tongue weight from gross weight. Add another 100# for hitch.

That leaves you about 400# and change for passengers, any cargo you carry, and any add-ones you’ve added to the truck like running boards, mudflaps, tow mirror extensions,etc. before you’re over payload for the rig. I prefer to have a margin built in, especially with a 32’ rig behind you. That’s pretty tight. We only have the wife, dog(Lab) and I, but I’m about 230# alone, so three of us will push 450#. Payload gets eaten up fast, it’s almost always the limiter on travel trailers/fifth wheels, and while everyone “says” they’ll pack light, the reality is we don’t.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Blackrock

Prepare yourself for a roasting from the one ton drivers.
You are already ahead of the game with the factory LT tires, adding air bags will smooth out a lot of the bounce on the rougher roads. I'm towing with a 1/2 ton loaded right at max and getting on down the road just fine.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
You are already ahead of the game with the factory LT tires, adding air bags will smooth out a lot of the bounce on the rougher roads. I'm towing with a 1/2 ton loaded right at max and getting on down the road just fine.
And the airbags drop payload further, the tires will improve the ride but don’t change the payload and has been pointed out numerous times here, your sig photo shows you’re on the ragged edge at best, and most probably over.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
The above guidance comes from the same member who stated "When loaded out with full LP and FW I'm 600# over on the rear axle. Does this bother me? Not in the least. Do i care what you think?"

You will find two types of members answering your post:
  1. Those who could care less about the DOT and other safety requirements and plan to do what they want when they want. According to the RV Safety Training Institute, over 50% of towed vehicles on the road exceed at least one of the federal towing requirements.
  2. Those who choose to operate their towed rigs within all of the DOT requirements because they believe that is the safe and responsible course of action.
You will need to decide where you fall on the above subject. Then you need to start with an understanding of how to determine if your rig is legal. You will need to visit a CAT or other truck scale to get some real "as loaded" numbers, and then take required actions.

With a 1/2 ton, Joe has already pointed you to the issue of payload - that is likely going to be the most limiting requirement on your rig. The second is overall length. The general Rule-of-thumb often referenced is 20 feet of TT for the first 120 inches of TV wheelbase, then 1 foot of additional trailer length for each additional 4 inches of wheelbase greater than 120 inches. This is not a DOT requirement; it is guidance from empirical evidence. You will have to decide how much you want to exceed this general guidance. Lastly, how you load and then operate the vehicle will be a key element in your safety. Not to scare you but as a reality check, I recommend you watch:

Good luck with your quest!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #9
FitzF150HybridXLTFx4

Thank you everyone.. Yes, I definitely see a difference in opinions through out this thread.. - which in my opinion is good; no one was mean at all.. I also want to mention that this is not my first time towing. We planned this out pretty detailed and made informed decisions based on our family - Again, I have experience towing a TT across the country - but was in a 4Runner and a much smaller trailer.. and then again in a station wagon and a pop up.. also a 5th wheel, and a boat.. I asked about the air bags to see if it helps take away Ford's softness.. but overall its a great ride.. I realize the airbags take away from payload.. We are forgoing that because of the spray liner.. 80lbs or so.. We will not be traveling across the country in this camper.. When we do that, we will get a new TT and truck to accommodate that trip accordingly and safely also,, due to our experience, we know how to pack and know our limits..

the video you showed? Ive seen it.. I don't drive like that.. Nor do I pack like that.. plus, that has to be a 40' camper, clearly overloaded and a loaded truck..sucks they did that.. I have seen that happen.. sucks..

anyway, safe camping.. Ill post updates and pics of our adventure..
Old 05-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

There's an old saying, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". We see this constantly where someone will ask about towing such and such with this or that tow vehichle. Sometimes the person inquiring has already made up their minds and are only looking for and willing to accept support for their decision. They will show tables and videos supporting their theories but that's a flawed logic approach.

Few people that post videos and promote towing over capacity ever circle back later with an update if things are still going well and especially if they are not going well. I've seen a few on here fight forever and then go away, some fight then later come back and say "wow was I wrong". I'm one of the "wow was I wrong folks nearly a decade ago. Folks like myself that realize it's ok to wrong and correct it and want to attempt to help others avoid our mistakes are often referred to as "weight police".

The folks that do tow overweight and haven't had an issue often make the mistake of rationalizing that since it hasn't been a problem it never will be. This "false confidence" can lead to disasters when the confidence leads to "relaxing and letting your guard down" or getting too deep into a situation that the truck cannot recover from. Then there are the folks who tow grossly overloaded, and then brag about it and foolishly advise others to do the same, they typically are reprimanded or banned if they continue the practice.

So read the responses, and judge for yourself who the "straight shooters" are and who the the "talk out of a different portal" folks are. Good luck and safe travels.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #11
notanlines

Brad, whether the OP agrees that this video is germane to the situation or not, I have to say that is an excellent video, short and to the point.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
The above guidance comes from the same member who stated "When loaded out with full LP and FW I'm 600# over on the rear axle. Does this bother me? Not in the least. Do i care what you think?"

You will find two types of members answering your post:
  1. Those who could care less about the DOT and other safety requirements and plan to do what they want when they want. According to the RV Safety Training Institute, over 50% of towed vehicles on the road exceed at least one of the federal towing requirements.
  2. Those who choose to operate their towed rigs within all of the DOT requirements because they believe that is the safe and responsible course of action.
You will need to decide where you fall on the above subject. Then you need to start with an understanding of how to determine if your rig is legal. You will need to visit a CAT or other truck scale to get some real "as loaded" numbers, and then take required actions.

With a 1/2 ton, Joe has already pointed you to the issue of payload - that is likely going to be the most limiting requirement on your rig. The second is overall length. The general Rule-of-thumb often referenced is 20 feet of TT for the first 120 inches of TV wheelbase, then 1 foot of additional trailer length for each additional 4 inches of wheelbase greater than 120 inches. This is not a DOT requirement; it is guidance from empirical evidence. You will have to decide how much you want to exceed this general guidance. Lastly, how you load and then operate the vehicle will be a key element in your safety. Not to scare you but as a reality check, I recommend you watch:

Good luck with your quest!

Brad thanks for sharing the video. I've seen it before but it is a good reminder and should be helpful to those interested. Unfortunately (and I've met them) there are those that fit the same category as the examples shown that say "it won't happen to me", "I can control it better", yada yada. The bad thing is, as I've said before, when that "oh crap" moment comes, it comes out of the blue and once started won't stop until it ends however it's going to end - not matter if it wasn't supposed to happen to you or not.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzF150HybridXLTFx4 View Post
Just purchased a 2021 F150 XLT FX4 Off road with the 3.5 powerboost hybrid with the trailer tow package, 302a High, pwr roof, and 7.2kw generator and has the 7350# GVWR package and the 3.73 gear option. WDH.

Just found a 2014 28' Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite travel trailer 281BHS - The body is 28' - total length bow to stern is 32'

This trailer has a GVWR of 7590 lbs. We keep this down to realistically to 6500 lbs to 7k max with our stuff. Just 3 passengers with no cargo.. packing all in the trailer. It has a nice axle stance and its the correct size for this truck.

We are camping for the summer, up until October probably - Staying in 3 campgrounds in the same state. I am thinking that I still may add some air bags.. thoughts?

Others have chimed in so just some thoughts;

If you load to 7k (not gvw) you will still be on the ragged edge of your weight limits - 3 folks. You said nothing in truck but I don't see how you can do that (I've never been able to in half a century of camping). So weight will be critical.

How far you are traveling really has no bearing on the safety of the rig; the numbers are the numbers. And what is it they say about driving fatalities? Most happen within 30 miles of home or something like that?

I've not seen one of the hybrid f150s but seems Ford is really trying to "push out there" whether good or bad. Specs for the engine look really strong; I would absolutely hate to have something break because you better have deep pockets.

If you have a "soft" ride (I gave up Fords and that was one of the reasons) it detracts from towing ability/safety. Do you keep those rear LT tires aired to the max on the sidewall when towing? What about the trailer? After that the air bags will help with that but also deduct from available payload. IMO I would use something as light as possible (no onboard air tank, compressor etc.) to save on payload. I always used AirLift but don't know if they have an application for your truck.

Be safe, load light and.....hit a scale.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzF150HybridXLTFx4 View Post
Thank you everyone.. Yes, I definitely see a difference in opinions through out this thread.. - which in my opinion is good; no one was mean at all.. I also want to mention that this is not my first time towing. We planned this out pretty detailed and made informed decisions based on our family - Again, I have experience towing a TT across the country - but was in a 4Runner and a much smaller trailer.. and then again in a station wagon and a pop up.. also a 5th wheel, and a boat.. I asked about the air bags to see if it helps take away Ford's softness.. but overall its a great ride.. I realize the airbags take away from payload.. We are forgoing that because of the spray liner.. 80lbs or so.. We will not be traveling across the country in this camper.. When we do that, we will get a new TT and truck to accommodate that trip accordingly and safely also,, due to our experience, we know how to pack and know our limits..

the video you showed? Ive seen it.. I don't drive like that.. Nor do I pack like that.. plus, that has to be a 40' camper, clearly overloaded and a loaded truck..sucks they did that.. I have seen that happen.. sucks..

anyway, safe camping.. Ill post updates and pics of our adventure..
I think you already know the obvious answer to your dilemma, and rather than accept it, you're looking for "someone to verify that you'll be "OK, so don't worry about nonsense"... The bolded statement above gives me the indication that you are aware of the fact that your rig is "on the ragged edge" and that you've already started making concessions to try to remain under the GVW. Then you go on to make the "classic compromises" like "We'll only travel short distances" or "We only tow a couple of times a season" or "We never load things in our truck"... All of which are "quickly ignored as soon as nothing happens on the first trip".....

We all know that a truck and trailer have no ability to determine "distance from home" or "frequency of travel" so to use those "exclusions" are bogus as a football bat. Compromising with statements like, "We will not be traveling across the country in this camper.. When we do that, we will get a new TT and truck to accommodate that trip accordingly and safely" What you're "subconsciously saying is "This rig is inadequate for longer trips and to safely tow on longer trips". Doesn't that mean that it's equally inadequate for short trips?

You already know the obvious, the question is whether you choose to ignore it or follow your own conclusions......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

As have been noted, there are two types of folks who take part in these discussions.
Type 1 are the folks who refer to safety factors when towing or conversely the ones who disregard the folks promoting safety.
Type 2. The folks who compulsively look at these threads in a similar manner to folks who have to stare at crash scenes.

I believe I have fallen into Cat 2! There seems ALWAYS be the same line of discussion as has been pointed out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Ribtip

So whats wrong with a football bat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210528-131920_Chrome.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	33854  
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #17
Ribtip

Oh come on guys because she's not over weight nobody has anything to say. Now thats funny. Just kidding have a good weekend
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #18
FlyingAroundRV

Without actually weighing your rig, it looks like you're going to be very close if not over your max payload weight.
Think about this:
If you are an ounce overweight and have an accident, where is your insurance commpany going to look first?
You guessed it...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
Oh come on guys because she's not over weight nobody has anything to say. Now thats funny. Just kidding have a good weekend

Sorry I've been gone most of the day. Has she been scaled yet?
Old 05-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sorry I've been gone most of the day. Has she been scaled yet?
You "scale" a bluegill (had some for supper tonight BTW)... Having worked in a primary care clinic for WAY too many years, I learned the very first day, NEVER vocalize a lady's weight, just put it on the record and start taking blood pressure, breathing rate and temperature.... Let the "more diplomatic people" who have a need to discuss weight do it "WHEN THE DOOR IS CLOSED".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow