Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 03:40 AM   #1
jxnbbl

BetterWeight

I was reading an old edition of a "Trailer Life" magazine and read about a ODB-II interface device called "BetterWeight". It is a smart phone app interfaced device that measures the acceleration, torque converter slip, etc and calculates weights and weight distribution (between truck/trailer). Has anyone looked at these.

I know most will say bring it to a scale but if/when a scale is not around/accessible seems like an interesting option. I've read 3 articles on this from different reviewers and they have given a thumbs up.

thanks
Jay
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
markcee

I find it to be reasonably accurate. I have the 'Haul Gauge' branded version, which was the company that developed the product originally. It has since been bought out by Curt and changed to 'Betterweigh'. I don't know if changes have been made to the device since Curt took over, but one thing I found is that the manual calibration of the product (which takes about 20 minutes of starts and stops in a parking lot) improved the accuracy of the device over the more automated process of just entering your VIN. The 'automated' method required a lot less driving to calibrate.

My one pet peeve is with the overall truck or truck/trailer weighting. In order to do this you start from a complete stop and accelerate fairly quickly to 15 mph. The weights can vary greatly in how you accelerate. By that I mean give a little too much gas or a little less and your truck can go from weighing the correct 6500 lbs to 7200 or 5800. I suspect this has to do with how heavy a foot you did or didn't use during calibration. You need to be able to repeat that same level of acceleration to get consistent readings.

I have not yet messed with the tongue weight or weight distribution features but plan to do so. These were not developed when I was really messing with the product (because I was towing close to the max with a 1/2 ton at the time and was more concerned about it). I did experiment with the payload feature by loading known weight in the bed and found that to be pretty spot on.

Overall, if you like tech gadgets, it's a fun (and useful) device for the $100.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote