Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #61
jasin1

Remember when I saw this a long long time ago
Desi and Lucy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A585C77-3271-423C-AE5D-E1272DACF681.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	33531  
Old 05-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #62
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
2019 Chevrolet Volt
Compact car
7.5/10 · US News & World Report
Range: 53 mi battery-only, 420 mi total
Battery charge time: 13h at 110V, 2.3h at 220V
Curb weight: 3,519 to 3,543 lbs
Horsepower: 149 hp
Dimensions: 180″ L x 71″ W x 56″ H
Danny

There are two models with similar names:

VOLT = a hybrid (which I believe is discontinued)
BOLT = all electric

My brother has a BOLT. I'll check with him about charge times and range (give me some time; I'm on the road and will rely on him to reply to a text or email, and then I need good wireless service from the campground). I've driven his BOLT; it's a peppy little car and quite comfortable. I have a Ford Fiesta, and while it gets tremendous mileage for being a straight ICE (average over 10K miles ~40 mpg), the seats are uncomfortable as all get-out!

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry. I had no idea of a Bolt vs Volt!! Guess I don't spend enough time looking at those things. Talking about electric cars I immediately went to "Volt". Here is the quickie on that one;

2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Compact car
8/10
Car and Driver
8.1/10
US News & World Report
Range: 259 mi battery-only
MSRP: From $36,500
MPGe: 127 city / 108 highway
Dimensions: 164″ L x 70″ W x 63″ H
Battery charge time: 10h at 220V

I won't drive mini cars and those are tiny to me. If a motorcycle hit you broadside in that it would kill you. In my truck...I would have a dent but that's just me. It also appears you can drive for about 4 hours and spend a day charging....don't know what that's good for other than living in a city...which I won't. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #64
JRTJH
Site Team

My son was "deep into R/C car racing when he was in high school. One of the biggest drawbacks was range. His cars had replaceable batteries and his "pit stops" weren't to "glug 20 gallons into the tank" but to change out the battery and maybe adjust a servo. Multiple, interchangeable batteries worked for his "toy cars"... They also work for my cordless tools...

I wonder is there's any thought on having "exchange batteries" so you stop at a fuel station/battery station, pull out the 300 pound discharged one, plug in a 300 pound fully charged one, all in about 4 or 5 minutes, just like "pumping 20 gallons....

I'd suspect a lot of people would prefer not to exchange their "personal battery" so, sort of like the "Blue Flame Propane tank exchange", go pick up a "used full one" and when it's empty, pay for a full one and keep "grilling" or "driving"...

It'll take all the auto manufacturers to "standardize their battery systems" but all the flashlight and portable radio manufacturers did that during the 8 transistor radio era, back in the '60's....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:04 AM   #65
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My son was "deep into R/C car racing when he was in high school. One of the biggest drawbacks was range. His cars had replaceable batteries and his "pit stops" weren't to "glug 20 gallons into the tank" but to change out the battery and maybe adjust a servo. Multiple, interchangeable batteries worked for his "toy cars"... They also work for my cordless tools...

I wonder is there's any thought on having "exchange batteries" so you stop at a fuel station/battery station, pull out the 300 pound discharged one, plug in a 300 pound fully charged one, all in about 4 or 5 minutes, just like "pumping 20 gallons....

I'd suspect a lot of people would prefer not to exchange their "personal battery" so, sort of like the "Blue Flame Propane tank exchange", go pick up a "used full one" and when it's empty, pay for a full one and keep "grilling" or "driving"...

It'll take all the auto manufacturers to "standardize their battery systems" but all the flashlight and portable radio manufacturers did that during the 8 transistor radio era, back in the '60's....

I'm a fan of the British show "Top Gear". Years ago they did a segment on an electric racing car that had quick change batteries. After thrashing it around the track for a while it caught fire and burned to the ground. Just a week or so ago the same show did a segment on an electric rally car. It was crazy fast with about a 20 min battery life.

Electric vehicles have been around for over a century. Electric trains and trolleys are very efficient at moving people and freight. IMO the battery technology just isn't there yet. Running a battery operated car to me would be like everyone's house using a generator instead of the grid.

Ok, I have my helment on, all the "Green" folks can throw rocks now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:05 AM   #66
LynneV

I'm going to have to try to figure out how much it costs to "fill" er up. Whatever it is I can guarantee you it is cheaper then buying gas.
When I charge it it will show the amount of miles I can get with a minimum and maximum. It gets more charge when it is warm. The most miles I have seen is 280 miles on a charge. Now if I go balls out on a highway my milage will not be that, however if I drive around town I will get more.
It charges up in the middle of the night while rates are lower. Its computer tells it when to charge based on lower rates. Depends on how low the available milage is as to how long to charge it. I usually plug it in with about 100 miles left. I'm usually sleeping while it's charging but I believe it takes 3-4 hours to complete.

BEST thing about this car is the cameras. It has that one that shows you the view looking down on the car and of course the front and back cameras. It is roomy and comfortable and can carry stuff.

We have a Ford F250 for doing the heavy stuff but we drive the Bolt 90% of the time.

2008 Fuzion 393
LynneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #67
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=LynneV;449129]I'm going to have to try to figure out how much it costs to "fill" er up. Whatever it is I can guarantee you it is cheaper then buying gas.

The above won't be true, by a long shot, if/when they decide to mandate electric vehicle usage then take your paycheck to pay for the infrastructure to support them - which is where they want to go.

The other thing is time. My time is worth money. In my mind I figure $200hr. minimum. Now I don't work BUT when I want to do something....I WANT TO DO IT! - not sit on the side of the road charging a battery. Driving 100 miles at 75-80mph (don't forget those 30-50 mph head winds), drain the battery then sit for 10 hours to charge (if you're not sitting on the side of some desolate road not charging) is off the charts expensive to me. JMO
Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #68
LynneV

I could go point by point on all the “this is what I have heard” information but why bother. I have owned an electric vehicle for 4 years I have the experience of using it and know how it works.
I have 251 miles ready to use on my car right now. If I want to go somewhere I go.
10 hrs charge time is ridiculous unless you’re using a 110 low amp charger and who would do that?

2008 Fuzion 393
LynneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #69
KeystoneKal

The EV acceptance will occur when the trucking industry starts making the move to EV trucks. Their decision will be based on costs and any other maintenance and service advantages Electric has over gas or diesel.
At one point in the early 1900’s there were more electric cars on the road then gasoline. Once the the petroleum infrastructure spread throughout the USofA it was more convenient to pump in a few gallons of Standard Oil’s finest than to wait for hours it would take to charge the Baker Electric.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #70
Ken / Claudia

Besides writing speeding tickets to EV drivers in the city on flat roadways. I know some must have plenty of power for me to have written EVs speeding tickets on several steep uphill city streets.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

Cost? Well now we ALLare paying for it now because it's being subsidised by our tax dollars.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #72
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneV View Post

The most miles I have seen is 280 miles on a charge. Now if I go balls out on a highway my milage will not be that, however if I drive around town I will get more.
It charges up in the middle of the night while rates are lower. Its computer tells it when to charge based on lower rates. Depends on how low the available milage is as to how long to charge it. I usually plug it in with about 100 miles left. I'm usually sleeping while it's charging but I believe it takes 3-4 hours to complete.

You don't have to go "point by point on all this is what I've heard information"....you just said it....unless that is just hearsay.

Most miles you could ever get is 280. You stop out of caution at 100 miles left. Max travel is 180 IF you aren't doing anything other than puttering around town...what I tried to point out earlier. THEN you wait overnight to recharge...you don't know how long that takes.

For regular folks, particularly in places other than a city, how could that work? And that's with a tiny "car". No, you don't have to go point by point, it is what it is and folks can see that.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:27 AM   #73
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm waiting for that "portable accessory" to extend the range of electric vehicles... You know, that gas powered generator that mounts to the receiver, on a platform that "shakes and rattles and bends" as you drive down the highway....

I can see the TESLA or the FORD Mustang ad now, "For a small charge, an optional generator to extend your range is available from your dealer. Just fill the tank and extend your range. Many owners find it provides an unlimited range with no need to stop for recharging while on your long range trip. When towing your RV, just move the generator and platform to the rear of your trailer and connect with the optional, extra cost extension cord."
John

Do you know the efficiency of a small generator versus a V8? I know during each energy transformation that occurs some useful energy is "lost" to waste heat, but in the end - which is better all the way around: EV (which must be charged from a large powerplant) or a hybrid (something like the Prius or Volt) which has a small ICE to do the recharge job. (Let's not include the energy usage of building a battery versus an ICE.) Then there's your suggestion of using a separate generator to charge the EV on-the-go, something like a VOLT or an old-styled Prius. At one time I had a 2002 Prius - a great car, getting 54 mpg when it was new and mid-40s before it finally died. My biggest gripe with that car was maintenance costs; every time I took it in to the dealer it cost a small fortune (but I guess it's that way for any Toyota). And with my old Prius it was not designed to tow anything; I'm not sure about the newer ones.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 06-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #74
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
<snip>

My brother has a BOLT. I'll check with him about charge times and range (give me some time; I'm on the road and will rely on him to reply to a text or email, and then I need good wireless service from the campground). <snip>
Sorry for the delay ... have been on the road (and with my fingers, tap-a-talk doesn't cut it!)

My brother says a fully charged battery gets him an indicated ~250 miles, and he never runs it to more than half "empty". He has the 240V charger, so it takes a few hours to charge back up.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #75
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How does someone actually know towing specs on an electro-mobile? I am impressed!
But the dealer said it would tow it fine! LOL
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #76
SummitPond

Two articles of possible interest on a proposed Tesla CyberTruck pop-up camper:

article 1

article 2

Old 06-24-2021, 04:47 AM   #77
notanlines

I dearly loved the first comment from Arizona Bill: “Like putting powdered sugar on a meadow muffin!”
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #78
B-O-B'03

I have long wondered; if our current electrical grid can barely handle what we are throwing at it, without brown-outs and rolling black-outs, how is it expected to handle charging up all the electric cars we are supposed to move to?

A friend of mine sent me this today, definitely something to think about.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #79
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I have long wondered; if our current electrical grid can barely handle what we are throwing at it, without brown-outs and rolling black-outs, how is it expected to handle charging up all the electric cars we are supposed to move to?

A friend of mine sent me this today, definitely something to think about.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. The video barely scratches the surface of all the inevitable truths concerning "going green" and living in a "battery" powered society. It isn't possible with any technology currently available (unless a spaceship lands tomorrow and shares something with us), far more costly in both dollars and environmental damage along with the damage done to our way of life. Those are all evident to anyone not driven by ideology alone. Sort of like the guy living on welfare deciding one day he wants a Ferrari; doesn't have a cent and no plan to get any in the future but he decides that's what he WANTS. So he orders the Ferrari to be made; his solution to pay for it when it comes in? He'll just snap his fingers and the money will appear......yeah - that won't happen but he will definitely be in a bind.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #80
jasin1

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/demo...battery-energy

More power plants and less gas stations ?