Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
Kdahmen

Andersen 5th Wheel Hitch

Curious if anyone on the forum who uses/or has used the Andersen hitch have actually experienced any structural damage they felt was a direct result of using the Andersen? After ready through many forums I'm just not seeing the complaints, but more of people that use them "love them".

I'm in the process of purchasing a Cougar 364BHL to be towed with 2019 F350 6.7L diesel. Dealer has started selling Andersen hitches again, but have produced the release of claims paperwork purchaser must sign if they decide to go with the Andersen. In an email I received from the salesman the memo actually states "We have one waiver that is specific to Keystone and one that would cover any other manufacturer we may have a similar issue with..."

I've also seen the warranty paperwork from Andersen. Regardless I feel that if something were to happen structurally, both parties will end up pointing the finger at the other.
Kdahmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdahmen View Post
I've also seen the warranty paperwork from Andersen. Regardless I feel that if something were to happen structurally, both parties will end up pointing the finger at the other.
I’m waiting for someone to report on the results too. I believe the blame would be tossed back and forth with the comsumer being caught in the middle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is one thread on this forum concerning a member who had structural damage (metal cracks/weld separations) that he believed were a direct result of the hitch. Lippert, who built the frame, refused to warranty the damage. Keystone "punted the issue" to Lippert and refused to accept the warranty repairs as their responsibility. The member posted that he had contacted Andersen Hitch Company to file a claim using their "5 million dollar promise".

As I recall, that member was requested to submit photos to Andersen, who would inspect the photos and possibly the trailer damage and THEY (not an independent inspection agency) would determine whether to accept the damage as "directly caused by the hitch"... If it was determined that it was not related to the hitch, then Andersen would disapprove any responsibility.

I do not remember any "final outcome that was posted" but the general consensus was that the way Andersen "scripted the 5 million dollar guarantee" was suspect, at best, to favor the trailer owner seeking repair reimbursement. It was "worded to favor the Andersen hitch company" who had final inspection authority and final approval of any responsibility for damage.....

Like you, I have not seen a "long string of posts with photos of damaged trailers, all a direct result of the hitch".... That said, there is a recent thread discussing the Keystone policy concerning the ONLY approved "non-conventional fifth wheel hitch assembly" and confirmation from Lippert of their "corporate policy concerning warranty claims related to frame damage when towing with any hitch that has not been "approved by Lippert".

Bottom line was: The Andersen hitch is not approved by Keystone or by Lippert. Using it will result in denial of damages by both Keystone and Lippert. That leaves the owner with a busted trailer to rely on the "5 million dollar promise" which is, at best, another step in trying to get your trailer fixed.

In this world of "making things easier to accomplish" adding steps that may or may not result in a favorable outcome is, IMHO, "making things harder to accomplish".... YMMV.

Here's the recent thread discussing the Keystone policy: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...hlight=lippert

This has long been a very controversial issue both with owners of Andersen hitches and with potential buyers looking for a lighter hitch. There's "passionate discussion" on both sides of the issue, so plan on buying a box of Tums before you finish the thread you've started

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
tomsws6

I actually used it on my cyclone 4200 with a 3500 and actually liked it. As long as I got the ball lined up it was fairly simple to use. Actually it probably saved me from getting hurt in the accident I had with the camper. Deer, yes I know, ran out in front of me and like an idiot I swerved causing the trailer to catch the side of the road and go down a hill. The ball actually snapped breaking the trailer free when it rolled on its side and allowed the truck to stay upright.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I own/use the Andersen. I wanted it due to the light weight. Prior to buying I tried to do my due diligence as you seem to be.

I found none (zero) of the many actual owners I spoke with that had anything but praise for the hitch. I found one incident reported online where the scenario you alluded to happened; finger pointing both ways with the customer in the middle. IIRC the owner had a problem with the sidewall breaking out which was a known Keystone problem but they used the Andersen as an excuse and Andersen said it was a structural defect.

Prior to purchase I also spoke with the SM at my dealership whom I've know for quite some time and has long term experience with RVs. He said he has not seen a frame failure from the Andersen and recommended it. I bought it and love it. The ease of use and removal is a huge benefit.

You will find tons of negative remarks about the Andersen; virtually all from folks that have never owned one....it's just not a "real" hitch; it's aluminum; basically "it's not what I have so it can't be as good", much like a gas vs diesel, GM vs Ford conversation. You can disregard those. Some will post pics of failures but if you dig into the situation you will generally find that there was some non Andersen reason for the failure.

Warranty; a new twist for 2021. In March I believe Keystone stopped honoring any frame warranty for their trailers if using an Andersen. Prior to that they would still honor it. From what I can tell the situation is because of the relationship Lippert has developed with Reese and their desire to push the Reese Goose Box hitch - which they stipulate they will honor with warranty....the only one.

In the end the vast preponderance of information I found fell solidly behind the Andersen. Now, do I have any illusions that if there were a frame failure that Andersen or Keystone is just going to raise their hand and say "yep, it's my fault"? Ain't gonna happen. I have communicated with both Keystone and Andersen multiple times. Andersen's refusal to do anything but send a copy of their "warranty", which includes the disclaimer that they would pay only if an outside source said it was their problem (I heard of one instance where this was used and it was the "Keystone manufacturing defect" answer from Andersen) gives me little confidence in Andersen (along with their reluctance to answer/return calls or emails). On the other hand Keystone has been prompt and up front. Responses from both leave no doubt in my mind that the resolution of any frame problem, if it happened, will go just as I said it would above.

As far as I'm concerned the majority of Keystone frame failures were wall failures that are actually manufacturing defects. If it happens it happens but won't be because of the Andersen - you just have to make that choice.

To those that hate Andersen's because they aren't "real" 5th wheel hitches, please note I'm not bashing any other brand or kind. They all do what they do and we all like what we like....and, lots of those "frame" (wall) failures came with traditional 5th wheel hitches. Please keep that in mind before we start another 20 pages of "tit for tat" , "mines bigger than yours" commentary.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
jsb5717

Here is a lengthy thread on the Montana Forum. There is a recent memo from Keystone re: the Andersen Hitch. I have one and love using it. However, based on this recent memo, I wouldn't begin using one now if warranty claims are at stake. It appears that Keystone and Lippert will continue to accept warranty claims if the hitch was in use prior to 3/15/21. Owner must prove prior use and, of course, they will still investigate the claim.

I struggle to see how this hitch can cause a frame failure but that's a moot point at this juncture. The reason the dealership wants you to sign a release is likely due to this latest memo.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...light=andersen
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Just to put my two cents in (I use an Andersen Ultimate and don't care a lick about warranty as my camper is so old it doesn't apply); I believe most of the frame failure show up when there is an east/west bedroom slide out. Can't recall seeing the crack on a fiver with a north/south bed with no slide. I believe Lippert under-engineered the frame to take the stress of the slide and hence the crack. Maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't buy a camper with a bedroom slide out especially on the driver side if that makes any difference.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just to put my two cents in (I use an Andersen Ultimate and don't care a lick about warranty as my camper is so old it doesn't apply); I believe most of the frame failure show up when there is an east/west bedroom slide out. Can't recall seeing the crack on a fiver with a north/south bed with no slide. I believe Lippert under-engineered the frame to take the stress of the slide and hence the crack. Maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't buy a camper with a bedroom slide out especially on the driver side if that makes any difference.

Lippert/Keystone knew there was a problem and that's why they started putting a relief cut on the front edge of the slide - had nothing to do with what kind of hitch was being used.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

I have an Andersen and it has worked great. I love the light weight. But I wouldn't buy one today. At the time i knew nothing about fifth wheel hitches and relied heavily on my dealer who was also an Andersen dealer. Since then I've wished i knew more about the conventional hitches or pin boxes that connected directly to the gooseneck ball at the time i purchased my fifth wheel. Cost isn't that much more. I was leaning that direction and now feel even stronger about it with the warranty concerns. But, as I said, the Andersen has worked great for me.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
Northofu1

I have an anderson hitch and like it, that being said, my trailer is 31' and has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I love how light it is, but with a larger 5er over 12,000 lbs I probably would have gone with a traditional hitch. With the frame warranty issues and service bulletins from Lippert, I have terrible luck and would not want that to come back on me. I would probably use the B & W Companion. JM2CW

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdahmen View Post
Curious if anyone on the forum who uses/or has used the Andersen hitch have actually experienced any structural damage they felt was a direct result of using the Andersen? After ready through many forums I'm just not seeing the complaints, but more of people that use them "love them".

I'm in the process of purchasing a Cougar 364BHL to be towed with 2019 F350 6.7L diesel. Dealer has started selling Andersen hitches again, but have produced the release of claims paperwork purchaser must sign if they decide to go with the Andersen. In an email I received from the salesman the memo actually states "We have one waiver that is specific to Keystone and one that would cover any other manufacturer we may have a similar issue with..."

I made a long post trying to address the items you mentioned. Something you didn't ask, but something you might think about; if not Andersen then what? Something I'm thinking about as well.

I will say that I trust Keystone more than I trust Lippert and much more than I trust Andersen. Keystone has already notified you/owners of their hedge on the Andersen due to Lippert saying the same thing. Basically if you buy an Andersen after March of '21 you're on your own.

With those givens, the fact that I want to use my bed and I'm not going to try to hoist 200+lbs. in and out all the time, IMO I would go with the Reese Goosebox. It leaves the bed clean, no heavy hitch to mess with and it's stipulated that Reese, Lippert and Keystone warranties cover it so you eliminate all that potential hassle. In my case, I have the Andersen, bought it before their cutoff date so it is covered BUT I don't trust Andersen and some of the things their representatives have done, which I think is reflective on the values of the company, don't sit well with me. Plus, although the Andersen is light and is easy to remove it still takes up bed space if you don't want to get in there and get it out. The Goosebox eliminates that. Just some things to think about if those kinds of things are your goals.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
tech740

If you dont have a hitch yet, consider a goosebox. I love the Andersen that I have, but given that I was willing to spend money on another hitch or was buying a camper to have it put in the deal I would go with a goosebox.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

From a techs view:

If you have the Anderson and your TV breaks down, simply remove the adapter and anybody with a standard hitch can move it for you.

With the goosebox, given the same scenario, you’ll need a specific tow truck or a BIG one to tow the whole thing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

I was curious and found the Goosebox was about $1500 retail at most locations. Looked on eBay and the 16K version was going for $1143 from one seller w/free ship.

Then I saw this... what the heck is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30396325155...kAAOSwne1f0xe7
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
From a techs view:

If you have the Anderson and your TV breaks down, simply remove the adapter and anybody with a standard hitch can move it for you.

With the goosebox, given the same scenario, you’ll need a specific tow truck or a BIG one to tow the whole thing.

Chuck thank you. My brain had not gone that far and you are right. Maybe a gooseneck equipped truck but in all the places we go to they're either Andersen or regular 5th wheel hitches.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #16
Kdahmen

Thanks for the replies. After a lot of back and forth I've decided I'm going forward with the Andersen. Talking with an individual in parts/service, they feel Keystone pointing the finger at Lippert for this situation and probably has to do with their acquisition of CURT Group back in late 2019.
Kdahmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I was curious and found the Goosebox was about $1500 retail at most locations. Looked on eBay and the 16K version was going for $1143 from one seller w/free ship.

Then I saw this... what the heck is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30396325155...kAAOSwne1f0xe7

Looks like it should be this, based on the number. Someone used a wrong pic in the ad
https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Goosene...9992245&sr=8-1
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
tech740

When we had a transmission failure while out of town my camper was towed tot he campsite for us. We us an Andersen. While waiting for the tow truck I took the adapter off the kingpin. When he got there I asked about it and he said it didn't matter to him because he had a gooseneck ball that he can put on the stinger in place of the fifth wheel hitch. He said he hauls gooseneck trailers for customers also. It was a semi wrecker though because he had to hang all the pin weight 10 feet or so behind his rear axle.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #19
gearhead

Just back from 4,000 mile trip with the new Goosebox. Very pleased.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #20
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Just back from 4,000 mile trip with the new Goosebox. Very pleased.
Do you have a long, or a short bed truck. I'm looking at another shortbed, and as much as I love my pullrite, I also hate the weight.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch