Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
K_N_L

Another vote for the Equalizer, used it with a 9K TT toyhauler and it was great once it was setup properly. I had one on 2 different trucks the hitch height and angle made a big difference in towing on the highway. Properly setup and with a correctly loaded trailer, big rig passes were non-events.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

With that size trailer strapped to the back of a 1/2 ton truck you're going to be maxed out on weight and control. Get a good 4 pt sway control WDH. Read many positive reviews on the Reese. I'd suggest your initial trip include a drive over the CAT scales to fing out exactly where you and your truck stand.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Had someone PM me and said the same about the rear end. I haven't noticed but again, I don't know what i dont know. Appreciate the help. I will take your advice about the larger TW. Was gonna pull the trigger on the 10k tonight but will wait until the AM and grab the bigger one.

How do y'all install these? My torque doesn't go anywhere near the required 265 lb (or whatever it was with the HF WDH) and had to ask a local mechanic to secure for me. Is that what you do, or do you have a torque that goes that high?
First time my Equalizer was installed by the dealer...wrong...badly, including the ball only being tightened by 3 threads... I was off the charts when I called, then went back, and had the SM and GM twitching.

I then bought a torque wrench capable of 350lb. ft. for setting the hitch up. I also enlisted the help of my friend that owns a tire shop to set it up and pull that thing to 350 - the guy had the hitch in a huge vise on a solid steel, bolted down table and had his feet pushing against the exterior wall to make it click!

If you have access you could have a shop torque it down as I did. They did not have a torque wrench that went that high. But, I would own the torque wrench. I also carried a 24" crescent wrench (don't recall why at the moment). The Equalizer is well worth it; the tools help you keep it in check. HF sells a heavy duty torque wrench that would suffice. Once set up you'll be in good shape.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #24
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
With that size trailer strapped to the back of a 1/2 ton truck you're going to be maxed out on weight and control. Get a good 4 pt sway control WDH. Read many positive reviews on the Reese. I'd suggest your initial trip include a drive over the CAT scales to fing out exactly where you and your truck stand.
That's the plan. There is one not too far from us. Already told the family to expect a delay due to it.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
Ksupaul

Wondering comparisons between the Equilizer and a Husky EDH with the chain set up if you don’t over tighten those chains? Is it the hitch or the application and set up of the hitch?
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Wondering comparisons between the Equilizer and a Husky EDH with the chain set up if you don’t over tighten those chains? Is it the hitch or the application and set up of the hitch?
In the end all WD hitches do the same thing, transfer some of the tongue weight. They all just don’t do it the same way. There’s even the “upside down” I call it bars/chain (recurve).

How sway is controlled is the big difference in bar/chain and trunnion styles.

The price you pay can be nominal to extreme. Like having a surge protector/EMS, SOMETHING is better than nothing. And proper setup/usage is critical.

I’m not going to discuss the Anderson or Hensley, Just MY choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #27
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Had someone PM me and said the same about the rear end. I haven't noticed but again, I don't know what i dont know. Appreciate the help. I will take your advice about the larger TW. Was gonna pull the trigger on the 10k tonight but will wait until the AM and grab the bigger one.

How do y'all install these? My torque doesn't go anywhere near the required 265 lb (or whatever it was with the HF WDH) and had to ask a local mechanic to secure for me. Is that what you do, or do you have a torque that goes that high?
One more for the Equalizer.

Make sure you get the shank. When I bought my equalizer and checked several locations for price I found that some included, and some did not include, the shank. Also, note the instructions spec the threaded length end of the ball. If it's too long, it may interfere with the bars movement in a tight turn (think: backing into a tight camp spot, etc).
mikec557 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #28
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Some of the chain types are not meant to back up the rig with the chains engaged, for whatever reason I don't know. Bad idea if you can't back up without having to disengage the chains first - IMO.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #29
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Some of the chain types are not meant to back up the rig with the chains engaged, for whatever reason I don't know. Bad idea if you can't back up without having to disengage the chains first - IMO.
Hey Bill. This is the main reason I want to upgrade my current setup. With my current HF sway, I'm supposed to disengage them before backing into a spot. At least twice I've forgotten to do that when arriving.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I setup my current WDH and tightened the ball, sway balls, and nuts/bolts as much as I could with my tools. I have 3 torque wrenches but nothing that goes past 180 ft lbs. Then took it to the locally owned tire shop and they used a giant torque wrench to get proper torque on the bolts. Took 2 guys to do it. They did it for free since I use them for my truck and my wife's Journey. I tried to give them $$ but they said no. I bet they will accept it this time.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:19 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

I used my pnumatic gun with the ball in a vice. To do it manually put the shank in the reciever sideways with the nut on the driver's side. Get 2 lengths of pipe, one long enough to slip over a pipe wrench handle and reach the ground at an angle <90°. Take a second pipe large enough to slip over the wrench you're using for the nut. About 2' should do.

Now turn the nut until the pipe wrench engages the ground. Tighten the nut until the lock washer flattens againgst the nut. It may take a few "grunts" to get it tight but doing it this way you can lean on the wrench side and let your weight and gravity assist. If you ever remove it for any reason replace the split (lock) washer with a new one.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #31
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Weldon I've used the type of wdh you have now with the add on anti sway bars. Never could tell they did anything for sway but did found out those chains could/would make the rear of my truck so light the tires would just spin going over a hump in the street. Not trying to be ugly or anything but it was plain useless....and dangerous in winds/crosswinds.

I used the Equalizer 4 point for years and you can't beat them IMO; particularly considering how well they work vs how much they cost. I wouldn't even look or worry about another type/brand of hitch. The Equalizer is a proven, extremely popular, reliable and effective hitch. I highly recommend it.

When you order the Equalizer you need to "size" it for your trailer/load. Your trailer has a 7510lb. gvw. At 13% your tongue weight would be 976 lbs. IMO that's cutting it pretty close for 1000lb. bars. If it were me I would go with 1200lb. bars on the Equalizer. Some worry about a stiffer ride but I never had that and it gives you a little cushion on those bars as far as weight. I just don't like "marginal" in anything.
Took your advice and pulled the trigger on the 12K 4-point sway Equalizer on Amazon. It was $677 ($20 more than the 10K).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought the noise reducing sway brackets for an extra $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
One more for the Equalizer.

Make sure you get the shank. When I bought my equalizer and checked several locations for price I found that some included, and some did not include, the shank. Also, note the instructions spec the threaded length end of the ball. If it's too long, it may interfere with the bars movement in a tight turn (think: backing into a tight camp spot, etc).
I ordered the equalizer 14K ball (2 5/16") so I'm hoping it would be the right size to fit on their E4. It said it would on Amazon. We'll find out on Sat when it arrives!

Again, i appreciate all the feedback and help!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #32
Third Degree

Good choice on the Equalizer 4 WD hitch. I was going to say that I had never seen a WD hitch used with another sway hitch since the WD hitch is a sway controlling system to begin with. I am sure you will be a lot safe with your choice. There are a lot of videos out there on the set up and use of this hitch. Take your time and set it up right. Enjoy!
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #33
Bob Landry

Ditch the friction sway bars. You never know how tight you have "adjusted" them and they are totally useless on a trailer of your size and weight.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #34
bbells

I had two cheaper wdh's with sway bars added in the past. Now I have the equalizer four way. I wish I would have switched a decade ago. No more white knuckles on windy days and when trucks pass.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #35
Bandit12

Lots of folks here have Curt and Equalizer. I have something different. I have the Andersen WDH. I had it on my 5500Lb Jayco and when I traded the Jayco in, the dealer swapped the Andersen over to my 8800Lb Cougar. Its clean, no grease, quiet, lighter, easy to hitch and unhitch, most of the time without tools, and has built in sway control. Last week I had to take the trailer to the dealer to get a recall signed off. Rather windy that day and at highway speeds, I could feel it. I slowed from 65 to 55 and never felt a twitch. Full disclosure, this is not my truck or trailer.

Name:   Andersen WDH.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  12.0 KB
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #36
Gunny Mike

We use Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW with our 38' Outback and tow with a F250. We went with the 4 point sway control over the two point as we wanted more safety while towing. I recall our small one axle utility trailer swaying while being towed with a Buick Regal and that was a more then a white knuckle experience. Have yet to use the brake controller to stop a sway.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:53 AM   #37
Weldon

My Equalizer was supposed to be here 2 days ago, but Amazon said it was lost. Now its "Out for Delivery." We can hope. Went through this several times during the holidays but only 1 item was truly lost. Wondering if the weight of this item determines which driver can actually deliver it, even with hand trucks. We live on a large, steep driveway and the drivers always park in the cul de sac. Ive read that this thing is super heavy.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:42 AM   #38
Gunny Mike

It is heavy so you might need to break it down to lift it. I keep mine on HF furniture dolly when not in use and under the trailer. Roll it out to the back of the truck and pick it up from there. The bars are not light either and found out the hard way they are not interchangeable to others. You can also pick up used equalizer hitches and parts from Dan's Service Center in Elkhart. RV haulers must unload their hitches there or swap them out. We bought some extra clips for those oops moments and some equalizer grease from e-trlr for a hitch kit. A plastic HF ammo can.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
It is heavy so you might need to break it down to lift it. I keep mine on HF furniture dolly when not in use and under the trailer. Roll it out to the back of the truck and pick it up from there. The bars are not light either and found out the hard way they are not interchangeable to others. You can also pick up used equalizer hitches and parts from Dan's Service Center in Elkhart. RV haulers must unload their hitches there or swap them out. We bought some extra clips for those oops moments and some equalizer grease from e-trlr for a hitch kit. A plastic HF ammo can.
Never heard of that. Where did you get that information?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #40
RangerFred

Time for a change?

I bought my 2011-Keystone 28RLPR Bullet Premiere used and it came with a Reese Dual Cam WDH with High Performance Sway control. I think it is model RP 66074. So far, it has been competent, and I limit my highway speed to less than 65mph--always.

As it is 10 years old, are there better performing WDH with Sway Control hitches available? I am not adverse to upgrading if there is a material improvement, but tend towards "If it ain't broke--don't fix it." But.....safety ranks above cost IMHO.

Thoughts?
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control, weight distribution