Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #41
RedBull

sourdough...It's not me, It's my wife, she loves the 5th wheel feel, the tall celling makes it feel like home. TT feels claustrophobic to her. We would like to have a separate bunkroom for boys so they won't jump on our heads at the end of the day, or rainy day. We've been shopping for a camper for almost a year now and we started off TT. I understand the difference between TT and 5th wheel as far as towing goes and how those affect payload. Lastly the 5W that we may get will be much shorter vs similarly equipped TT. The length of the TT (close to 40'vs 33') may compromise space around my house a bit.
Did I mention that smaller 5W may tow better than a large TT?
RedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

You've pretty much touched on all the benefits of a 5th wheel and the downside of pin weight and weight in general.

Your wife has found the primary reason we moved to a 5th wheel; the feeling of space. We didn't really mind the more closed feeling of a TT until we started spending longer periods in it. We had been in one so long (TT) that it just seemed natural to us.

Good luck on finding a trailer that fits your needs and weight requirements. I'm hoping the perfect one is out there for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #43
RedBull

Thank you, we will figure it out for sure. At least we know what we want.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie but I've been lurking on here for a while, tons of great people and info here. I'm plaining on purchasing our first fifth wheel soon, we decided on Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS. The unit is 9,580 lb. dry and 11,500 GVWR, the pin weight is at around 1,570 lb. unloaded according to the manufacture specs. I have 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 3.73 short bed with payload 3,030 lb. We will travel with 2 adults and 2 small kids. On paper it seems like I won't have a problem pulling the Cougar if I keep the truck payload to minimum, however, I would like to hear from people who actually have some experience with towing maybe similar set up. I just want to be 100% sure before we pull the trigger.
Thanks in advance.
Load up the family and head for the nearest scales, weigh the truck with full fuel and all four family members. See where you sit with available payload remaining.
Does your 2500 have 10,000# or 9,900# GVWR? If family members are smaller in size you may loose less than 600#, leaving about 2,400# for 5er pin.
The 33’ 5er will be a far safer tow even if you are right at max payload than a 40’ TT!
Get an Andersen Ultimate hitch as it only weighs 35#.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #45
marine9007

Or try this scale instead for peace of mind PRIOR to travel: https://www.sherline.com/product/she...t-scale/#video

There is a cheaper trailer option but this is worth it.
USMC Veteran
marine9007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #46
RedBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Load up the family and head for the nearest scales, weigh the truck with full fuel and all four family members. See where you sit with available payload remaining.
Does your 2500 have 10,000# or 9,900# GVWR? If family members are smaller in size you may loose less than 600#, leaving about 2,400# for 5er pin.
The 33’ 5er will be a far safer tow even if you are right at max payload than a 40’ TT!
Get an Andersen Ultimate hitch as it only weighs 35#.
It has 10,000#GVWR, total cargo and occupants (payload) 3,029# Total weight of all 4 of us 470 lbs.
I was thinking about that Andersen hitch, I even asked about it on on some Ram forum, but someone said it is "crap" so I don't know. Is this the item you're talking about?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6471.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	32486
Old 03-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #47
rhagfo

Quote:
It has 10,000#GVWR, total cargo and occupants (payload) 3,029# Total weight of all 4 of us 470 lbs.
I was thinking about that Andersen hitch, I even asked about it on Ram HD forum, but someone said it is "crap" so I don't know. Is this the item you're talking about?Attachment 32486
That is the one, I am not a fan, but many use it and are happy, the 5er you are looking at isn’t so heavy to be an issue.
Load up the family and hit the scales get separate axle weights. As stated before I would rather see a 5er at max, than a long TT. Towing a 5er is far more stable.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #48
travelin texans

Quote:
I was thinking about that Andersen hitch, I even asked about it on Ram HD forum, but someone said it is "crap" so I don't know. Is this the item you're talking about?Attachment 32486
If buying a new 5th wheel check with the service department that will be doing the warranty work about using the Anderson hitch. There's posts on just about every rv forum concerning whether the Anderson does or does not void rv warranty so let the guys that will be taking care of yours make that decision.
The Reese Goosebox is the ONLY goose/ball type 5th wheel hitch recommended/approved by Lippert (the frame manufacturer). The GB would still add minimal weight to the truck & nothing to remove when unhitched.
Personally I could never feel comfortable towing a 10k+ lb 5th wheel with a 35lb aluminum tripod. Just my .02 cents!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

RedBull I'm sending you a PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #50
RedBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If buying a new 5th wheel check with the service department that will be doing the warranty work about using the Anderson hitch. There's posts on just about every rv forum concerning whether the Anderson does or does not void rv warranty so let the guys that will be taking care of yours make that decision.
The Reese Goosebox is the ONLY goose/ball type 5th wheel hitch recommended/approved by Lippert (the frame manufacturer). The GB would still add minimal weight to the truck & nothing to remove when unhitched.
Personally I could never feel comfortable towing a 10k+ lb 5th wheel with a 35lb aluminum tripod. Just my .02 cents!
The picture of Andersen hitch above was taken by me at Camping World which was on display along with PullRite. (Same day we put deposit on the Cougar 32BHS, but canceled the deal, thanks to this forum...) Those were their 2 hitch options they offered for sale.... So it must be certified by at least Camping World, right?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
The picture of Andersen hitch above was taken by me at Camping World which was on display along with PullRite. (Same day we put deposit on the Cougar 32BHS, but canceled the deal, thanks to this forum...) Those were their 2 hitch options they offered for sale.... So it must be certified by at least Camping World, right?

I sent you a PM but - CW will sell you the trailer (the dealer). Keystone will "administer" the warranties but all they do with things like an appliance or frame defect is become the middle man between you and the manufacturer. In this case Lippert would be the one to approve any warranty repairs via your interaction with CW.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #52
RedBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I sent you a PM but - CW will sell you the trailer (the dealer). Keystone will "administer" the warranties but all they do with things like an appliance or frame defect is become the middle man between you and the manufacturer. In this case Lippert would be the one to approve any warranty repairs via your interaction with CW.
Reply sent, thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #53
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have used an Anderson Ultimate hitch for a number of years and it works great. Someone on a RAM forum said it was "crap" so ask this guru of crap if he has actually ever owned one. I bet not.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #54
travelin texans

Quote:
CW would sell you baling wire & duct tape to haul your rv if they could make $$ on it & you'd believe the sales pitch. They have 1 goal, sell you whatever you want whether it's what you need or can haul safely.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
CW would sell you baling wire & duct tape to haul your rv if they could make $$ on it & you'd believe the sales pitch. They have 1 goal, sell you whatever you want whether it's what you need or can haul safely.

Danny that's a very broad statement, ie; brush. CW is composed of hundreds of dealerships all independently managed. Some are focused on one thing, some on another and some try to cover all the bases.

As in everything you do, everything you buy; do your homework and due diligence. KNOW what you are doing/wanting. If you depend on "someone" to guide/take care of you in anything.....you fouled up - doesn't matter if it is CW or Holiday or xyz - they're all the same given a chance and the same leadership direction.

I deal with CWs all across the country. I don't have, and haven't had all the CW horror stories....IF I paid attention and took the time, if required, to resolve the situation to MY liking. Unlike many independents that are individually owned there is a chain of command and the top wants to do things right unlike Homer sitting in the corner puffing on a cigar telling you "that's the best we can do". BTDT
Old 03-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #56
rhagfo

Quote:
Well all of this is a guessing game until you load up the family and hit the scales.
If your payload is accurate and your family weighs 470# total then you could have 3,029 - 470 = 2,559# for hitch and pin, I won’t deduct the 150# allowance for the driver, let it ride for kids growth.

I mentioned the Andersen as many with SB use to gain 4” to 8” additional cab clearance. I believe the Pull right ball hitch can be configured the same way. The best option for weight would be the Reese Goose box. I believe you stated you have the 5th wheel prep, so a goose box would only take maybe 10# from your stated payload.
So as said before load up the family and get your truck scaled full of fuel and get the real numbers so you know what payload you have left.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #57
sourdough
Site Team

I think the thought of leaving the "150 lbs. for driver" as a safety cushion, for a family with 2 small children, when maxing out the truck weights is.....not prudent. You left absolutely nothing for all the things the kids will want (and their growth) and take nor all the things, IMO, the OP needs to have in his truck to take care of "business". Maxing out weights "because you can" with a small family is dangerous IMO.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #58
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think the thought of leaving the "150 lbs. for driver" as a safety cushion, for a family with 2 small children, when maxing out the truck weights is.....not prudent. You left absolutely nothing for all the things the kids will want (and their growth) and take nor all the things, IMO, the OP needs to have in his truck to take care of "business". Maxing out weights "because you can" with a small family is dangerous IMO.
I will start out with this!
Danny, the differences between the OP's 2500 and your 3500 SRW are minor, both gas 6.4 engines, both have the same transmission, you do have 4.10's to the OP's 3.73. The biggest difference is coil vs leaf springs in the rear and the stated GVWR. Danny you live in West Texas the OP is in Indiana, fewer hills, 3,500 rpm is nothing for modern gas engines, your red line is likely 4,500 to 5,500 rpm.
I am not encouraging the OP to go over weight, but to look seriously to use all of his truck.
The OP isn't looking to tow a 14,000# 5er they are looking at 11,500#, I am guessing that max tow rating of the 6.4 with 3.73's is 12,000 to 13,000#, yes the 6.4 will work a bit in hills, but should get the job done.

The big question is WEIGHTS, yep likely to be close, based on the information so far the op has about 2,500# for pin based on current calculations.

As to the kids and their stuff, carry just the minimum of extra, and carry as much of it in the 5er as the truck only carries about 50% to 60% of that actual weight.

Danny I am in no way encouraging the OP to go over his max weights, just to use as much as needed up to the limits.

To safety, the OP's truck has the same brakes as yours, tires, they may be the same, they may lower capacity, but if the truck is within GVWR and Axle rating not an issue.

The OP's truck is rated to 100% of his numbers, likely a bit slow off the line, slow in the hills and reving to do it, but it will do it if it comes in within numbers.

As I have stated in every post, the OP needs to get to a scale, and get the real current numbers for his truck. Maybe he doesn't have 2,500# available for pin, maybe he does.

If his available payload is too small, then either smaller/lighter 5er or TT. If he has enough payload, but power is an issue, about $2,500 to $3,000 will put a set of 4.10's in the OP's current truck.

To encourage a person to go from a 5er that puts his truck near Max payload, to instead pull a long TT that might fit his numbers better, and is harder to get setup to prevent sway in my opinion is worst that being at or near Max on a 2500.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I will start out with this!
Danny, the differences between the OP's 2500 and your 3500 SRW are minor, both gas 6.4 engines, both have the same transmission, you do have 4.10's to the OP's 3.73. The biggest difference is coil vs leaf springs in the rear and the stated GVWR. Danny you live in West Texas the OP is in Indiana, fewer hills, 3,500 rpm is nothing for modern gas engines, your red line is likely 4,500 to 5,500 rpm.
I am not encouraging the OP to go over weight, but to look seriously to use all of his truck.
The OP isn't looking to tow a 14,000# 5er they are looking at 11,500#, I am guessing that max tow rating of the 6.4 with 3.73's is 12,000 to 13,000#, yes the 6.4 will work a bit in hills, but should get the job done.

The big question is WEIGHTS, yep likely to be close, based on the information so far the op has about 2,500# for pin based on current calculations.

As to the kids and their stuff, carry just the minimum of extra, and carry as much of it in the 5er as the truck only carries about 50% to 60% of that actual weight.

Danny I am in no way encouraging the OP to go over his max weights, just to use as much as needed up to the limits.

To safety, the OP's truck has the same brakes as yours, tires, they may be the same, they may lower capacity, but if the truck is within GVWR and Axle rating not an issue.

The OP's truck is rated to 100% of his numbers, likely a bit slow off the line, slow in the hills and reving to do it, but it will do it if it comes in within numbers.

As I have stated in every post, the OP needs to get to a scale, and get the real current numbers for his truck. Maybe he doesn't have 2,500# available for pin, maybe he does.

If his available payload is too small, then either smaller/lighter 5er or TT. If he has enough payload, but power is an issue, about $2,500 to $3,000 will put a set of 4.10's in the OP's current truck.

To encourage a person to go from a 5er that puts his truck near Max payload, to instead pull a long TT that might fit his numbers better, and is harder to get setup to prevent sway in my opinion is worst that being at or near Max on a 2500.

The question, or even conversation, is not about my truck vs his...at all. The question, as you said, is weights. Advocating that one should use "all" his weight allowance right now ..."because", flies in the face of reason when you have a small, growing family. To then say to "get by" just carry the minimum of stuff so you can get by with the kids? Who wants to take their kids camping in that manner, knowing that you started out on the edge and then it just gets worse? With little kids SAFETY is the watchword....not "take it to the limits" or "see what you can get by with".

As far as the trucks, I've owned all of them (non diesel) and know/understand what they do and don't with the various trannys and ratios - not guessing. Along with that, a well equipped HD truck equipped properly will tow a 38' TT (my last one) with no more drama than I tow my 38'? 5th wheel. Done it with both. Safety and being conservative are GOOD things; not push it to the limit and "peg the meter" on max weights.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:50 AM   #60
notanlines

Quote:
Danny, our experience has been just the opposite of what you said. Our Raptor came from the CW in Ocala, Florida and the sales manager walked us out to our F350 to see if they could sell it to us. Absolutely professional from start to finish.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing