Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
What does "normal speed of traffic" mean. i.e. if the posted speed LIMIT is 60 mph does that mean that it is ok to follow the fellow ahead of me who is doing 80 mph because both of us and the ten guys doing the same behind us are now setting the "normal speed of traffic". is Speed LIMIT a requirement of is it only a suggestion?
In many (maybe in most) states, that's exactly what it means:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

Here's a link to a list of "all state laws" that might shed some light on the topic: https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
IMO
2 lane road, right lane as much as possible. The person in a car doesn't care how much you spent on a rig. Most are just trying to keep it together without going postal, you might want to avoid them going postal on you.

3 lanes or more, middle or second lane. Less potholes, less lane gullying from large trucks, less merging traffic.
Keep that rearview camera on, it's better than mirrors.

Stay off of 69 heading west of Port Huron (Pssst I find that Michiganders, and Massachusetters drive like Ontarians - I try to get out of my crappy province and go around that state I mentioned)
Be cool, you're on vacation.
Just after the mandatory 55MPH "national speed limit" was lifted, Michigan went back to 70MPH on interstates. Most drivers drove 80.... Then about 7 or 8 years ago, that was increased to 75MPH. Now most drivers drive between 85 and 90. Secondary, two lane roads were 55MPH. Most drove 60-65. When that was increased to 65MPH, most drivers are going 70-75. Even then, with the exception of the Roscommon County Sherriff's Department, LEO's will typically flash their lights as they pass you doing "faster than the normal traffic flow"... In Roscommon County, 76 will give you the opportunity to "donate to the County Retirement Fund"... Most other places, if you're in the left lane doing 65 or 70, towing a trailer, you're likely to either get run over or blown off the left side of the highway as people driving 90+ pass you, "angrily blowing their horn" from the right lane....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
My 2 cents: FIRST: I spend time and moneys makings sure that our tow vehicle matches what I'm towing. My ultimate goal is safety, properly matched combo should ensure that you are able to safely run at the posted speed limit, that being said, towing 10,000 +lbs should, in my mind, be kept under 65 mph. Side bar: if the posted speed limit is in the higher range (70+) then you are surely on a multiple lane road leaving multiple left lanes for passing. SECONDLY: Equally as important is a proper hitch combo... safety is not the time to go cheap. THIRD: I find that driving in the right lane (on a multiple lane road) causes some problems i.e. i) you have to constantly proactively react to speeding merging cars (no one wants to be behind an RV or Bus) so they race you to the merge ii) you also have to deal with slowing traffic for vehicles wanting to take exit ramps iii) you also have to deal with slow moving vehicles driving below the speed limit, sometimes commercial vehicles or simply Sunday drivers. CONCLUSION: For these reasons I try to stay within the speed limit in the second lane while watching for "weavers" in in the right lane. And like others who have posted my primary concern is safety for all.

The OP specifically referenced a road with "2 lanes" not multiple (3 or more) lanes. If 3 or more it is advantageous to get out of the right lane but don't move to the "passing/fast" lane.

As far as 70+ speed limit surely being a multiple laned road....not so much. In TX the prevailing speed limit for most highways is 75mph - 2 lane (one each direction), 4 lane, 6 lane - unless you get lucky and find an interstate with 80mph...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #24
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The OP specifically referenced a road with "2 lanes" not multiple (3 or more) lanes. If 3 or more it is advantageous to get out of the right lane but don't move to the "passing/fast" lane.

As far as 70+ speed limit surely being a multiple laned road....not so much. In TX the prevailing speed limit for most highways is 75mph - 2 lane (one each direction), 4 lane, 6 lane - unless you get lucky and find an interstate with 80mph...
Daily commutes from Barrie to Toronto (until the screeching halt just above the city limits due to congestion) is 140 km's (86 mph) in a 100 km (60 mph) zone is the norm. 130 in snow, 120 in fog
The thing I like about Massachusetts is they love their bumper stickers, makes for fun reading or warnings to tailgaters .

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #25
notanlines

I don't believe we ar going to change any minds here I don't want to be 'that guy' hanging in the left land at 62 because there are bumps in the right lane. Other drivers don't care what you spent, stay in the lane where you can run the proper speed and don't start any road rage incidents. Your travels will have a happier ending.

At what point can we just start using 2020 as profanity? As in: “That’s a load of 2020.” or “What in the 2020.” or “abso-2020-lutely.”
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

At what point can we just start using 2020 as profanity? As in: “That’s a load of 2020.” or “What in the 2020.” or “abso-2020-lutely.”

^^^^ In all seriousness, I'm already there; just hope we don't have to figure out how to incorporate 2021 as well.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I don't believe we ar going to change any minds here I don't want to be 'that guy' hanging in the left land at 62 because there are bumps in the right lane. Other drivers don't care what you spent, stay in the lane where you can run the proper speed and don't start any road rage incidents. Your travels will have a happier ending.

I started doing that around June of 2020!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #28
jasin1

Well for the record I mostly stay in the right lane of a two lane highway....in the middle on 3 lane...I was asking because I wanted to make sure My thinking was the correct one...some stretches through North Carolina had particularly bad right lanes...with all the talk on here about tire blowouts I was getting paranoid..and believe me I’m not the kind of person to deliberately park in the left lane whether towing or not...I’ve only had to get in the left lanes a few times and moved right back over ASAP ...I wanted to be sure I wasn’t being foolish driving on the poorer quality lane
Old 03-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

jasin I wouldn't stress out about it. Make sure you have good, fresh tires. Keep them aired up properly, don't overload and check them while you are traveling - I use a TPMS, IR heat gun, hand and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. "Stuff" happens when driving but trying to stay safe, in the proper lane and not causing someone to flip out is FAR better than worrying about if the right lane might have some bumps.

As far as keeping an eye on those tires....a few years back I was getting ready to head out - day before departure on Sunday. Trailer was ready and doing a walk around on the truck checking it all out along with the tires. As I did a visual on the tires I thought I saw a crack or something in the sidewall. Upon closer inspection there was a sizeable slice in it. Had to go to another town on Sunday to get a replacement. All that only to illustrate that it is important to use all measures and pay attention when you are traveling...or about to - you just don't know what might happen.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
jasin I wouldn't stress out about it. Make sure you have good, fresh tires. Keep them aired up properly, don't overload and check them while you are traveling - I use a TPMS, IR heat gun, hand and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. "Stuff" happens when driving but trying to stay safe, in the proper lane and not causing someone to flip out is FAR better than worrying about if the right lane might have some bumps.

As far as keeping an eye on those tires....a few years back I was getting ready to head out - day before departure on Sunday. Trailer was ready and doing a walk around on the truck checking it all out along with the tires. As I did a visual on the tires I thought I saw a crack or something in the sidewall. Upon closer inspection there was a sizeable slice in it. Had to go to another town on Sunday to get a replacement. All that only to illustrate that it is important to use all measures and pay attention when you are traveling...or about to - you just don't know what might happen.
Good idea on the visual ....I have a tpms and a nice viaire compressor....basic walkthroughs at the start of each day is a good habit to form
Old 03-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #31
Jim2366

We just got back home from a two week trip and pulled the RV 1500 miles. The roads were rough on some of the highway. In the city's and metro areas with three lanes I stayed in the middle lane. This allows vehicles to merge on and get off the highway on the right lane, and allows faster drivers to pass me on the left. On the two lane highway I stay on the right except to move over if a car or truck in on the shoulder or to occasionally pass. I like to be as polite as possible and drive safe. I have had my Ram truck now over a year and it is awesome to drive.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:32 AM   #32
jasin1

Yep ..think I’m sticking with the right lane ..30 days in jail..https://www.live5news.com/2021/03/06...-lane-drivers/
Old 03-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #33
Frisbeekev

I tend to stay in the right lane at about 65mph or less. I do shift to the left to pass someone or of someone is merging and clearly i will ne in their way or its a truck. Also i move for emergency vehicles. If the lane is bad enough to beat me up i move left until speedracer is up on me then i move over....or try unless speedracer gets mad and sees my signal but cuts to the right lane to get around me.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #34
Jim2366

I travel most of the time on the interstate at 70 miles per hour. The only difference from 65 to 70 a few mile per gallon. If I am on a highway with a lot of hills and curves then I drop down to a lower speed.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #35
Big1

I don't get in the fast lane when I'm towing, in a three lane highway I try to stay in the middle most of the time but when I see the 18 wheel coming up behind me I will get over in the other lane and let them pass me.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #36
wwian

I try to follow the "65 to stay alive" jingle. I also travel in the center lane as much as I can. That way I let the left lane be for faster folks. And the right lane can be for all the people merging onto the highway. I tried staying in the far right lane, only to find that I was having to slam on the brakes because of idiots who don't know the merge right-of-way rules.
wwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #37
Uncle Dougie

It's not just about me

Sorry Dutchman but your reply "it's about me" goes against the whole concept of RVing. An RV is about relaxing, making new new friends in new places and of course work. I have found if you arrive too stressed from the drive your first impression is not the best. I agree with others that the left lane is ok, although illegal, to use as long as you are not impeding others, keep an eye on the mirror and first sign of upcoming traffic move to the right lane. Consideration goes both ways.
Uncle Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #38
formyfelinebabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The statement in RED can really get you in trouble! First of all, most interstates now have 70 mph speed limits, that and hanging in the left lane not passing is also a against the law in most states.
I usually stay out of threads like this but I can’t help myself this time.

I agree wholeheartedly with the reply to the selfish hypocrite quoted in red.

Do you know WHY the world has gone to pot and people are awful? Because of those people that have the ME mentality, the selfish, narcissistic masses that threw gentility and manners away and pushed themselves to the forefront as if only they matter.
The same one picking and choosing which rules / laws they will follow while condemning those that don’t do as they do.
What happened to common sense? If you are not blocking others there is nothing wrong with taking the better lane BUT that is not your right any more than causing problems for others.

JUST BE KIND
formyfelinebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #39
RVBuff

I-95 in SC

We occasionally drive on I95 north of Florence, SC, and have no complaints about traffic or the quality of the road. As to lane choice, it's not the sort of thing I would spend a lot of time planning ahead for. My main consideration is being in the proper lane to make the next exit (usually the right lane) and--for me--it's easier to stay right and merge left if I need to make a quick lane change because my sight lines behind me are better on the left side.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #40
tjhoosier

Normal Speed of traffic

Quote:
What does "normal speed of traffic" mean. i.e. if the posted speed LIMIT is 60 mph does that mean that it is ok to follow the fellow ahead of me who is doing 80 mph because both of us and the ten guys doing the same behind us are now setting the "normal speed of traffic". is Speed LIMIT a requirement of is it only a suggestion?
In Indiana, it means what ever the speed is of the traffic flow. Even if everyone in the left lane is running over the speed limit. In other words, if you're holding up traffic by running 60 in a 60 zone, you're in violation of the law. Move over and drive with courtesy. Not nearly enough of that going on these days.
tjhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote