Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Red14

Camping in The Rain

So we are entering our second season as campers in our TT and the first trip planned next week has rain the forecast. I’m skeptical but also kind of optimistic on it still being a fun trip. Our trailer is a smaller 22 ft and no TV (Wanted to keep the kids kids if you will). Just looking for fun ideas for camping in the rain with the family or ideas that anyone has.
Red14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Lots of card and board games.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Cbrez

We brought a puzzle I received from my brother at Christmas. It’s a 1000 piece picture of a hot air balloon festival at dawn (DW and I took a hot air balloon ride in Colorado last summer so this is my brother’s idea of payback). Ages 14+, but I’m probably way older than the manufacturer anticipated

Hasn’t rained enough in February to break it out. This might be the week. We have a hard time getting started, then can’t walk away.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Hankster

Depends on the temperature, if you're in Florida it might be just as wet as you would be without rain.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red14 View Post
So we are entering our second season as campers in our TT and the first trip planned next week has rain the forecast. I’m skeptical but also kind of optimistic on it still being a fun trip. Our trailer is a smaller 22 ft and no TV (Wanted to keep the kids kids if you will). Just looking for fun ideas for camping in the rain with the family or ideas that anyone has.
Bring raincoats and get out there and hike,go sightseeing, maybe take the kids to a book store and get a extra popup canopy and enjoy the time ....raining or not.
It rained here in Florida and my wife and I went into town and shopped and had a great lunch..then went to some antique stores......yesterday we were on the beach .... Have to take the good with the bad and make the most of it

I think some areas of the pacific northwest it rains frequently...I’m sure most of those people still get out and have fun..raining or not
Old 03-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Rainy days are a great time for the "When I was your age, we walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways" kind of stories... Not necessarily the "embellished ones" but rather the, "know your roots" kind of stories. Things that kids seldom forget, even though they probably won't ever mention it again, until they're in their 30's or 40's and they "shock hell out of you" by recalling, "Dad, do you remember when we had that green trailer and we were in the mountains and you told us about your grandpa and his white shirt? You know, when you used to fight not to have to sit behind him because he spit tobacco juice out the window??? Do you remember that? ".... It's surprising or maybe even amazing that after 40 years, a 7 year old remembers something like that.... Or the time they walked into the kitchen on Christmas Eve, just as you were rolling their bike into the living room and you thought they didn't see???

Rainy days are great times to pass on the stories your Dad or Grandpa told you when you were their age... Even if they don't seem to be listening, in 40 years, you'll be surprised what they bring up in conversations.....

An hour spent, "just talking" to a 7 or 8 year old, engaging them to talk to you as well.... Cherished moments in family life that will be remembered for a lifetime. Don't waste those rainy days. Quite often they are the highlight of an otherwise "unremarkable weekend"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #7
Red14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Rainy days are a great time for the "When I was your age, we walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways" kind of stories... Not necessarily the "embellished ones" but rather the, "know your roots" kind of stories. Things that kids seldom forget, even though they probably won't ever mention it again, until they're in their 30's or 40's and they "shock hell out of you" by recalling, "Dad, do you remember when we had that green trailer and we were in the mountains and you told us about your grandpa and his white shirt? You know, when you used to fight not to have to sit behind him because he spit tobacco juice out the window??? Do you remember that? ".... It's surprising or maybe even amazing that after 40 years, a 7 year old remembers something like that.... Or the time they walked into the kitchen on Christmas Eve, just as you were rolling their bike into the living room and you thought they didn't see???

Rainy days are great times to pass on the stories your Dad or Grandpa told you when you were their age... Even if they don't seem to be listening, in 40 years, you'll be surprised what they bring up in conversations.....

An hour spent, "just talking" to a 7 or 8 year old, engaging them to talk to you as well.... Cherished moments in family life that will be remembered for a lifetime. Don't waste those rainy days. Quite often they are the highlight of an otherwise "unremarkable weekend"....
Love that! We are in southern CA so of course the one time it rains in March I have a trip planned hahaha
Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Keep the optimism. Rain is a downer if you let it/want it to be that way. I think some of the most serene, magical times I've had in the woods was in a drizzle. Now a frog strangler? Just batten down the hatches - it won't last long.

Some keys have been mentioned. Off the top of my head;

If you have an outside enclosure take/use it. If it's just an awning with legs it will get you out of the rain and out of the trailer. If you don't have one I would encourage you to look into getting one. If you are going to be camping out, with the kids, they can sure be handy in inclement weather. We now carry 2; one 12x12 and the other 6x6. The larger is 6 sided with mesh sides and wind/rain screens, the smaller is 6x6 and 4 sided. EXTREMELY handy whether for sun or rain. They are Clam enclosures; extremely easy to pop up and pull down.

Make sure you have the "rain" equipment so that all can enjoy being in the rain. The right clothes, footwear...even socks make a difference. For kids being comfortable will keep them happier. Used to be GoreTex was the go to for waterproof but there are many similar products now.

For me a nice rain is a great time for a hike. If you like watching wildlife it makes an excellent cover for your noise as you move about.

Don't know the age of the kids but card games used to be fun with us 40 or so years ago. Go Fish, Old Maid and there a several more out there that kids like....and cards don't take up much room.

Keep something by the door to hold dirty shoes like an smaller trash can. Everyone can remove shoes and not track up the camper. In the same place I would put some hand towels to dry off.

Some sort of door mat/entry rug to clean off shoes is handy. I carry 2 plus one of the brush scrubbers mounted on a length of 2x8. Hopefully you can deploy the awning to help with getting things cleaned up before entering.

Just some random thoughts. Remember it's a mindset; it is what you make it and a preconceived notion that it's all going to be miserable will assure that it is - and the kids will pick up on that easily.

Wishing you luck and hope you all have a blast! Let us know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Canonman

Quote:
Rain is an inconvenience but not a reason to avoid getting out and enjoying your travel and camping experience. A 22' trailer with kids is going to get real tight, real soon. Invest in some rain coats and go do the things you went camping to do. We create a "mud room" space (it can be really small) where we keep the outdoor shoes and wet gear to minimize the mess and clean up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7982.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	32251  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Are you staying in a campground or boondocking? Most cgs have some sort of "game room", or hall they use for bingo. Many cgs and state parks will have a Pavilion with tables that will provide some "elbow room" and a change of scenery. You can take the kids to one of those spaces to play games, read a story, have the kids put on a "show" for you etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

I was going to suggest buying some Gorilla brand duct tape but I guess they now have laws on the books to limit that alternative. I do think the "get a good mat to wipe shoes" is a good idea and perhaps a mop as kids will want to go out regardless of a little rain. If you have an awning, fashion something to hold wet coats, etc. so when they come in you don't have to try and stash them in a little trailer as you will have pools on the floor. Not sure a little boy can be entertained long with puzzles; they like to get out and get wet and muddy!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #12
Weldon

My kids are 7 and 9. When it rains, they love Uno, puzzles, games (candy land, shoots and ladders, operation, etc). I bought a fold-up 4' table that fits behind our pull-out sofa/bed, so it stores well and can be pulled outside for games under the awning. I also use it to grill on since half of the table is wire and the other half is plastic. My son is an artist, so he draws. My daughter is a sculptor, so she plays with clay (the dry kind). I also have a hot spot, but I try to make them stay off the internet or tv 99% of the time. We normally try to take the museum tours or drive to educational spots on rainy days. As a last resort, they can sit under the awning and listed to audio books. I'd rather camp in the rain that be at home in the rain any day.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge;436994[B
]I was going to suggest buying some Gorilla brand duct tape but I guess they now have laws on the books to limit that alternative.[/B] I do think the "get a good mat to wipe shoes" is a good idea and perhaps a mop as kids will want to go out regardless of a little rain. If you have an awning, fashion something to hold wet coats, etc. so when they come in you don't have to try and stash them in a little trailer as you will have pools on the floor. Not sure a little boy can be entertained long with puzzles; they like to get out and get wet and muddy!
As long as they wear a mask who would know? Said in jest obviously. There are lots of "crafts" that can entertain little ones from painting to building with popsicle sticks. Obviously I'd recommend conducting the paint/glue type activities to a picnic table covered with a disposable tablecloth or paper and old cloths. Our grandchildren (girls and boys) love doing those things with the DW.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #14
Stevensmith2859

Quote:
To me, sitting under the awning with a drink in hand and tunes on the radio is one of the most relaxing things I can do. I don't hate camping in the rain. Now, if my wife, daughter, and I were tenters......wellllllllllll that might be different!

2020 Nights Camped: 18
2021 Nights Camped: 31
2022 Nights Camped (So Far) :27 with 6 more on the books!
Stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
GMH

If you’re staying inside…cards and board games. Maybe get a book of card games so the same game doesn’t get boring. If you’re going out in it…good footwear, rain suits or umbrellas. Last time out we got 6” of rain! It poured for 2-1/2 hours steady and we got pea-sized hail also. We decided to stay in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E35520F8-A4F2-48AC-B85F-703409A03BCB.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	34918   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF1D3C5C-7136-4EFE-B4AA-438CB4CF550C.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	34919  
Old 07-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

The OP hasn't logged on since 6/3/21. Hopefully they didn't get washed away!
Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #17
dutchmensport

Ah, the thread might be old and the OP is now long past his rainy trip, but why not keep the discussion going.

Our kids are all grown, but our son and grandson (8 years old) live with us, and about twice a year we plan a trip together. We've never let rain stop us or slow us down. Other than building a campfire, we still do pretty much everything, same as with gorgeous sunshine.

Actually, we are teaching the grandson to appreciate the rain, the storms, the gloomy weather, and to function in spite of non-pristine sunshine weather. The hardest thing we face with the grandson is to keep him inside the camper when it rains. Oh, its not so much we want him out of the rain. No, that's not the problem. He wants to run out side butt naked and play in the rain!

We live in the country and at home, he can do that, who cares. No one around to see or be upset. He loves splashing in the puddles of water that pool in the yard, (and we have a couple large ones that form too).

I think the difference between us and the OP on this thread is the fact we are all electronically minded people. My wife and I both work in Information Technology, our son a software developer, and our grandson teethed on a child's play iPad. Technology, computers, iPhones, iPads, are all part of our world, and when it rains, these things help occupy down time. It's just a part of our lives.

Now, when my wife and I are alone, and it rains .... well .... that "snuggle time!" Nothing like the pitter-patter of rain drops on the roof of the camper to set a romantic mood!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #18
notanlines

“He wants to run out side butt naked and play in the rain!“
Dutch, you say that like it’s a bad thing!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
Scttw

Pretend you are Gene Kelly >>>>

https://youtu.be/D1ZYhVpdXbQ
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #20
Red14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The OP hasn't logged on since 6/3/21. Hopefully they didn't get washed away!

OP still here hahaha I told you I lived in Southern California so basically impossible to be washed away. This trip actually turned out really nice. A few strong cells came over us with some hail but it didn’t last very long. We walked along the bike paths and the ocean jumping in puddles and just enjoying the sounds of the heavy rainfall. I appreciate everyone’s input. Can’t tell you how much I’ve learned from this community online here. Hope everyone’s doing well. On to the sunny and hot summer camp trips now. Already taken a few and even busted my clavicle on one of our last trips. Turns out the kids and wife learned a lot more about the behind the scenes of camping since I couldn’t do it all 1 handed hahaha