Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
linux3

Bryan Tx

Middle of April we want to go from Henrietta NY to Bryan TX.
Our Grandson lives in Bryan TX. OK, our son and daughter-in-law too but w have our priorities.

Middle April will still be cold in the NorthEast so we need to head south fast.
We are in no rush and plan to spend at least a week on the road. I like US routes rather than Interstates.

Is there any kind of route planner for US routes rather than Interstates?

As you can see I'm pulling <5k lbs but I'm and old guy and really don't like pulling for more than 4 ~ 5 hours a day and really are in no rush.

Any comments?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Our Grandson lives in Bryan TX. OK, our son and daughter-in-law too but w have our priorities.

We are in no rush and plan to spend at least a week on the road. I like US routes rather than Interstates.

As you can see I'm pulling <5k lbs but I'm and old guy and really don't like pulling for more than 4 ~ 5 hours a day and really are in no rush.

Any comments?
I have a garmin rv gps for height concerns..I’m not sure if there is a way to skip interstates but I imagine there is a filter for that.
You can get rv trip wizard and lay out your entire route manually that way also I believe
Old 01-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
jasin1

Check out CWtheMan threads .”.meandering the USA” and “pictures from the front seat” he describes a similar style of travel I think
Old 01-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Any comments?
You might want to avoid IH10 & IH20 through Louisiana (really poor roads). I like to drive secondary highways and avoid big cities. If you use a GPS, keep in mind they are stupid and will sometimes send you on routes you really can't figure. Last time we came back from Colorado, my GPS kept trying to take us hundreds of miles out of the way through New Mexico.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Rob the way I do things is probably archaic but I pull up the route on google maps (or mapquest) avoiding interstates if that's what you want to do. I then study that route, usually for days, to study and look into places of interest. Then I investigate those places. DW and I sit down and talk about which of them sounds the most interesting then pick a route to include them. Then, I start looking for RV parks, review all those, pick what we want then call and make reservations.

Some folks enjoy taking off and going on the fly and let the chips fall where they will; I'm not like that. Used to be but now I like to know what's on the other end - suspense and drama aren't appealing to me any longer. We enjoy the planning, reading about all the places and making our final plans.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I know you prefer to avoid interstate highways, but travel in the northeast in April can mean "clear sailing" or it can just as easily mean "OMG, we're in a blizzard"...

The priority for clearing roads, at least around here is interstates first, major highways second and other "scenic routes" last. So, depending on the weather, you may wind up either on the interstate or staying home.

When we leave Michigan in February, we plan to stay in motels the first night or two, until we're clear of the extremely cold weather. Some years, we can "dry camp in the trailer" and other years, we've been stranded at a Day's Inn until the storm passes. I wouldn't want to have been stranded in the trailer in that kind of weather and nearly every campground is closed, so it's relying on battery power to run the furnace and when stranded for 2 or 3 days, that can get "dicey"...

If I were you, with your limit of 4 or 5 hours (200 miles or so) daily, I'd plan a "warm place to crash" with unlimited heat and leave the trailer winterized until you're pretty much out of New England. Then, a day spent in a campground "de-winterizing and shopping" will get your "RV part of the trip underway"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #7
gearhead

I just Google mapped it and they're showing 24 hours of driving on interstates. What I saw didn't show any major metropolitan areas that would scare me off, but I've never been to Cleveland Ohio. How bad could that be?
I would look at US highways that basically parallel the Interstates. It's gonna take awhile though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I just Google mapped it and they're showing 24 hours of driving on interstates. What I saw didn't show any major metropolitan areas that would scare me off, but I've never been to Cleveland Ohio. How bad could that be?
I would look at US highways that basically parallel the Interstates. It's gonna take awhile though.
We've taken I-271 around Cleveland many times and it's pretty easy travel. There is an express lane.
Columbus is not bad and Cinci is a pain but doable.
The issue is it's a long drive and interstates are really boring.
Usually US routes have interesting things to see.

The Y bridge in Zanesville Ohio.
Disney Museum in Marceline, Missouri
Jesse James Farm Kearney, MO
And the list goes on and on.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
Ibdagriz

Quote:
We've taken I-271 around Cleveland many times and it's pretty easy travel. There is an express lane.
Columbus is not bad and Cinci is a pain but doable.
The issue is it's a long drive and interstates are really boring.
Usually US routes have interesting things to see.
32 hours and 1580 miles according to google maps using no highways/tolls/ferries.

Looks interesting..

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Maybe it's just me but I find the interstate highways to be the easiest to tow on. Now I agree to avoid the congested metropolitan areas during rush hour but good planning can avoid that. But having passing lanes available makes it easy for traffic to get around me. Or maybe things are just different in the southwest. Enjoy your trip to Bryan/College Station. Beautiful country there.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
gearhead

I have a tendency to use interstates mostly because of ease of getting fuel. Trying to get a 13ft plus tall 5th wheel into Bobs gas station in Toadsuck Ky is stressful when you are about out of diesel. Looks like you have a travel trailer so you should have an easier time of it.
Be looking at how you are going to get through or around the Dallas/Ft Worth area. It's a beast.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #12
Life-in-Him

One old guy to another

L3
I've been wondering the same, how to get from A to B, wherever they are w/o Interstates.

We use the 2x2x2 method w/some changes.

2 hrs, 200 miles, 2 days before moving on. Yet things happen, like 97 yr old dad dies of C-19.
With 23k miles in 10 months we've seen a lot of non-I roads.

Takes some luck to not find that 'low bridge' or 'narrow road ahead' sign.

Some things we do is "always" do it in daylight. "never go into the sun", & watch what is coming towards you.

If there are semi's or tall 5rs coming you're less likely to have low bridges, sharp turns, or narrow roads ahead.

As others have said, a night or several in motels letting the blizzards pass is warmth well needed. You might even get a socket to plug in for an extra buck or so.

Find that high-school friend from 60 years ago & enjoy a cup or 2 in their driveway.

Planning is less than reliable from what we've discovered especially when it's 5° & windchill of -35° where we are today.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
linux3

Quote:
I have a tendency to use interstates mostly because of ease of getting fuel. Trying to get a 13ft plus tall 5th wheel into Bobs gas station in Toadsuck Ky is stressful when you are about out of diesel. Looks like you have a travel trailer so you should have an easier time of it.
Be looking at how you are going to get through or around the Dallas/Ft Worth area. It's a beast.
But we have a 20' TT.
Major reason we have a small TT is so we can get around and see what there is to see.
We were all set to upgrade to a 2500HD and a 5th wheel but ditched the plan because planning ahead just isn't our style.
I've parallel parked in Zanesville OH, Staunton VA, Marceline MO, Bolder CO and many other places.
We've traveled through Abingdon VA to bike the Virginia Creeper Trail, BTW Don't! The Lincoln Home in Springfield IL has limited RV parking but first you have to get there through downtown Springfield. No problem.
The Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum in Hannibal, MO is great fun and I parked, with RV, 2 streets over.

So, what I'm trying to say is I guess our styles of travel differ.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Rob I think what makes a person happy when it comes to camping is the ticket. A smaller trailer absolutely opens a lot of possibilities that a large 5th wheel takes away as far as parking etc.

If you do go through the DFW metroplex (it looked like it was out of the way for you but...) do some good planning and have some sort of nav system. Depending on what route/highways you take you can be forced to enter an exit, come in on one side of a freeway and your next exit, on the other side of 6 lanes of packed cars, is on the other side. Be sure and avoid 7:30am-9am and 4-6pm if at all possible. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-10-2021, 06:24 AM   #15
linux3

[QUOTE=sourdough;433645
If you do go through the DFW metroplex (it looked like it was out of the way for you but...) do some good planning and have some sort of nav system. Depending on what route/highways you take you can be forced to enter an exit, come in on one side of a freeway and your next exit, on the other side of 6 lanes of packed cars, is on the other side. Good luck and have fun![/QUOTE]

Thanks. We've been to DFW.
When we went to Fort Sill for the younger son's boot camp graduation we flew into DFW because you can't get to Lawton OK from here. We then stayed in Dallas for a few days.

Our plan is to leave our TT at our older son's house and spend a couple of days wandering around Austin.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

You'll have fun in Austin I believe. Be sure and look around the areas near, but outside of Austin; lots of neat places to go, see and EAT!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Rob I think what makes a person happy when it comes to camping is the ticket. A smaller trailer absolutely opens a lot of possibilities that a large 5th wheel takes away as far as parking etc.

If you do go through the DFW metroplex (it looked like it was out of the way for you but...) do some good planning and have some sort of nav system. Depending on what route/highways you take you can be forced to enter an exit, come in on one side of a freeway and your next exit, on the other side of 6 lanes of packed cars, is on the other side. Be sure and avoid 7:30am-9am and 4-6pm for if at all possible. Good luck and have fun!
Sounds like the 287 interchange in downtown Ft Worth. Enter on the right, exit immediately to the left. Assuming it's the same as several years ago. We almost lost a stock trailer with Norman the mule there one night. On the way to Colorado , camping with elk rifles.
May as well check out Franklins BBQ in Austin while you're down here. Several others as well. Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz in Lockhart, City Market in Luling.
Fredericksburg for shopping and eating German food.
James Avery Silversmith in Harper.
It's not but 3 1/2 hours from Bryan. You've come this far...
Old 02-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #18
linux3

Quote:
May as well check out Franklins BBQ in Austin while you're down here. Several others as well. Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz in Lockhart, City Market in Luling.
Fredericksburg for shopping and eating German food.
James Avery Silversmith in Harper.
It's not but 3 1/2 hours from Bryan. You've come this far...
I grew up on German food but......
The ugly situation is my wife is a vegetarian and I'm an omnivor.
So, we need to find BBQ joints that also have good vegie stuff.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #19
Ibdagriz

Quote:
So, we need to find BBQ joints that also have good vegie stuff.
Blasphemy!!

LOL.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #20
notanlines

Rob, when Momma lays down for a little nap, sneak on out for a visit to Franklin's. Their brisket simply can't be beat. And stick with beef, Memphis does pig. Honestly, don't even think abut bringing Momma, it wouldn't be pretty.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote