Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Been thinking about TPMS

Never had one. Googled TPMS and saw that none seemed to need to remove the tires from your trailer. Am I wrong? Next, saw prices from $35 to $435. I don't want to look at a telephone when driving and would like to be alerted to an issue with a noise then look at something to tell me what. Does that make sense? What are the best options for a TPMS that is reliable and figure since I am going to ask Santa, can't break the budget.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Never had one. Googled TPMS and saw that none seemed to need to remove the tires from your trailer. Am I wrong? Next, saw prices from $35 to $435. I don't want to look at a telephone when driving and would like to be alerted to an issue with a noise then look at something to tell me what. Does that make sense? What are the best options for a TPMS that is reliable and figure since I am going to ask Santa, can't break the budget.
I have the eeze tpms. I bought the ones that screw on and you have to remove if you add air. You can purchase extra sensors for your spare tire and if tour TV doesn’t have tpms you can get them also. It was expensive, over $450 but well worth it when I had a flat few weeks ago
Old 11-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I have the eeze tpms. I bought the ones that screw on and you have to remove if you add air. You can purchase extra sensors for your spare tire and if tour TV doesn’t have tpms you can get them also. It was expensive, over $450 but well worth it when I had a flat few weeks ago
And my screen is black and white but works good. It cycles through all the tires with pressures and temps and believe me the alarm works great when there is a tire losing air. I can just glance at it as I’m driving along and it’s reassuring then check all the mirrors and just get in a groove
Old 11-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

We have the TST and the main reason for the choice is that it does not need to be moving for a reading. Your rig could be monitored 24/7 as the display goes to sleep after no movement but if a tire is going low it will wake up and sound an alarm if it gets outside the parameters you set. If you want you can watch how much the pressure goes down as the temps drop. I also use it as an outdoor thermometer in the morning before taking the furry kids out as it indicates temps also. Battery life is about 14 months on the sensors so yearly changing will keep it going. Two and a half years and flawless. Woke me up about 2 am one morning for a low pressure and it was a nail in one tire dropping the pressure. Turned off the alarm and put in a Safety Seal plug in the morning.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
tech740

I have the TireMinder I10. No tire removal and it has a display that is easy to see.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
travelin texans

TST 507, used it on all 10 tires on the dually & 5th wheel. The batteries are user changeable, no booster needed, with great customer service & has it's own monitor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

TST 507 here George. Screw on caps; color monitor; repeater; constant monitoring of temp/pressure. I've never had a battery go dead in about 5 years but I have replaced them once (maybe twice?? ). Towed for decades without one and never gave it a minutes thought then we had the blowout that zapped us for 7k. Now, between it and upgraded tires they take lots of worry out of my brain.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #8
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
We have the TST and the main reason for the choice is that it does not need to be moving for a reading. Your rig could be monitored 24/7 as the display goes to sleep after no movement but if a tire is going low it will wake up and sound an alarm if it gets outside the parameters you set...
George, I'll second this comment. We also use the TST-507 with flow through sensors. For us, the most important feature for any TPMS is the ability to monitor while sitting! Some systems have to actually be moving (rotating) to turn on the sensors. With those systems, you could actually leave camp with a low tire and not know it until you are on the go. So get a TPMS system that will warn you of a problem BEFORE you have to leave. JMHO>
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
TST 507 here George. Screw on caps; color monitor; repeater; constant monitoring of temp/pressure. I've never had a battery go dead in about 5 years but I have replaced them once (maybe twice?? ). Towed for decades without one and never gave it a minutes thought then we had the blowout that zapped us for 7k. Now, between it and upgraded tires they take lots of worry out of my brain.
I got a question on the screw-on caps..

Do they require wrenches to remove them when adjusting the air pressure in the tire.. ???
Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Do they require wrenches to remove them when adjusting the air pressure in the tire.. ???
Your choice on two types: 1) Screw on type that must be removed to change air pressure, smaller, lighter (can be used on rubber valve stems???) or 2) Flow through type, installed with wrench for theft protection, can change air without removal, a bit heavier & require steel valve stems.

We like the Flow through type, but yes, they do stick out a bit but not my much (see 2nd photo).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	30910

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	30911
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Most of them have a set screw that makes them "theft resistant" but it's not necessary to use it. I've had mine for years, never tightened the set screw, never had one stolen but I remove them during winter storage and replace with a rubber valve stem cap.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:

Mine has a little wrench. If you have the non flow through type you have to overinflate by a lb to allow for air escaping as you screw on sensor after filling with air. It’s less of a pain then it seems. I just wanted less unbalanced mass on the end of my valve stems while spinning that’s why I chose non flow through. Also the eeze tpms works while stationary but it is black and white (grayscale) instead of color But it works great
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Javi the TST 507 screw on caps have a theft deterrent design that utilizes a small silver wrench thingie that just slips over the cap and removes the sensor. No problem at all to me. I can remove the sensor just about as quickly and easily as a valve stem cap. Keep the little wrench in the glove box of my truck and a spare (thanks TST) in the trailer.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
travelin texans

Justin FYI!
The Flo-thru caps do not work well on the rear dually wheels due lack of space.
The regular sensors are difficult on the duals as well, fortunately the DW had small enough hands to reach through the wheel holes to remove/replace them.
I'd recommend steel valve stems regardless of which type of brand you chose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
Vinnie

I noticed, when looking at one listing for the 507 system, that it states "metal valve stems only." Haven't dug into the full model line for the minute differences, but are there different ones that are more tolerant of rubber valve stems?

Also, my truck has integrated TPMS (I'm assuming my trade will also). I like the simplicity of the 507 system. Would there be a reason to consider any issues installing a set of flow-through 507 sensors on the six (seven w/ spare) truck tires?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I've used the sensor caps exclusively and been happy with them. Used them on 80psi rubber stems without an issue before going to steel. I will say with the rubber I did see some markings on the aluminum wheel but it would just rub away. I did however worry that over time it would fatigue the rubber and cause a problem.

If you have a TPMS built into the truck why would you want to replace it with an aftermarket TPMS? I like the TST a lot but have always used my factory TPMS on the truck.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Javi the TST 507 screw on caps have a theft deterrent design that utilizes a small silver wrench thingie that just slips over the cap and removes the sensor. No problem at all to me. I can remove the sensor just about as quickly and easily as a valve stem cap. Keep the little wrench in the glove box of my truck and a spare (thanks TST) in the trailer.
Thanks, the reason for buying them is convenience not something else to fool with.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, the reason for buying them is convenience not something else to fool with.

Yep, that's the reason I went with the sensor caps.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
And my screen is black and white but works good. It cycles through all the tires with pressures and temps and believe me the alarm works great when there is a tire losing air. I can just glance at it as I’m driving along and it’s reassuring then check all the mirrors and just get in a groove
Actually paid $329 with a booster and 4 sensors. They have a color screen option now as well
Old 11-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #20
Mmeyer

George I have eeze tpms Screw on type, I like them I just ordered a repeater. (booster) I was loosing a signal sometimes and it was taking a while to get the Signal back I think the repeater will help. I strongly suggest changing your valve stems to a metal ones so the weight of the Sensors don’t make your valve stem rock back-and-forth as the tire goes round. I’m sure other people agree and disagree with me just my thought.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote