Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Mongoose9400

TireLinc

https://store.lci1.com/tire-linc-tir...020106863.html

Anyone have experience with this product? I saw it on the counter today while picking up a couple knickknacks at Camping World today.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
LewisB

Did a cursory review and doesn't look too bad.
  • Most users either really like or really dis-like the cell phone app type TPMS systems. I think that is entirely user preference - I can see both advantages and disadvantages. I would ensure that the cell phone app will work without being constanly monitored (up front) by the phone. For example, you may want to actively use the mapping or music on your phone with the TPMS running the background. As long as it will alert you under any condition, I could live with it.
  • In my mind, the "always on" aspect is a definite MUST for a TPMS system. You want to be able to check your trailer BEFORE you move it to insure tires are ok. Some TPMS systems shut off the sensors when not rotating (to save battery life on the sensors.) Problem is, you won't know you have a problem until you pull out and get them rotating.
It looks like the system you referenced meets both of these criteria.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
travelin texans

IMHO I'd have to have the phone mounted to the dash with the app running continuously so I could see what's up at any moment which means the phone would be tied up during travel, so I'd have to pass on this system.
I had the TST507 on all 10 wheels, no booster needed, of my 5th wheel & dually with excellent service for more than 6 years, then sold the system to a buddy, who's still using it, when we sold our rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

To each his own I know but I like products/systems specifically tailored for what they do....not an app on a smartphone...some sort of computerized system (think InCommand) etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking about this system, if you've got an app running, the phone linked to the truck's audio system (to receive phone calls and texts) and you're using the phone for, say navigation confirmation as well), then if you get a call, a text or if the phone goes "blank screen to save energy" with everything still running, and you get a "alarm from the TPMS app".... do you "activate the phone so the screen lights up, then pull the app up to see if it's a low pressure or a high temperature, all while rolling down the road at 70 MPH ???

I'd prefer a "dedicated screen, dedicated unit" to do something like that, not a multipurpose "smart phone to do it all"....

Will it work? Yes, probably... Is it "immediate information on tire status" ?? Nope, it's "immediate alarm of a tire problem"... It may take seconds or even minutes to get the phone active, the app active on the screen, and then to orient yourself to what tire is causing the alarm.... By then, you could well be looking out the window at the passing car, with the driver pointing toward your trailer.... Real time alarm? What does it mean ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Mongoose9400

I did end up buying the TireLinc system and installed today in preparation for a 3,700 mile haul,

Old 11-13-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
I did end up buying the TireLinc system and installed today in preparation for a 3,700 mile haul,
After you get back from your trip if you get a chance circle back and let us know what you think. Safe travels.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:59 AM   #8
Berdan

I am curious if you could dedicate an old smart phone that you are not using for cell service as a display for this system? You can still download the app across your home Wi-Fi connection on the phone and use the phone as a dedicated display.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
I am curious if you could dedicate an old smart phone that you are not using for cell service as a display for this system? You can still download the app across your home Wi-Fi connection on the phone and use the phone as a dedicated display.
Seems to me to beg the question, why not just buy a TPMS with a display to begin with?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #10
Berdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Seems to me to beg the question, why not just buy a TPMS with a display to begin with?
It is a way to address the objection of not having a dedicated display, especially if you already own that TPMS and decide you dislike it being tethered to your active cell phone. Since OneControl controls other devices on some RVs it would be like having a spare remote for your TV and repurposes an unused phone you have laying around.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
Old 01-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Mongoose9400

Back from my trip and I'd say I liked having the TireLinc installed. It was nice to be able to check the tire pressures via the app especially since I was traveling through various climates and elevation. I was in winter conditions and summer. Sea level to 6,000 ft elevation. All items that affect cold tire pressure.

For me I always carry two cell phones. Personal and work. I didn’t want extra stuff in the window or dash. I have my rear observation camera monitor in the window and liked having the TPMS on my phone. You can get a dash warning light for the TireLinc to avoid using the phone to continuously monitor if that's your thing. Most of the time I just pulled the app open about once an hour and checked the stats. Sometimes I'd leave the app running and my phone in the cupholder.

But for me I'm usually using my phone to navigate anyways, so having the app on there isn't a big deal. Most of the time. While running long stretches down the highway, you don't really need to look at the map app, and you can have the TireLinc app opened. I also use the navigation built into my truck as a backup and to compare routes. I have a nice phone mount to keep my phone down and out of the way and it works perfect to not clutter up my dash or window.

For my needs the TireLinc worked well. Using a phone is not a big deal to me since I carry two all the time plus I'm younger, so apps are not a big deal to me.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #12
Berdan

I am wondering if OneControl Linc app will also display on Chevrolet Infotainment display via Android Auto. That would be another nice way to have a larger display in front of you.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE