Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Okay I have a 2020 29 rks 5th wheel. Has the win guard 360+antenna. Inside has a cover on the wall for furrion router. Do I need a furrion router or a winguard router.?
Winegard.. Sounds like the dealer already did the replacement of the Furrion antenna.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #22
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Winegard.. Sounds like the dealer already did the replacement of the Furrion antenna.
Yes from what I have read starting in 2020 all keystone cougars came with the winegard antenna
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #23
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
You said,
“ The nice thing about the 360+ is there's no raising or lowering of the antenna and the AC unit extends farther out than the antenna does.”
What you you mean about the AC? Why is it beneficial?
Old 03-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
What you you mean about the AC? Why is it beneficial?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the antenna being LESS TALL than the Air-conditioner ...
Old 03-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #25
skids

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the antenna being LESS TALL than the Air-conditioner ...
So the AC would block air digital signal with some parking orientations.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
So the AC would block air digital signal with some parking orientations.
I suppose in theory it could... I really haven't noticed it on mine. But that would include any of the antenna that don't raise.. which is most of them nowadays..

Look at it this-a-way you can't forget to lower it and break it off on way out of the campground..
Old 03-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #27
Bill-2020

Quote:
From what I read on the recall, dealer removes the "wing" portion of the Furrion antenna, leaving the "base or trunk" portion still attached which houses the 4G/LTE antennas, then the Winegard dome, which contains the OTA antennas, is placed over the Furrion base and sealed. The modem bracket that is on the ceiling inside remains as Furrion because the 4G/LTE portion/antennas are still on the roof coverd now by the Winegard dome. New trailers get all Winegard equipment as I understand. Recalled units are done differently. Again, as I understand it by reading the recall.

I removed all of the Furrion antenna (base/trunk and wing) and put a 360 Plus version over the hole. (my TT wasn't covered by the recall) I left the Furrion bracket on the ceiling inside to cover the hole. Maybe one day we'll use the Winegard 4G/LTE portion and then I'll remove the Furrion bracket and install the Winegard modem.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #28
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Our 2020 Passport came with a Furrion "wing" omnidirectional antenna. It's a wobbly thing up there and some have discovered it missing from the roof after getting to the campsite or home. I'd prefer the Winegard design (flat to the roof) over a "T" shapped wing wiggling at 65mph just waiting to get damaged and cause an issue or rip off all together. Inexpensive antenna change. Wonder why Keystone changed to the Winegard from Furrion (Winegard is a superior brand, so maybe that's it).

I'm not one for the wi-fi router option, we just like to catch the local news and weather forecast at night or something entertaining if we're pushed inside due to weather. DW and I watched an old B&W movie the other week.
There is a recall on the furrion antenna. Get with a dealer about having the furrion replaced with the winegard 360. Or contact winegard or keystone. I just went through all this.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #29
Bill-2020

Quote:
There is a recall on the furrion antenna. Get with a dealer about having the furrion replaced with the winegard 360. Or contact winegard or keystone. I just went through all this.
There is no recall on the 2020 Passport 239ML. Hence... owner decides how to roll the dice. I've never been a gambler so I replaced it myself ($150 or less as I recall), along with better wheels and tires. Get with a dealer? I'd be a much older man by time they got their act together here.

Read the latest post I made here...
Old 03-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #30
Camping family

The recall isn’t on the camper it’s on the antenna (furrion) problem was during travel they would come loose. So keystone replaced them with the winegard 360. That’s what I was told both by keystone and winegard when I been checking into mine.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
The recall isn’t on the camper it’s on the antenna (furrion) problem was during travel they would come loose. So keystone replaced them with the winegard 360. That’s what I was told both by keystone and winegard when I been checking into mine.
I understand it's not on the camper itself. I was told by the selling dealer (CW) some months ago when this recall first came to the surface that they looked it up and, 1. It was a recall by Keystone. 2. The 2020 239ML was not included in that recall. I've already done the change out with a 360+. I saw nothing good in mixing brands like they are. For a few more dollars the plus model can be installed (granted, more labor to remove the base). Winegard is in the business of antennas and the similar equipment. Furrion makes ovens, antennas, backup cameras, refrigerators, TVs and so on. Cold day in you know were before CW here gets their hands on my trailer for anything again anyway. No good impressions here, can ya tell?

Glad you had/getting yours changed out.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:11 AM   #32
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I understand it's not on the camper itself. I was told by the selling dealer (CW) some months ago when this recall first came to the surface that they looked it up and, 1. It was a recall by Keystone. 2. The 2020 239ML was not included in that recall. I've already done the change out with a 360+. I saw nothing good in mixing brands like they are. For a few more dollars the plus model can be installed (granted, more labor to remove the base). Winegard is in the business of antennas and the similar equipment. Furrion makes ovens, antennas, backup cameras, refrigerators, TVs and so on. Cold day in you know were before CW here gets their hands on my trailer for anything again anyway. No good impressions here, can ya tell?

Glad you had/getting yours changed out.
Quote:
Just so everyone is on the same page

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V398-4039.PDF
Old 03-19-2021, 05:39 AM   #33
Bill-2020

Quote:
Just so everyone is on the same page

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V398-4039.PDF
Thanks, Javi. I was aware of a different sheet, I think prepared by Keystone. Anyway. my guess is that “height” of the rig is major contributing factor. My 239 is... well, short.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #34
marine9007

The Winegard Air+ is best used as a TV antenna. The pricing for plans is not worth the quality of the internet speed you will get with it. I struggled with this decision also and after much research, I decided to go with https://instyconnect.com/

Even some of the Weeboost and Surecall setups will net a lot better results overall for speed and bandwidth. However, I would stay away from boosters unless you are using LMR400 or better wire and with a short wire length from the antenna to the modem/router setup you plan to use.

What makes instyconnect different is that the modem (with the sim cards) are in the antenna - so there is little to no signal loss from the antenna down to the router. You then run a USB data cable down to the router in the camper. If all else remains the same, you would see a lot better speed with this setup vs anything else out there unless you want to spend 1000s.

Once you understand how and where the data loss occurs, you will really have a true understanding of what will work for your needs. However, I would recommend staying clear of anything Winegard in terms of the internet - you may be disappointed.
USMC Veteran
marine9007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #35
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine9007 View Post
The Winegard Air+ is best used as a TV antenna. The pricing for plans is not worth the quality of the internet speed you will get with it. I struggled with this decision also and after much research, I decided to go with https://instyconnect.com/

Even some of the Weeboost and Surecall setups will net a lot better results overall for speed and bandwidth. However, I would stay away from boosters unless you are using LMR400 or better wire and with a short wire length from the antenna to the modem/router setup you plan to use.

What makes instyconnect different is that the modem (with the sim cards) are in the antenna - so there is little to no signal loss from the antenna down to the router. You then run a USB data cable down to the router in the camper. If all else remains the same, you would see a lot better speed with this setup vs anything else out there unless you want to spend 1000s.

Once you understand how and where the data loss occurs, you will really have a true understanding of what will work for your needs. However, I would recommend staying clear of anything Winegard in terms of the internet - you may be disappointed.
FYI- the modem for the 360+ is/can be mounted in the antenna dome on the roof. Or on the ceiling directly under the antenna. Length of the cable from the antennas (both) is less than 2 ft in either configuration. I doubt there is much signal loss. As for quality of the signal... you get out of it what it can bring in. I don’t use it for that purpose anyway, and don’t have a modem. I’m not camping to stream data, I’m there to enjoy my time camping. We use the OTA antenna for local news and weather in the evenings before pulling in the chairs and turning out the light. Having used both in the same location, it’s my opinion that the Winegard OTA antenna is much better than the Furrion, and now the antenna won’t get ripped off the roof while traveling. YMMV
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #36
marine9007

It would really depend on your use-case. What we normally see at campgrounds, large music festivals or even Nascar races is that you have too many people accessing a few towers, which generally equals good signal/bars but little to no bandwidth.
The correct antenna with advanced aggregation and other modem configuration/software is what allows your connection to "see" the congestion and switches to the non-congested channel(s) instead. This is another important difference between Winegard and others. Winegard's software simply cannot do what others like Instyconnect or Weeboost or others can do.
To each his own, but I think it's empowering to really understand the difference, apply what you learn in the field, and just giggle at your camping neighbors struggling with their Winegard setups not understanding why they have full bars but no internet.
I may recommend this or that for this or that purpose, but its important everyone does their own due diligence and educate themselves. The deeper you research, the more light bulbs that will go off in your head.
USMC Veteran
Old 03-20-2021, 06:39 AM   #37
jasin1

Quote:

Are you affiliated with instyconnect? I notice it just came out in Jan 2021 and is expected to ship later in the year... how did you get one if they haven’t shipped yet? I was thinking it was a real review but if it’s a sales pitch I may wait for more long term reviews... apologies if I’m wrong but....they are only taking pre orders
Old 03-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Are you affiliated with instyconnect? I notice it just came out in Jan 2021 and is expected to ship later in the year... how did you get one if they haven’t shipped yet? I was thinking it was a real review but if it’s a sales pitch I may wait for more long term reviews... apologies if I’m wrong but....they are only taking pre orders
Yes? I’m just trying to make a good purchase and I was sold on the winegard until I read your post and want to make sure it’s based on actual usage not hypothetical
Old 03-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #39
marine9007

No am I not affiliated with them, but I have studied their product videos and countless other internet options and I believe they have found the recipe that other larger OEMs will soon be copying - just my 2 cents...
I pre-ordered a unit and expecting it soon...
USMC Veteran
Old 03-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
No am I not affiliated with them, but I have studied their product videos and countless other internet options and I believe they have found the recipe that other larger OEMs will soon be copying - just my 2 cents...
I pre-ordered a unit and expecting it soon...
Ok thanks.. I’m think I’m gonna wait awhile before making any decision