Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old Today, 10:39 AM   #41
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Good purchase imo. I bought the Champion 2500 and found that it lasted 10-12 hours on Gas (and more on propane) over night with really the only load being the AC. Of course the time is dependent on the AC load that night.
You were able to run the ac with it? I got the 2500 as well. How many BTU is your AC?
autismalanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #42
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismalanimal View Post
You were able to run the ac with it? I got the 2500 as well. How many BTU is your AC?
Yes I was. My AC is a GE 13.5 BUT you really have to look at your exact model. I posted a link recently https://www.dometic.com/assets/12/86/3316570_71286.pdf
that exhibits what I mean. Depending on the model a 13.5 vs 15 may not matter. For me, I first measured the startup/running and voltage for each with a power meter so that I could verify what I found for specs (they were close) and then decided to purchase the softstart for added protection on compressor start up.

The bottom line is that after everything was put together the theory did map to the results.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #43
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Yes I was. My AC is a GE 13.5 BUT you really have to look at your exact model. I posted a link recently https://www.dometic.com/assets/12/86/3316570_71286.pdf

that exhibits what I mean. Depending on the model a 13.5 vs 15 may not matter. For me, I first measured the startup/running and voltage for each with a power meter so that I could verify what I found for specs (they were close) and then decided to purchase the softstart for added protection on compressor start up.
Ohh i see. The soft start is a little pricey but I kinda want one... would sure be convenient for traveling in the south, or just make it more comfortable for my son who still takes naps. As I understand it, its the wattage required to start the AC that makes using a generator for AC a little dicey. I am not sure what the exact model is but I know mine is 13.5 btu
autismalanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #44
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismalanimal View Post
Ohh i see. The soft start is a little pricey but I kinda want one... would sure be convenient for traveling in the south, or just make it more comfortable for my son who still takes naps. As I understand it, its the wattage required to start the AC that makes using a generator for AC a little dicey. I am not sure what the exact model is but I know mine is 13.5 btu

Exactly....we were traveling to Florida and knew it would be 90+ (and it approached 100 a few days) combine that with a couple of HarvestHost stays were we knew we would not have power and the generator was necessary. However, one day while in the keys the local power company had some work and they shut off the power to the campground from 10am-3pm So we needed it then in an unplanned situation. The softstart actually does work well.

I have to give them an A+ on support as the wiring was a bit different on the GE AC that I have and they got back to me within 2 hours on a weekend with a "unit specific" wiring diagram along with they guys cell phone if I had questions. Remembering back probably less than an hour of install time with only simple wiring tools - cutter/stripper, crimper and a screw driver. Even though I believe our unit could be handled with the 2500, I wanted a bit of headroom so that the converter/etc (nothing big) could run simultaneously on an AC startup.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator