Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Ccmano

Dometic Furnace BEEPS when it comes on.

So we have a new 2020 Cougar 24SABWE. As stated in the title every time the furnace comes on it loudly BEEPS once in the area of the "In Command" display.. It drives us crazy at night waking us up almost every time. I've looked at the Dometic CU806A furnace instructions and at the " In Command" system that runs it. Nowhere is there a note about this feature and how to turn it off or what it means. Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks
H
Old 09-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you isolated the beep so you know it’s at the furnace?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Ccmano

It's hard to tell exactly. The beep comes from the area of the "In Command Display" or the electrical panel which are in close proximity to each other. The beep is simultaneous with the furnace blower coming on which makes it difficult to isolate.
H
Old 09-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I am not well versed in the “In Command” system so hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. I suspect it’s the in command beeping

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
inteus

Beeping location

Mine does the same thing. I was camping just this week when it happened again. I traced the beeping to the fridge, which is just above the furnace. I'm not an electrician or anything, but I think the furnace takes too many amps when starting? The whole area lost power the other night due to a safety power shutoff (California), and while on battery power, my batteries were low and when the furnace kicked on, the fridge alarm started to go off. It was really annoying. I had to turn the furnace off and use a heavy blanket.

Now that I've followed the alarm noise to the fridge, I think there might be a wiring issue and will be calling the dealership on my next day off.
inteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Ccmano

Interesting. The fridge and Breaker/Fuse panel are immediately across from the In Command panel. This evening I have isolated the beep to the fridge/breaker panel side. To me it sounded like it was coming from the breaker panel. I have to listen some more to narrow it down. I suppose I could switch the fridge to gas and see if the beep goes away.
H
Old 09-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
inteus

My fridge beeped while on battery/gas as well. Not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Interesting. The fridge and Breaker/Fuse panel are immediately across from the In Command panel. This evening I have isolated the beep to the fridge/breaker panel side. To me it sounded like it was coming from the breaker panel. I have to listen some more to narrow it down. I suppose I could switch the fridge to gas and see if the beep goes away.
H
Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #8
Ccmano

This morning while I had the fridge open looking for something the furnace came on. Not only did the fridge beep, the light inside the fridge went Off and on. Seems to confirm it's probably a voltage drop at the fridge causing the beep.
As much as I hate to do it, looks like I'll have to take it in to the dealer for repair.
H
Old 09-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve been thinking about this and I wonder if the converter may be bad. Your fridge shouldn’t take more than a couple amps to operate, I don’t know how many amps the furnace fan pulls, haven’t had to measure one yet. Maybe the converter isn’t “keeping up”.

Just thinking...while drinking...dangerous combination I know, but I am at home.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Getn off

Just a quick thought from me as well.
First, the fridge beeping. Mine(Norcold) beeps when it wont transfer from ac to gas, or when I have the door open too long. I believe when this happens, the light also flashes. Self preservation I guess!
Second, I started my heater to check it out for the first time last week since the temps came down nicely in the Carolinas. Heard beeping. Turns out it was the mid fire/smoke alarm. I could also smell that new “furnace break in” smell. I let it continue for a couple minutes then turned it off. I turned it back on about 5 mins later and all was fine. Pretty sure it was just burning off the newness from the furnace.
Hope this helps.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Rockivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
So we have a new 2020 Cougar 24SABWE. As stated in the title every time the furnace comes on it loudly BEEPS once in the area of the "In Command" display.. It drives us crazy at night waking us up almost every time. I've looked at the Dometic CU806A furnace instructions and at the " In Command" system that runs it. Nowhere is there a note about this feature and how to turn it off or what it means. Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks
H
Hi There, new to the forum, and we are having the same issue with the same model trailer, and you are quite correct the literature that came with the trailer is useless, zeroention of what a single beep or a continuous beep mean, we took ours out for the May Long weekend up here in Alberta, was chilly and half a foot of snow, so a lot of cycles of the furnace. So the same deal the furnace starts and randomly the fridge beeps, confirmed it was the fridge the orange check light came on, a couple times the continuous alarm came on and would not stop until the power to the fridge was cycled. And when that happens at 1230am or 3 am it's a bit annoying. From watching over the weekend it looks as though it only beeps when the fridge is running AND the furnace starts it did not matter of it was running on full batteries, lower batteries later in the night or running on a 2200 Watt gen. From what I can find this looks to be a fridge issue so any help would be greatly appreciated, damn pain to get woke up in the wee small hours when your tying to have a relaxing weekend
Rockivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #12
inteus

I took mine in for service finally, and they replaced the breaker. This didn't fix the issue, but it doesn't happen as much. I'm thinking of moving the heater to its own breaker, maybe I'll do that this winter.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a problelm with DC voltage drop when the furnace and refrigerator are both operating.

I'd first try to determine if they are both on the same circuit. They are both controlled by 12 VDC, so they are not protected by a circuit breaker, but by a fuse. (It's true that the entire trailer DC system is protected by two "DC mini-breakers". They are on the front bulkhead just behind the A-frame). The individual DC circuits are protected by fuses in the power distribution panel.

Determine if the refrigerator and furnace "share a fuse". If they do, that may be what's causing your voltage drop and the beeping.

My guess is that the service center replaced one of the "mini-breakers on the tongue" based on the statement that they replaced a circuit breaker and it still beeps, but not as often... While that might be a "remote cause", I'd suspect that it's a problem much closer to the individual circuit, probably the "interconnection between the furnace 12 VDC supply and the refrigerator 12 VDC supply (being tied together).

One other "remote possibility" is that in some trailer models, Keystone installs a "DC Breaker" in place of a DC fuse. It will be a "small can that looks like a blade fuse" and installed in its place on the DC fuse panel. All of your 15 amp fuses should be "blue plastic". If one looks like a gray/silver fuse, it may be a DC breaker. Replace it with a proper size fuse and that may resolve your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #14
mikec557

Eureka! Annoying Fridge beep is gone

Eureka! Annoying Fridge beep is gone!

That annoying beep from the fridge every time the furnace turned on is gone. I'm not saying the fridge needs its own private 15 amp dc circuit. But it sure can't be left on the shared circuit Keystone put it on. I installed a dedicated circuit, but by the time I was done I couldn't test the hypothesis. Today I did. I ran the furnace, and after that test I ran the air conditioner. Neither caused the fridge to beep.

Just a side note. I added my two fans to the outside of the fridge, and the three fan assembly to the inside of the fridge, all on the same dedicated fridge circuit. These are like computer fans. They draw very little power. They do not cause the fridge to beep.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #15
Dog is my Co-Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Eureka! Annoying Fridge beep is gone!

That annoying beep from the fridge every time the furnace turned on is gone. I'm not saying the fridge needs its own private 15 amp dc circuit. But it sure can't be left on the shared circuit Keystone put it on. I installed a dedicated circuit, but by the time I was done I couldn't test the hypothesis. Today I did. I ran the furnace, and after that test I ran the air conditioner. Neither caused the fridge to beep.

Just a side note. I added my two fans to the outside of the fridge, and the three fan assembly to the inside of the fridge, all on the same dedicated fridge circuit. These are like computer fans. They draw very little power. They do not cause the fridge to beep.
I have a ‘20 Cougar 32 foot something. Almost every time my furnace would kick on, my fridge would beep, and need reset. Usually at about 2-3 am. Then the furnace would go into lockout, resulting in a cold camper. So, furnace board failed, and I’m thinking it is because Keystone, in their infinite wisdom, wired the fridge to the furnace. I replaced it with a Dinosaur board and wired a separate 12v circuit ONLY for the fridge. And just like that, fridge is silent and my furnace works. As an unintended bonus, by separating the fridge power from the furnace, it gave me about an extra 1 1/2 feet of wire on the furnace, making it way easier to remove to change the board out.
Dog is my Co-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #16
inteus

I'm definitely going to have to take a look at the breakers now and see if it's something I can do. I can live with the beep every once in a while, but I'd rather get rid of it altogether.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #17
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteus View Post
I'm definitely going to have to take a look at the breakers now and see if it's something I can do. I can live with the beep every once in a while, but I'd rather get rid of it altogether.
Just a point for clarity, it's not the breakers you'll deal with. They control 120vac appliances and outlets. It's the stack of 12vdc fuses usually located right next to the breakers that you'll work with. The job is easy, stringing the wire to where you want it to go is a little difficult if you're a little older and a little larger. Ask me how I know, LOL.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #18
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog is my Co-Pilot View Post
I have a ‘20 Cougar 32 foot something. Almost every time my furnace would kick on, my fridge would beep, and need reset. Usually at about 2-3 am. Then the furnace would go into lockout, resulting in a cold camper. So, furnace board failed, and I’m thinking it is because Keystone, in their infinite wisdom, wired the fridge to the furnace. I replaced it with a Dinosaur board and wired a separate 12v circuit ONLY for the fridge. And just like that, fridge is silent and my furnace works. As an unintended bonus, by separating the fridge power from the furnace, it gave me about an extra 1 1/2 feet of wire on the furnace, making it way easier to remove to change the board out.
Congrats. But that's a Bummer about the furnace board. I put a Dinosaur board on our last water heater. They make a good product.

Tags
dometic, furnace