Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #21
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
My load weight is 3052 lbs. My Tremor Forum has lots of people pulling 17k 5th wheels. I looked at Grand Design Momentumís that are 16,800 and pin weight of 2,785. I know many say I need a dually. On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs. My F350 6.7 Tremor is a beast. I probably wonít put the Carli Pintop suspension but will add the Firestone Ride Rite Red Label Extreme 7,500lbs air bag set up I already have. I will most likely get one of these heavy toy trailers and see what my rig can do. One of my friends says he pulls a triple axle 20k 44í toy hauler with his F350 6.7 Tremor. So IDK. I was a NYC Union Ironworker that was a connector that erected high rises, walking beams, and climbing columns and connecting the skeletons of these structures. Not many people would do this for a living. So itís just that Iím not afraid to give it a try. Thatís all. Iím going to pull mine and my wifeís Harleys across country and live life to itís fullest. If I have a hard time pulling this beast then Iíll pull the trigger and buy a 2022 F450. So thatís my plan. I know this subject causes lots of arguments and life is way to short for that. I just lost my dad in March and was with him as he passed away. That has changed my thoughts with life. Iím 53 yrs young and now retired, and I donít want waste a single day on the blessings JESUS CHRIST has bestowed on me. So I thank you all for your sound advice. I will just try it out with my Tremor and just take it one day at a time. GOD BLESS. ��������������������
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
He lost me at that and the "one of friends..." line. Some people also drive drunk, some folks drive while high on drugs, others do things that are just plain dangerous and or stupid. I will not follow in their footsteps, especially when my family's safety is involved. To each their own I guess. When I see them go by I just stay back and let them put distance between themself and me.
Well I highlighted a few statements in in blue and red.

My load weight is 3052 lbs. ..... Grand Design Momentumís that are 16,800 and pin weight of 2,785, Well that 2,785# pin is empty/dry no batteries, no propane, nothing, just as it rolled off the assembly line. One needs to figure 20% to 25% of GVW for pin weight loaded, so at 16,800# pin could be between 3,360# and 4,200 both more than your "Load weight of 3,052#" without subtracting the weight of the air bags, your family, hitch and stuff you load into the truck.

One of my friends says he pulls a triple axle 20k 44í toy hauler with his F350 6.7 Tremor. So IDK.
So if one of your fellow Iron workers intentionally jumped off a beam 80 stories in the air would you also jump off?

If I have a hard time pulling this beast
Pulling and carrying are two different items, getting it to move with the diesel, should not be an issue, it is the ablity of the TV to be able to carry the weight of the 5er pin on the axle and tires.

then Iíll pull the trigger and buy a 2022 F450.
This is the best statement you have made.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #22
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico, TX
Posts: 3,509
Iron guy has heard folks explain why his truck is over matched and he tells us other guys on the "Tremor" forum are also towing over capacity (payload) so it is OK. God bless him and hope he stays safe driving his "beast" overloaded. Two kinds that come to this forum as newbies. 1. Who heeds safety advice 2. Ones who don't



Not much beating a dead horse.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #23
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 4,666
May whatever diety the OP prays to watch over him and his loved ones and protect them in their hour of need.
__________________
Doing the RV thing since 1982
2020 Avalanche 313 RS 15K GVWR
2015 F350 6.7 2WD Dually 6062 Payload
B&W 25K RVK3305 Companion Hitch
63 Gallon RDS Wedge Aux Tank
Plenty of truck...and now plenty of hitch, WI-FI & fuel
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #24
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
My load weight is 3052 lbs. My Tremor Forum has lots of people pulling 17k 5th wheels. I looked at Grand Design Momentum’s that are 16,800 and pin weight of 2,785. I know many say I need a dually. On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs. My F350 6.7 Tremor is a beast. I probably won’t put the Carli Pintop suspension but will add the Firestone Ride Rite Red Label Extreme 7,500lbs air bag set up I already have. I will most likely get one of these heavy toy trailers and see what my rig can do. One of my friends says he pulls a triple axle 20k 44’ toy hauler with his F350 6.7 Tremor. So IDK. I was a NYC Union Ironworker that was a connector that erected high rises, walking beams, and climbing columns and connecting the skeletons of these structures. Not many people would do this for a living. So it’s just that I’m not afraid to give it a try. That’s all. I’m going to pull mine and my wife’s Harleys across country and live life to it’s fullest. If I have a hard time pulling this beast then I’ll pull the trigger snd buy a 2022 F450. So that’s my plan. I know this subject causes lots of arguments and life is way to short for that. I just lost my dad in March and was with him as he passed away. That has changed my thoughts with life. I’m 53 yrs young and now retired, and I don’t want waste a single day on the blessings JESUS CHRIST has bestowed on me. So I thank you all for your sound advice. I will just try it out with my Tremor and just take it one day at a time. GOD BLESS. ��������������������
How would you feel if the crane operator on one of your jobs decided he wasn’t afraid of lifting a load of steel over your head that was too heavy to safely lift.. over the specs on the crane..he might get away with it if it’s not windy or the load doesn’t shift.. would you put your life in his hands just because someone else said “don’t worry..you’ll be fine “
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 4,753
Glad to hear you're not afraid to tow extremely overloaded, now the issue is the rest of us ARE afraid that now there's going to be one more of "those guys" on the same highways we travel.
Statistics claim that 60% of the vehicles towing on the highways are overloaded in one or more of the limiting numbers, so here comes 61%!.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #26
MotoDad293
Junior Member
 
MotoDad293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Wildomar
Posts: 26
I will throw my 2 cents in as I am closely matched to the OP.

I have a 2020 F350 SRW CC LB and I tow a 2021 Raptor 351. When I bought the truck, it was not a model where they downgrade the capacity on the window sticker at zero cost, 12,400 to 11k. I never understood that anyway.

When I bought my 351 I had the dealer install the Goosebox 20k because I wanted to not have the extra weight and hassle of removing the king pin gizmo. I use my trailer as a toyhauler, most of the time I have 3 dirt bikes in the back as well as about another 300 pounds of parts, ez-ups and miscellaneous pit setup stuff. I tow with the fresh water tank and propane full but usually only fill the builtin generator tank when close to our race location. In the bed of my truck, while towing, I have another 35 gallon water tank, a pressure washer and usually 10-15 gallons of race gas.

I believe I run at my max tow by the numbers or slightly over. I really do not know. But I can tell you, the F350 tows amazing. I have had to do panic stops going downhill because of lane police, etc and the truck stops very, VERY well! I can still climb super well. I can climb the infamous Grapevine southbound on I-5 with little to no stress on the motor. I have yet to have any issue and believe I have been in most 'issue' situations. I bought the trailer 11/20 and accrding to the trailer info screen on the truck I have pulled the trailer 12,000 miles already. All over the west coast! Sitting flat on level ground there is only the slightest sag. Today I do not have air bags but I am planning to do them soon, when we have some downtime in the race schedule. Probably at that time, I will also do the Carli Commuter 2.5 level/lift. I will do the Deaver leaf pack in addition to the airbags.

I purposely bought a tandem axle fifth wheel over a triple, thinking the size is better suited for the SRW.

Having said all that, I purposely did not buy the Tremor because I too liken it to the Raptor. It does have a slightly diminished tow capacity.

Here are the 2 stickers in my driver door. I read it as I have 4561 pounds of pin weight, passengers and other things in the bed of my truck. Yeah?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4492.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	33924
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	33925

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	33926
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4033 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	33927
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #27
BSandersAZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3
Ironman,
It's not all about tow, tow tow. You have to be able to stop it also...
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:58 AM   #28
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSandersAZ View Post
Ironman,
It's not all about tow, tow tow. You have to be able to stop it also...
Well most trucks are rated to tow more than they can carry in a standard RV. Today's diesel engines are very powerful, and can move some heavy loads on the correct trailer. I am revering to a goose-neck deck trailer where the pin weight can be adjusted by moving the load forward or backward on the deck in relation to the axles.
Tow rating is a number not on the VIN or Payload sticker, one needs to look it up.
The other issues with towing heavy 5ers is that unlike a TT that is too large and takes the TV over payload, the natural stability of a 5er will not be a warning to the driver.
This is where many new 5er buyers get into trouble, they look at these huge tow ratings, and not the payload rating, or even the axle and tire ratings.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
I will throw my 2 cents in as I am closely matched to the OP.

...

I believe I run at my max tow by the numbers or slightly over. I really do not know. But I can tell you, the F350 tows amazing. ...
I'd simply say this: I urge you to take your "ready to go camping" rig over a CAT scale and "KNOW" what it weighs. Only then can you "KNOW" what you're towing and driving....

It's much better to "KNOW" and make decisions on how heavy you are rather than "find out in court from the plaintiff's lawyer that you were overloaded and it's going to cost you your life savings assuming the jury agrees".....

CAT Scales are your friend and well worth the $13.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #30
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,882
Ironman the OP has not been heard from since 6/3, so likely figures that the air bags will fix his issues.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 12,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Ironman the OP has not been heard from since 6/3, so likely figures that the air bags will fix his issues.


I believe Ironman wasn't concerned about weights, overloading or the safety of his family or others. I pass him/them all over the country (as in pass by).
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #32
Ironman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: W Islip
Posts: 6
No worries. I havenít gotten a 5er. I was not thinking about getting one until the winter so I would have one for next season and not pay top dollar.
As for should I get a 5th wheel or not, it doesnít seem to be something I would want to get right away. The most sensible decision would be get a travel trailer toy hauler. Work my way up with some experience and then get the 5er and the right truck to pull her.
Iím not a social media kind of guy. I really thought every forum would be like my Tremor Forum. Oh well. Laugh and belittle the next dude that asked the question. Itís all good.
Thanks for your insight. Life is what we make of it and who we share it with.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 12,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
No worries. I havenít gotten a 5er. I was not thinking about getting one until the winter so I would have one for next season and not pay top dollar.
As for should I get a 5th wheel or not, it doesnít seem to be something I would want to get right away. The most sensible decision would be get a travel trailer toy hauler. Work my way up with some experience and then get the 5er and the right truck to pull her.
Iím not a social media kind of guy. I really thought every forum would be like my Tremor Forum. Oh well. Laugh and belittle the next dude that asked the question. Itís all good.
Thanks for your insight. Life is what we make of it and who we share it with.


Ironman please don't think that I, or anyone else, was "belittling" or laughing at you. You posed a question that sent red flags up all around with the weights you were proposing to throw on that Tremor. Overweighing the truck that much would be dangerous to you and everyone else so there were some quick, direct responses. Sorry if you misinterpreted any of them that way.

As you mentioned, you are just looking into RVs and your last post sounds like you are reevaluating, which is good. As far as this vs the Tremor forum I suspect this one is going to be a bit different. RVing is not like owning a truck like the next guy on a forum; much more complicated IMO, many more things to consider, many more dangerous things to fail etc. We don't talk about which running boards to add, what's the biggest tire to put on to make the truck look "bad" etc. Topics are much more varied with new folks and others at all levels of experience - which is a good thing to me.

Stick around, ask questions (and yes, if they're weight related or problematic there will be responses) and share your thoughts and experiences. Some of us are sort of a cross between "grumpy old men" and "crusty codgers" but we do have your best interests in mind when it comes to RVing.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #34
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ironman please don't think that I, or anyone else, was "belittling" or laughing at you. You posed a question that sent red flags up all around with the weights you were proposing to throw on that Tremor. Overweighing the truck that much would be dangerous to you and everyone else so there were some quick, direct responses. Sorry if you misinterpreted any of them that way.

As you mentioned, you are just looking into RVs and your last post sounds like you are reevaluating, which is good. As far as this vs the Tremor forum I suspect this one is going to be a bit different. RVing is not like owning a truck like the next guy on a forum; much more complicated IMO, many more things to consider, many more dangerous things to fail etc. We don't talk about which running boards to add, what's the biggest tire to put on to make the truck look "bad" etc. Topics are much more varied with new folks and others at all levels of experience - which is a good thing to me.

Stick around, ask questions (and yes, if they're weight related or problematic there will be responses) and share your thoughts and experiences. Some of us are sort of a cross between "grumpy old men" and "crusty codgers" but we do have your best interests in mind when it comes to RVing.
And a lot of us were born when Harry S. Truman was president and lived through "Duck and cover" and the complete "Muscle car" era and the Bigfoot era... we already done it
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #35
MotoDad293
Junior Member
 
MotoDad293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Wildomar
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd simply say this: I urge you to take your "ready to go camping" rig over a CAT scale and "KNOW" what it weighs. Only then can you "KNOW" what you're towing and driving....

It's much better to "KNOW" and make decisions on how heavy you are rather than "find out in court from the plaintiff's lawyer that you were overloaded and it's going to cost you your life savings assuming the jury agrees".....

CAT Scales are your friend and well worth the $13.
OP sorry to hijack your thread but maybe this will be helpful to you.

Sooooo. We are mid travels between races. On our way to Bellingham, WA I just stopped at the Flying J in Jerome, ID. I just did the certified scale weight. My rig is completely full with cargo, liquids and waste as I normally travel. Here are my weight numbers. Based on the pictures of my door tags I posted above. I believe I am 150 pounds below my max. Is that correct?

Steer Axle 5200 lb
Drive Axle 7080 lb
Trailer Axle 13960 lb
Gross Weight 26240 lb
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
OP sorry to hijack your thread but maybe this will be helpful to you.

Sooooo. We are mid travels between races. On our way to Bellingham, WA I just stopped at the Flying J in Jerome, ID. I just did the certified scale weight. My rig is completely full with cargo, liquids and waste as I normally travel. Here are my weight numbers. Based on the pictures of my door tags I posted above. I believe I am 150 pounds below my max. Is that correct?

Steer Axle 5200 lb
Drive Axle 7080 lb
Trailer Axle 13960 lb
Gross Weight 26240 lb
And the Raptor 352 weighs 557 pounds more than your 351 and has a GVWR 350 pounds greater than your trailer. So, if we're looking at "apples and apples" with your 150 pound "buffer" there's nothing left to carry the OP's trailer. Granted, this comparison is "splitting hairs" but demonstrates what's been said by numerous posters to this thread. He's going to be "at/over his max GVWR and payload with that truck and trailer".....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #37
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
OP sorry to hijack your thread but maybe this will be helpful to you.

Sooooo. We are mid travels between races. On our way to Bellingham, WA I just stopped at the Flying J in Jerome, ID. I just did the certified scale weight. My rig is completely full with cargo, liquids and waste as I normally travel. Here are my weight numbers. Based on the pictures of my door tags I posted above. I believe I am 150 pounds below my max. Is that correct?

Steer Axle 5200 lb
Drive Axle 7080 lb
Trailer Axle 13960 lb
Gross Weight 26240 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And the Raptor 352 weighs 557 pounds more than your 351 and has a GVWR 350 pounds greater than your trailer. So, if we're looking at "apples and apples" with your 150 pound "buffer" there's nothing left to carry the OP's trailer. Granted, this comparison is "splitting hairs" but demonstrates what's been said by numerous posters to this thread. He's going to be "at/over his max GVWR and payload with that truck and trailer".....
Well now you know, just donít eat too many burgers between trips!

As to how this related to the OPís situation, you have 4,500#+ payload, the OP only has a 3,000# payload so would likely be starting out about 1,500# overweight.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, ford

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.