Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateReader View Post
ME and the wife talked last night and after telling her a lot of the things you all gave me here, she is up for looking at a SuperDuty truck! It really helped having alot of the logical reasons I got from each of you! So this weekend we are going to to look at the trailers and also trucks.

Should we buy the truck first or the trailer? We were thinking truck since right now the RVs are in short supply with very little in the way of deals. She can then get used to the truck since it will be her daily driver replacing our FJ Cruiser.

Thoughts y’all?

Hahaha … I also see some of you are retired LEO! I did my time in uniform also. I work in a hospital now. I thought it would be safer… until the pandemic hit! RTFLMAO.
There's also 2 other brands of trucks that are every bit as capable of towing, don't limit yourself to only the one.
If your DW liked the Tahoe that brand also make trucks.
Personally not a Ford fan if that's not obvious!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Nate since your wife is going to be the deciding factor on whether you get a truck....and what size, I think I would get her feelings on what she will or won't accept in truck size. When you go to look at the HDs she may just say no, but let's hope not. She may say a 3/4 is as big as she wants (remember there is virtually no difference in a 3/4 and 1 ton except additional payload for towing). With that in mind get her take on what kind of truck you both want.

Some thoughts on that; start with some well equipped HD trucks - they make trucks as nice (or nicer) than luxury cars IMO. Don't test drive a 1/2 ton first. They DO ride softer but give away a lot in towing ability. Have her note the increased visibility (my wife loves it, my daughter says she thinks she's in a semi).

Initially your thought was maybe a 150 and a 250 was overkill. If going with a 250 might as well go with a 350/3500 if going to the HD truck - if DW will go for that. Once that decision is made, get the payloads (from the sticker) of any prospective truck and that will then give you a baseline for what size trailer will fit. You started off with a very small trailer choice so going to any HD will open that up a LOT and you should find something you both like and still be well under payload of anything (HD) you look at. There would be no need to go look at top end luxury 20k 5th wheels (and spoil looking at the rest) if all she wants is a 3/4 ton.

Also (I know you know this) as the size of truck and trailer expands so does the cost. Keep that in mind as you start browsing. If you settle on a big HD truck it's very easy to let your eyes/wants get carried away; as I used to tell my DS a long time ago; "don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a??". Good luck finding the perfect match and keep us informed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #23
skmct

Your Tahoe is built on a 1500 series truck Frame
So you need to go with a 2500 or larger to gain anything. Google it gm still builds there SUVs on a truck frame.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #24
InkedMarie

Welcome Newbie! I can’t answer your questions but will say to get a bigger truck if it’s feasible. We started with a 24’, then a 28’ & now a 35’.....all in a year and a few days. Buy the right truck and TT. Buy your second TT first.

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As trucks go the 250/2500 or 350/3500 is not bigger in size than the 150/1500, they may be a bit taller in the 4x4 models & depending on the model might ride a bit stiffer, but as far as driving not much difference than the Tahoe or 150/1500.
Also the 150/1500 will be very little more, if any, payload than your Tahoe & the 250/2500 will be very little more payload than either of those.
Don't fall into the same trap that a lot of folks do thinking "I've got a 3/4 truck I can tow anything out there" WRONG!
The 250/2500 may be a tiny bit overkill for the mentioned rv, but depending on the next rv it may not be near enough.
So as not to disappoint John, no IMHO the F150 isn't better for anything!

The longest F350 is 3' longer than the longest F150. The longest F150 is just under 19' and longest F350 is just over 22'.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, keystone, tow, towing