Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
jcalkins

7 pin cable not comunicating with truck

I have a 2019 Avalanche 376rd. During our last trip my dash kept reporting that the cable was unplugged and to check the wiring. My truck has two 7 pin locations and I tried both, but it kept intermittingly saying that my cable was unplugged. Does anyone have any suggestions?
jcalkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalkins View Post
I have a 2019 Avalanche 376rd. During our last trip my dash kept reporting that the cable was unplugged and to check the wiring. My truck has two 7 pin locations and I tried both, but it kept intermittingly saying that my cable was unplugged. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe a wire inside your trailer connector is loose.. could you disassemble and check that they are all tight?
Old 05-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Blackrock

Check for damaged or broken brake wiring on the axles.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

No idea what brand truck you have, but all three "major manufacturers" use a different brand of 7 pin receptacle. Keystone uses "the lowest bid umbilical cable assembly" they can negotiate, so chances are very, VERY good that what's on your trailer isn't the same brand as what's on your truck.

While all 7 pin connectors are supposed to be "similar and functional with all other brands" that's not the situation "in the real world"....

Chances are very good that you've got a bit of corrosion, a loose or sloppy brass male/female connection point on a pin or multiple pins in your trailer end plug. I would focus on that because you said you've tried it in BOTH the receptacles on the truck with the same results....

First, inspect the trailer end for damage/worn connectors, clean them well to remove any corrosion or possible wet dirt, etc that might be shorting between pins. Then apply a quality di-electric grease to the pins to prevent any corrosion from developing.

Also, behind your bumper connector, you'll find the "plug where the in bed connector jumpers into the system. That plug sometimes gets loose and can corrode, so unplug it, clean the pins and apply di-electric grease there.

If these steps don't fix your issue, I'd consider a "name brand" 7 pin umbilical plug/cable and replace what's on the trailer. I did that about 7 years ago and haven't had a "TRAILER DISCONNECT" on the truck instrument panel since.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
Tooth Ferry

Same signal on my dash several times one trip. Stopped at rv dealer and they checked it and at that time it was OK. Happened several more times and the tech I use at home found a wire loose and worn in the hub area. Repaired that and no more problems.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Tooth Ferry

Worn wire in hub area intermittently losing contact.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable