Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
CedarCreekWoody

Mobile tech for Laredo?

Will Keystone Laredo normally authorize the use of a mobile tech for a 5th wheel that is under warranty? What number should I call? I assume they are on eastern time zone.

We are in California, 1500 miles from our dealer, and our fridge has quit working. I have verified it has 120 volt and 12 volt power and the two fuses on the circuit board are good. I don't know enough about refrigeration to dig deeper.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Will Keystone Laredo normally authorize the use of a mobile tech for a 5th wheel that is under warranty? What number should I call? I assume they are on eastern time zone.

We are in California, 1500 miles from our dealer, and our fridge has quit working. I have verified it has 120 volt and 12 volt power and the two fuses on the circuit board are good. I don't know enough about refrigeration to dig deeper.

Woody!

Dunno if the mobile tech thing works but I would call Keystone customer service (866) 425-4369 8 till 5 EST and 8 till 4 on Fridays. You will have better luck getting the correct answer asking them directly. In our camper, I also have a 2nd refrigerator (dorm size) that my daughter gave me. She is a senior manager and thought it would be nice to have in her office but found out immediately she ran afoul of the rules. We can store all our drinks, milk and a few frozen things and one of those may tide you over until you can get your fridge fixed. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Why deal with Keystone????? If it's a Dometic refrigerator, call Dometic. If it's a Norcold, call them. The refrigerator is NOT warrantied by Keystone, they only foot the bill then file for reimbursement from the manufacturer. Cut out the "middleman" and call the manufacturer directly. They may pay for a mobile tech to come to you or they may (probably do) have multiple service centers that are not associated with RV dealerships. That alone, will save you the hassle of making an appointment, delivering the trailer to a dealer and playing the waiting game....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Thanks guys. I do plan to make some calls tomorrow. I found a tech for Dometic a couple miles from here, not sure if he works mobile. Thanks for the feedback.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Well working with Dometic didnt work out so great. They recommended a mobile tech that could handle warranty work, but i had to pay for his service trip and then he could file a claim with them for the repair. The tech they approved wanted $330 to come out and then extra for any repair. But he didn't want to bother with filing with Dometic, he said I could do that if I wanted to.
I called a different tech but he couldn't get out to me until next week. However he talked me through a few things to check and helped me find a thermal fuse that was blown. He told me how to install a temporary 15 amp fuse that got the fridge running. I ordered a pack of ten replacement thermal fuses from Amazon that set me back $8. Hopefully in the future I will be close to my home dealer (I'm currently 1500 miles away) if i have any warranty issues. My mobile tech warranty repair has been a real disappointment. But I am very thankful for the tech that talked me through the diagnosis! South Coast Mobile RV in Anaheim if you ever need help in this area.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

OK, now that you are an expert, what does a thermal fuse look like and where was it located? You might take some pics as it could help someone else. Glad you are back on track if not fully there yet!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like the one between the power block and the stack. Nothing will power up if that is blown. It seems to be the common failure point when a Dometic refer won’t power up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sounds like the one between the power block and the stack. Nothing will power up if that is blown. It seems to be the common failure point when a Dometic refer won’t power up.
Yes, that is exactly what it was. Everything dead, no lights on display.

George I did not take photos, will do so when the replacement arrives next week and I reinstall.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-26-2020, 03:31 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what it was. Everything dead, no lights on display.

George I did not take photos, will do so when the replacement arrives next week and I reinstall.

Thanks! Hopefully you are not near all those wildfires out in Cali. Keep seeing wildfire in the news.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:49 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

All clear here so far. Thanks.
Andersen hitch
Old 09-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK, now that you are an expert, what does a thermal fuse look like and where was it located? You might take some pics as it could help someone else. Glad you are back on track if not fully there yet!
Here it is George. A 152°C thermal fuse. Couldn't find locally so ordered from Amazon. Got 10 of them for $8. It is small, looks like a resistor but is a thermal fuse. There is a red wire that goes from the 12 volt block on the left side to the exhaust stack on the right side. The fuse is in the middle of the wire, covered by the fabric sleeve pictured below the wire.
The fridge had no lights showing on the display which led me to suspect loss of 12 volt power. When I checked the red wire had 12 volts on one end, zero volts on the other. A quick continuity test confirmed the fuse was blown (not visibly apparent.) Just cut out the bad fuse, crimp in the new one and slide the insulating sleeve over it. Small uninsulated crimps work best, easier to go into the sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal fuse 152C.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	29585  
Andersen hitch

Tags
laredo