Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
jasin1

Campground observations

I’ve been enjoying a week long vacation and met some really nice people but I have to say the guy next to me last night was a test of my patience.
Pulled in with a toy hauler yesterday morning..let his big dog run all through my campsite.( friendly dog though)
He immediately gets out a bucket of soap and washes the front of his fifth wheel.. I just washed and dried my truck the day before ( at the car wash) my truck is right next to his front cap because the sites are tight.. ok just some soap and water spots on my truck.I can live with it
I made friendly conversation.. i said I wanted to do that but didn’t think it was allowed and his wife chimes in and says “oh we are washing it”
We talked trucks for a few min chit chat.. he had same truck and color but srw..
Anyway I wasn’t telling them they couldn’t wash it I just didn’t know we could.
He backed all the way to extreme end of site and opened his rear patio so it practically touched the rv window behind him.( I would feel weird sitting that close to someone’s trailer )
They check out this morning and the guy empty’s his tanks and then leaves the sewer cap off and let’s all the liquid that was left in the tank drain all over the pavement for 20 min..
He brings out a bottle of spray cleaner and with no gloves on, carefully washes all of his sewer fittings about a foot a way from my newly washed truck.
He is shaking the fittings around to dry them off and gets the cleaning solution all over my truck bed side.. I finally went out and looked and asked him what was in the bottle? He said oh I’m sorry it’s just sanitizer in a spray bottle. He apologized and said it wouldn’t hurt the paint.
I sprayed it off and wished him well and didn’t bother to shake hands as previously mentioned he didn’t wear gloves while cleaning and handling the sewer fittings.
Now I have to spray off the mess he left on the parking pad so it doesn’t attract flies.

All in all it’s been a great week and a great year all things considered and we were very happy to be camping.
Just needed to vent so I don’t simmer all day...the wife’s radar picks up on that pretty quick
Old 06-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think it's "bad now" just wait until the new campground owners rearrange spaces and add another campsite making 3 where there used to be 2 and his trailer is even closer to your new truck.....

We were at a KOA in Steamboat Springs, CO a couple years ago. They literally were digging up the concrete site pads and pouring new ones. Used to be 20' between spaces and in the new addition, it's 10'. Hardly enough space to open your awning if the neighbor's trailer has a slide.....

Ain't "progress" lovely ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
jasin1

[QUOTE=JRTJH;453316]If you think it's "bad now" just wait until the new campground owners rearrange spaces and add another campsite making 3 where there used to be 2 and his trailer is even closer to your new truck.....

We were at a KOA in Steamboat Springs, CO a couple years ago. They literally were digging up the concrete site pads and pouring new ones. Used to be 20' between spaces and in the new addition, it's 10'. Hardly enough space to open your awning if the neighbor's trailer has a slide.....

Ain't "progress" lovely ?????[/QUOTE

I didn’t sleep so good last night probably because I know the vacation is coming to an end. Might have been why it irritated me this morning.
This guy had a new truck as well and made sure to rinse off the soap he got on his truck but not mine is what kinda started it for me lol
But as I said it was a great week with great weather and I must say almost all of the people I’ve met have been really nice.
And I’m not looking forward to camping being taken over by big buisness but I guess with all of the national news about the popularity of camping since covid, it was bound to attract big investors.
I’ve noticed the same thing with marinas and transient slips .. it’s almost as expensive to stay in a hotel..one particular marina is $3 ft. Plus $17 for electric for one night.. $122 a night and I’m sleeping in my boat just tied up at their pier. They do have a pool though
Old 06-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

There are some out there that are trying to maximize on the popularity of RVing at the moment. If they don't have room for expansion (maybe if they do) they are doing as was mentioned and compressing the sites. We are good friends with a person that owns the RV park we stay in when in FL. They were to expand so we went in to look at the plans and pick a site we wanted. We did so and it was agreed that when complete that would be "our" site each winter. Then....

As time went by, permit delays etc., the lure of "more money" became too much and the plans for the expansion changed drastically. Gone were the green belt areas, the 40' sites became 25', pavement gave way to gravel etc. etc. Initially we had discussions about what campers would like and ease of ingress/eagress including many pull thru sites.

In the end pull thrus were gone, roads are 10' wide (maybe 12 but pretty sure 10) and those "nice" things campers would like....not important any longer. What was important? More spaces. More spaces = more $$. When I discussed it again with them they tried to explain and then said it wouldn't matter; they would fill up as soon as they could get them built, and....they were right. They had completed the 1st section when we left and what I thought were tiny, narrow sites (and they were) were immediately filled up and stayed that way until we left. Front awnings hanging over the neighbors sewer hose; your picnic table (which you provide) sitting either at the very back of the trailer in that 6' space or in the parking area with your vehicle. Our reservations are at a different place now; 45' wide x 80' long. Hopefully this trend won't last too long but I'm not optimistic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Ain't "progress" lovely ?????
Good to know, I was at that KOA July 4th weekend 2018 (Not bad for a KOA...) But if they made it more crowded since then.. I'll just dry camp in the Routt national forest and make the drive to town if needed. There is some nice dispersed camping between Rabbit ears pass and steamboat.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
Alpine

Frustrating indeed. My one add would be the times when I see folks putting (allowing) their dogs on the provided picnic tables.... why we always have disposable table-cloths.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve been enjoying a week long vacation and met some really nice people but I have to say the guy next to me last night was a test of my patience....
We've been camping for about 40 years and have definitely seen changes in both park availability and the nature of newer campers.

When we camp we still generally meet very nice, polite fellow campers. Those who understand how to share a campground with others, who respect their camping neighbors, manage their sound levels, and leave the place as well as or better than they found it. That's still the vast majority of the folks we see and meet at the campgrounds we visit.

However, we have also seen an increase in those "campers" who selfishly act as if they are they only ones who matter in the park. You know, the ones who seems to think that the entire park wants to listen to their music, or listen to their loud, alcohol-lubed conversations at midnight, or who seem to think that your campsite is open to use as their shortcut to wherever they're going, or.... I've seen some parks monitor those things well...to the point of threatening to kick them out. Other parks don't monitor so well. With the onslaught of so many rookies who either don't understand long-standing camp etiquette or are likely just self-absorbed in whatever they do, sharing a campground with others sometimes, sadly, requires more patience than it used to.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground