Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #21
notanlines

Personally, I'm still waiting for the used RV market to 'flood' like a lot of members said it would by this time. Hmmmm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #22
Harried Harry

I'm been looking to buy a new Ford F350 truck with the 7.3 gas engine. It has not been available anywhere for the past 14 months. I have only seen two of them but one was 800 miles from me and I was not travelling anywhere during the height of COVID. The other was not far from me but the dealership sold it even though I had provided earnest money. NO integrity for that "stealership.

Now I'll need to special order the truck but it won't be available (if then) until the end of the summer and yes, the prices did go up.

My mistake was in not paying for the truck when I first saw it. It met 90% of my wants but I had to debate with myself on the decision. It's been over six years since I bought any vehicle so it's partially my mistake. I forgot most of the honest dealers are gone and the ones left only care about the money. The sooner they get your money the sooner you are off their lot so another sucker can come in.

Flybouy has it right as to many of the reasons. COVID also played its part but the other side of the issue is the failure of American manufacturers and the Federal Government to realize how critical it is for us to have home based sources of critical components.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #23
busterbrown

I've been patiently waiting too. 5 years with our coach and the sale of it would be a 'financially" responsible thing to do now than ever before. Bunk house models are just non-existent in my area and any coaches listed privately are selling almost immediately. Our coach is in immaculate condition with pricey upgrades and modifications.

The question, if I do sell it, is how long will it take to find a replacement vehicle? And at what cost?

The unpredictability of the economy going forward just keeps me put as of now. The same is true with the housing situation. As I keep telling my wife, the gov't can only keep kicking the can for so long.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
I'm been looking to buy a new Ford F350 truck with the 7.3 gas engine. It has not been available anywhere for the past 14 months.
It's dry up in Michigan where I reside. I've been actively looking for a GMC Sierra 2500 for the past 4 weeks to no avail. There isn't a single unit available within 500 miles. There were two trucks that I did source out last week but the respective dealers are now asking over MSRP on both. Both wouldn't even consider GMS Employee pricing that I quality for. From all the dealers I've spoke with, it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Inventories will be tested for the next 6-12 months.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:36 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I've been patiently waiting too. 5 years with our coach and the sale of it would be a 'financially" responsible thing to do now than ever before. Bunk house models are just non-existent in my area and any coaches listed privately are selling almost immediately. Our coach is in immaculate condition with pricey upgrades and modifications.

The question, if I do sell it, is how long will it take to find a replacement vehicle? And at what cost?

The unpredictability of the economy going forward just keeps me put as of now. The same is true with the housing situation. As I keep telling my wife, the gov't can only keep kicking the can for so long.

Chris, just an observation from the cheap seats...

The current situation is drawing some folks into selling their current RVs due to elevated used prices. The pricing situation extends both directions. You aren't going to "win" with a great price on a used RV and not lose it on the elevated price of a new one....it just doesn't work that way. So....

In reality it's exactly as it was before the "pandemic" and induced hysteria. I got "x" and want "y". Nothing changed except the price for Y has gone up and so has the price for X. Betting on who does what to effect X is a losing proposition.

The situation currently is being affected by any number of outside influences. We are sitting and watching. With the RV and vehicle market we can either wait or look in our "crystal ball" to ascertain the future or.....just take it for what it is and deal with it. Trying to "catch the curve" on this situation, like trying to "catch the curve" on stock prices is a losing proposition. Just do what you feel you need to do; take advantage of elevated selling prices, elevated buying prices and loss of choices or just sit back and wait....what I will be doing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #26
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jim it may sound tempting at the moment with the market like it is but.....what if the "flood" doesn't come and due to forces currently at work the prices of vehicles, and scarcity, continue. Would you want to pay that high price to get back into an RV, give it up from now on or??? I think the jury is still out on which way this cookie crumbles.
I here ya Danny, That thought has come to mind for sure. But, at 74 I'm not sure how many years of towing I have left in me. I may just put it out at a price and hold firm and let the market decide.
We have a private site at our daughters in GA for the winters, and we could buy an older one and park it there permanently or use the one we have and just let the truck go. We're also looking at condos in SC where our other daughter lives.
Definitely need to downsize the house in NY either way. The good news is we have options.
But I am getting tired of dragging the beast up and down 75/81 every year.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I here ya Danny, That thought has come to mind for sure. But, at 74 I'm not sure how many years of towing I have left in me. I may just put it out at a price and hold firm and let the market decide.
We have a private site at our daughters in GA for the winters, and we could buy an older one and park it there permanently or use the one we have and just let the truck go. We're also looking at condos in SC where our other daughter lives.
Definitely need to downsize the house in NY either way. The good news is we have options.
But I am getting tired of dragging the beast up and down 75/81 every year.

Interestingly we have been having those same discussions as I'm sure several others on the forum are. How to figure out when "that" time is going to come is virtually impossible when you get to be our ages.

About 3 years ago we started divesting ourselves of our vacation properties which also meant we were eliminating many of our fun destinations when we traveled. In doing so we put all our travel plans on the RV since we sold our last property about a year ago. Bought this RV and figured I would get another in a few years but we began talking reality and those things which you mention.

Like some others here DW has put her foot down and said "I'm not leaving our home"......even though it's in a place I term in some very disparaging terminology. Our kids have their own kids and live busy lifestyles that we won't fit into so it's just going to be "usun's" till "that" time comes. Our compromise was that we can go anywhere at any time so I can get out of here (gone 8 mos. last year) - but we keep the house.

To that end (back to the RV discussion) we decided we don't need another RV. Like you there will be a time in the not so far away future that we will stop. Don't need to buy a new RV then quit RVing in 5-6 years. Decided to put an entire new suspension with disc brakes on this one (still in warranty) so those last years will hopefully be uneventful then the kids can figure out what to do with it. Good luck in choosing a path that fits for you. As I've said, if you're like me and your crystal ball is as cloudy/murky as mine, you just have to make the call and hope for the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote