Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
linux3

Propane valve

Sorry, I can't find the manual on this.
I have 2 each 20 LB propane tanks.
The idea that I should open both tanks and put the lever in the splitter to one side or the other just strikes me as stupid.
Say I put the splitter to the left tank. When the left tank runs out it switches to the right.
OK, but I don't know the left tank is empty.

Anyway, I like just opening the left tank and when the frig no longer fires up I close the left, open the right and refill the left tank.

Anyway, where should I put the splitter valve lever?
Left, right or in the middle?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Sorry, I can't find the manual on this.
I have 2 each 20 LB propane tanks.
The idea that I should open both tanks and put the lever in the splitter to one side or the other just strikes me as stupid.
Say I put the splitter to the left tank. When the left tank runs out it switches to the right.
OK, but I don't know the left tank is empty.

Anyway, I like just opening the left tank and when the frig no longer fires up I close the left, open the right and refill the left tank.

Anyway, where should I put the splitter valve lever?
Left, right or in the middle?
I almost never open both valves at the same time.. but if I did I'd point the lever at the one I want to empty first... then the gauge will show red when it is empty.. switch the lever over to the other tank and the gauge will go green again..

The only time I actually do this is in the dead of winter and I don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to open the other tank.. otherwise I just do one at a time..
Old 04-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

So what if you run out of propane at 3 in the morning and your furnace stops working?

The regulators used on trailers today are "automatic changeover" regulators - that means they run from the selected tank until it's empty and then automatically change over to the other tank.

When this automatic changeover happens, the indicator on the regulator will indicate it (usually with red visible in the sight glass).

You just need to check this each day. When you see that it has gone red, switch the regulator to the other tank, and refill the now empty tank.

For this automatic changeover to work, both tank valves must be open, and the regulator selector lever pointing at the active tank (not in the middle).

It's there for convenience, but of course you don't have to use it. You can just do it all manually if you're more comfortable with that.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I always run with both open. Just check the switchover valve indicator and you’ll know when one is empty. If your not using the furnace every few days is more than enough. To each his/her own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
Javi

The thing about propane usage with todays trailers is that the only thing I use it for is cooking, heating water and the furnace... since we don't boondock, many times we never even turn the tank on.. when we had an RV fridge it was usually the first thing I turned on when I when to hook up for a trip.. now with the residential fridge... and a 12 gallon water heater not so much, unless it's cold outside or the DW wants to make tea or cook breakfast.. I've filled one tank since July and thats because we camped a week at Christmas..
Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

Still, at some point that tank's going to go empty. What if it does so at 3 in the morning and it's really cold (such that you are depending on your furnace)?

I open both of mine to make sure I will never run out in the middle of the night (the dark, cold, rainy night)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

I think you just (re)started the endian wars.
Liliput, was a land divided. There were the Big endians and the Little endians.
What was it all about?
Which end of a boiled egg should the egg be opened and eaten from.

BTW, the modern version of this is the difference between Apple and Windows computers, which is based on the difference between intel and Motorola CPUs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #8
JDDilly

I always run with both tanks open and check the valve every few days to see if it is red. In the spring and fall I go through more LP so I check it more often. When one is empty, I get it filled.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #9
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I think you just (re)started the endian wars.
Liliput, was a land divided. There were the Big endians and the Little endians.
What was it all about?
Which end of a boiled egg should the egg be opened and eaten from.

BTW, the modern version of this is the difference between Apple and Windows computers, which is based on the difference between intel and Motorola CPUs.
As a retired code monkey Endians has to do with the order or sequence of bytes of a word of digital data. What you talking about eggs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
Old 04-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

As in Javi's case one might not want to open both valves with the way he uses his trailer. I have always left both open with the lever pointed to the tank in use. Run out of one tank? Who cares. Just keep an eye on the indicator and you will know when it went dry. If not, 30 degrees outside, 6" of snow and wake up freezing. Try to wake up, find you clothes and go out in the snow to....turn on the tank that was meant to be on anyway.

Use the trailer enough and you will know about how fast you go through propane if you tend to use it for a lot of stuff. If not, just check every now and then. I want to use that convenience vs being inconvenienced at the most inopportune time. Folks do it both ways - whichever suits them best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #11
linux3

We never have used our furnace. I'm not sure how it works.
We have a couple of electric quarts heaters and so far that has been sufficient. If I run the furnace I have to pay for the propane. If I run quarts heaters.... It's part of my site rental.

I don't want to lift the cover every few days and look at the valve. I want to use one tank to power the frig while traveling and that's the only use for propane.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
We have a couple of electric quarts heaters and so far that has been sufficient. If I run the furnace I have to pay for the propane. If I run quarts heaters.... It's part of my site rental.

I don't want to lift the cover every few days and look at the valve. I want to use one tank to power the frig while traveling and that's the only use for propane.
Ok, we tested a few years ago. A Dometic 6 cubic foot (2 door) refer ran for 30 days on a 20LB bottle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I use the regulator as it is designed to be used. Open the two 30 lb tanks, point regulator to one tank. Check my phone for the tank levels on the Mop[eka tank sensor app. Preetly darned easy and silly not to do it as far as I'm concerned.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #14
BigBobIa

I use the selector as the tank to open first. Assume right. That way right is the active tank. Then I open the left. When the right tank shows red that tank is empty so move the selector to the now active left tank and remove/refill the right one. When full turn it on. Eventually the left tank will run out and repeat.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:

You might learn how to operate your furnace. What if you are in a park some cool spring or fall night and the park looses power?
While we have an electric add-on unit to our furnace, we do use propane for cooking and water heating. a 30# tank last about a month.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #16
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
As a retired code monkey Endians has to do with the order or sequence of bytes of a word of digital data. What you talking about eggs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness
As one code monkey to another ...
yup! AND ...

"At first, the Lilliputians are hospitable to Gulliver, but they are also wary of the threat that his size poses to them. The Lilliputians reveal themselves to be a people who put great emphasis on trivial matters. For example, which end of an egg a person cracks becomes the basis of a deep political rift within that nation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver%27s_Travels
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Still, at some point that tank's going to go empty. What if it does so at 3 in the morning and it's really cold (such that you are depending on your furnace)?

I open both of mine to make sure I will never run out in the middle of the night (the dark, cold, rainy night)
I'm more concerned about both tanks going empty unexpectedly than I am about going outside at 3 in the morning so I run mine as manual switchover. An undetected leak could drain both tanks. To each his own.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #18
Camping family

I never open both tanks. In the winter if I’m camping and worried I might run out of propane in the middle of the night I will just change over to the full tank before going to bed. Then in the morning change back to the other tank.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #19
jxnbbl

Ditto, I have Bluetooth tank indicators on the tank and take a look before going to bed. The entire goal is always have one partial and one full IMO
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #20
JDDilly

In 30 years of owning campers, I have always kept both open. I check every couple days to see if the active one is empty, if I cold I will check daily. I have to say, I have never run out of LP.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane