Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
Hr42010

Generator wont start

So i have a 91 toyota Winnebago i just bought the previous owner told me he didnt know if the generator worked cause they never tried to use it. But it cranks and fires but just makes a popping sound it does shoot air out of the exhaust and looks like gas is leaking out of its catalytic converter when im cranking it?
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Hr42010

It has 157 hours of use on it already.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
So i have a 91 toyota Winnebago i just bought the previous owner told me he didnt know if the generator worked cause they never tried to use it. But it cranks and fires but just makes a popping sound it does shoot air out of the exhaust and looks lime gas is leaking out of its catalytic converter when im cranking it?

Not sure what "lime gas" means and not sure there is a catalytic converter. Your carburetor is probably gummed up. To fix, remove the carburetor. Float bowl will have to come off. There is likely a rubber seal between bowl and carb body. Have a spare because if this is the original generator it probably will get ripped or not be able to be fitted again. On the bottom of the float bowl will be what looks like a nut. Remove it. There is a hole down the middle and some holes on the side. You will need to cut a small piece of electrical wire and strip it to get one strand (use stranded wire) and poke through the holes and spray with carb cleaner. Put stuff back the way it came apart and you may find it starts right up. You may also need a new gasket for the carb where it attaches to the cylinder head. You might mention brand of generator and a model; perhaps the right parts can be found.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #4
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure what "lime gas" means and not sure there is a catalytic converter. Your carburetor is probably gummed up. To fix, remove the carburetor. Float bowl will have to come off. There is likely a rubber seal between bowl and carb body. Have a spare because if this is the original generator it probably will get ripped or not be able to be fitted again. On the bottom of the float bowl will be what looks like a nut. Remove it. There is a hole down the middle and some holes on the side. You will need to cut a small piece of electrical wire and strip it to get one strand (use stranded wire) and poke through the holes and spray with carb cleaner. Put stuff back the way it came apart and you may find it starts right up. You may also need a new gasket for the carb where it attaches to the cylinder head. You might mention brand of generator and a model; perhaps the right parts can be found.
Like not lime editing now
Old 04-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #5
Hr42010

Sorry i thought i did put what it was. But what i know at the moment without going to look at it its a kohler 2.5cmz
Old 04-20-2021, 02:56 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Welcome

If you are leaking gasoline, I would resolve this problem before anything else. After that, it sounds like carburator issues as already mentioned. I sounds like your compression and spark are okay.

If you are not comfortable with carb repair, and adjustments, leave it to a pro.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:45 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If the genset is also 30 years old drain the fuel tank, clean it well and replace all the gas lines and the fuel filter. Chances are if you go thru all that work to clean the carb you'll just gum it back up with crud in short order.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:04 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If the genset is also 30 years old drain the fuel tank, clean it well and replace all the gas lines and the fuel filter. Chances are if you go thru all that work to clean the carb you'll just gum it back up with crud in short order.
Sounds like the gen is in a motorhome, so it will draw from the same fuel tank for the engine.

OP: as stated, get the fuel leak fixed before you do anything else.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:08 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sounds like the gen is in a motorhome, so it will draw from the same fuel tank for the engine.

OP: as stated, get the fuel leak fixed before you do anything else.
Understand that, but the fuel line and filter on the Genny should be changed out even if the tank is shared. If the fuel line is shared it would still have a length of fuel line going to the generator that could be gummed up would it not?
Old 04-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Understand that, but the fuel line and filter on the Genny should be changed out even if the tank is shared. If the fuel line is shared it would still have a length of fuel line going to the generator that could be gummed up would it not?
Yes the filter and line should be changed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #11
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
So i have a 91 toyota Winnebago i just bought the previous owner told me he didnt know if the generator worked cause they never tried to use it. But it cranks and fires but just makes a popping sound it does shoot air out of the exhaust and looks like gas is leaking out of its catalytic converter when im cranking it?
I would look at the float if it’s cracked there will be gas in it making the float heavy and not stopping the flow of gas Into the engine or air intake . I would check the oil to make sure it’s not over full or Deluded with fuel.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yes the filter and line should be changed.
Of course with a 30 year old MH I'd be changing out the brake lines, brake cylinders, calipers, fuel lines and tank sock, and every piece of rubber bushings, etc. But that's just me, IO just don't like surprises when I step on any pedal under the steering wheel.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #13
jasin1

If it were me I would pull the generator from the rig and go over everything AWAY from the rv.. new fuel lines and filter and send the carb to a local shop that specializes in carb rebuilds. It’s not that expensive to have it professionally rebuilt.( probably under $200) Clean everything up and run it on the ground. Make sure when you install it that you check to see if it supposed to have a spark arrester screen and everything is exactly the way it’s supposed to be. You don’t want it running rich or lean and/or producing CO. And don’t want it backfiring and burning the rig down. Check the exhaust thoroughly also
For a 1991 rv the hours are really low on the generator, that’s not necessarily a good thing as they need to be exercised and motors are meant to be run regularly
Old 04-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

I am betting last owner never used the genny because it did not run. Not because he did not want to.
Sound advice was remove the generator, take it in for repair. At the very least needed is new fuel lines and filter. The type that can be used with ethanol. New or rebuilt carb if 1 can can found. Have engine tested for compression. Find out how much all that costs and decide if it's worth it vs buying a portable genny.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #15
Hr42010

Quote:
It pulls gas directly from chasis engine. But when i first pulled float apart there was a little something there?
Old 04-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #16
Hr42010

Quote:
Of course with a 30 year old MH I'd be changing out the brake lines, brake cylinders, calipers, fuel lines and tank sock, and every piece of rubber bushings, etc. But that's just me, IO just don't like surprises when I step on any pedal under the steering wheel.
All brake lines calipers and all that are good. Its been kept up on engine maintenance and chasis engine runs great i put a fuel injection cleaner through the last tank of gas i ran through it also.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:55 AM   #17
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If it were me I would pull the generator from the rig and go over everything AWAY from the rv.. new fuel lines and filter and send the carb to a local shop that specializes in carb rebuilds. It’s not that expensive to have it professionally rebuilt.( probably under $200) Clean everything up and run it on the ground. Make sure when you install it that you check to see if it supposed to have a spark arrester screen and everything is exactly the way it’s supposed to be. You don’t want it running rich or lean and/or producing CO. And don’t want it backfiring and burning the rig down. Check the exhaust thoroughly also
For a 1991 rv the hours are really low on the generator, that’s not necessarily a good thing as they need to be exercised and motors are meant to be run regularly
Im thinking its most likely carb im not to savy with single cylinders and neither is my dad but he knows older car engines pretty well and he said he thinks it sounds like timing? But i think you guys are on to something with the carb. I gotta few rv servicing places around im gonna maybe call around and get an estimate if it no more than $200-300 i might just leave it to professional.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #18
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I am betting last owner never used the genny because it did not run. Not because he did not want to.
Sound advice was remove the generator, take it in for repair. At the very least needed is new fuel lines and filter. The type that can be used with ethanol. New or rebuilt carb if 1 can can found. Have engine tested for compression. Find out how much all that costs and decide if it's worth it vs buying a portable genny.
Yeah that was my thought the second i tried to start it they just didnt want me to try to lower the price of buying which i understand. I paid $500 less than what they paid and they only bought it for 1 trip.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #19
Hr42010

So i spoke with 1 rv place so far and theyre also saying it sounds like carb but need to replace it. And the carb alone is going to cost me about $360.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #20
Hr42010

Calling around ive spoke with at least 3 places that say they dont really service clean or rebuild carbs as they have no luck and that i should replace it. So i might have to see iff cleaning it on my own if that dont work replace it . maybe have to do it my self as the part is going to cost $360 im sure labor is going to be ridiculous.

Tags
generator