Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #101
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With a trailer in tow ???? That's an excellent way to screw up a transmission and possibly a transfer case "shifting back into gear after impressing "those gas truck infidels"....

Way too much effort for something that probably wouldn't make enough noise anyway with these "new fangled quiet, non smoking oil burners"....

If I had a RAM, I'd just extend the mirrors and "hit em on the head" as I passed by" ROFL
Truth be told, the only reason I'm not driving a Ram today is those mirrors. When I went to buy another diesel I went straight to the Dodge House and when the salesman took me out to the lot to proudly show me his inventory I asked him if he had optional mirrors... he said NO, I said thanks and drove the 3 blocks to the Ford dealership...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #102
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I guess in a way, I show off to many gassers pulling heavy loads up a steep long western mountain grade. When most are stuck in that 35 to 40 mph, I do the speed limit. CC along at 65, up/down and on straights. It is laughable how many times I pass them on the hills, they speed up on the downsides or flats going damn fast and pass me. Next hill I am still at same speed and pass them again.
I will admit driving a 460 ford and later the Ford V-10 work trucks as patrol vehicles. They would be a speed machine on flats pulling an 8,000 lb boat. But once the RPMs drop, speed just cannot be picked up again like in the turbo charged diesel engine. Until you try it you cannot beleive what low end power is. The V-10 would be screaming about 4800 RPMs and my personal truck just a power machine under 2,000 RPMs.
Meanwhile I keep an extra $8000 in my back pocket, laughing all the way to the bank.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #103
JRTJH
Site Team

In 2015 when I bought my SuperDuty diesel, the MSRP for the diesel was 8480 (I just checked the window sticker for the truck that's in the glove compartment). The NADA retail markup for the diesel is $6200 "trade" and $6650 retail. That's about a $1830 cost for 6 years of driving the diesel...

It's not an $8000 charge to buy a diesel that becomes an $8000 loss when you trade that same diesel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:51 PM   #104
Javi

Quote:
In 2015 when I bought my SuperDuty diesel, the MSRP for the diesel was 8480 (I just checked the window sticker for the truck that's in the glove compartment). The NADA retail markup for the diesel is $6200 "trade" and $6650 retail. That's about a $1830 cost for 6 years of driving the diesel...

It's not an $8000 charge to buy a diesel that becomes an $8000 loss when you trade that same diesel.
They'll never understand that...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #105
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

We have to remember that the truck/auto market now is off the charts unrealistic. They're giving more in supposed NADA/KBB trade in values than the options ever cost up front. That's well and good but when you have to pay 90k for that 70k truck you could have got in 2019.....then that super NADA price for that diesel doesn't mean much. On the other hand, my son is a car dealer/broker (for 25 years)...doesn't look at the internet to guess prices; he said on average a truck with under 100k would bring a premium of 4k or so over a gas engine. Makes sense. That was before the current self induced hysteria we are all enduring but sort of puts things in perspective. At that time the diesel option was running about 8k as I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #106
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Good grief! I thought we were done with this like 3 pages ago. What are we arguing about again now?
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #107
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I get it. I love diesel too. But some people have different needs. DW and I are in our early 60's. And we plan on being part-timers, never planning to buy any rig that weighs more than 16k lbs.
I want one last truck to take us through 10 to 20 years of traveling. Probably about 200k miles and well past extended warranty time periods. The most reliable diesels out there are the older ones with mechanical pumps, no def, egr etc. The very same ones my wife despises.
I won't bad mouth anyone's diesel, I like them. If I was towing heavier than I'm going to, I would buy one. But since I am not, I am planning on a F-350 with the 7.3l gas engine.
Oh, and 4:30 gears . It fits my needs.
I am on the backside of a 7,000 mile tour of the southwest. I should also mention that our “home port” is mountainous Western NC. I have a 2020 crew cab long bed F350 DRW 7.3 gas.with the same rear axle you’re looking at. I’m pulling a 41.5’ Montana weighing in at between 16K lbs and 18K lbs. We've pulled “the beast” to elevations right at 9,000 feet. It’s groaned a few times, never shown any real signs of stress. The 10-speed transmission works well and does a fair imitation of engine braking as well. On an up-hill day, we will get around 6 mpg to 7 mpg. On downhill days I’ve gotten as high as 14.6 mpg ( from Ruidoso to Carlsbad). Generally, though, I get 8mpg to 11 mpg on cross-country. I rarely move along faster than 65mph … usually 60 mph where permitted. I burn regular, but watch out in the high elevations where gas labeled regular is 85 - mot 87 - octane. You will be forced to opt for midgrade to get 87 octane and your owners guide states using less than 87 could forclose your warranty. My previous truck was a 1999 7.3 diesel pulling a 13,000 fifth wheel. I got a little better mileage with it when not pulling a trailer than I do with the 2020, but about the same when pulling. Also, my current ride has a 48 gallon tank versus the 35 in the diesel. I now can do a full day if towing with fuel left in the tank. Never could before. Hope this helps.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #108
Bill-2020

When I bought my gas SD in mid December 2020, a 6.7 diesel was $8000 more for the same model (XLT) and features as my 6.2 gasser. That's where I get $8K from. What the value of the truck is in 5,6 or 10 years from now will depend on economic factors that are out of our control. I never wanted to ever buy a $52K truck, let alone a $60K+ truck. One of the deciding factors was the value of truck at that time. I was at a sweet spot with mileage, age, and the market value. Would I have liked to have the power of a diesel? Sure. Did I need it? No. The cost of the super duty I have is part of my cost of having an RV that we enjoy. Essentially, it's the "cost of doing business" at this point in time for us. I've bought many vehicles in the past that met my needs AND I knew the resale or trade value would be higher than a different model 5-10 years down the line. In this case, I couldn't make that determination but I took advantage of a good opportunity that presented itself and ran with it. Had the gasser been another $8K or even $4K for that matter, I would have sat there and cheered my brother on as he negotiated a price on his new super duty. YMMV
Old 04-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #109
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Truth be told, the only reason I'm not driving a Ram today is those mirrors. When I went to buy another diesel I went straight to the Dodge House and when the salesman took me out to the lot to proudly show me his inventory I asked him if he had optional mirrors... he said NO, I said thanks and drove the 3 blocks to the Ford dealership...
Well to each their own, but not a reason that would make me pass on the Cummins.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #110
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
When I bought my gas SD in mid December 2020, a 6.7 diesel was $8000 more for the same model (XLT) and features as my 6.2 gasser. That's where I get $8K from. What the value of the truck is in 5,6 or 10 years from now will depend on economic factors that are out of our control. I never wanted to ever buy a $52K truck, let alone a $60K+ truck. One of the deciding factors was the value of truck at that time. I was at a sweet spot with mileage, age, and the market value. Would I have liked to have the power of a diesel? Sure. Did I need it? No. The cost of the super duty I have is part of my cost of having an RV that we enjoy. Essentially, it's the "cost of doing business" at this point in time for us. I've bought many vehicles in the past that met my needs AND I knew the resale or trade value would be higher than a different model 5-10 years down the line. In this case, I couldn't make that determination but I took advantage of a good opportunity that presented itself and ran with it. Had the gasser been another $8K or even $4K for that matter, I would have sat there and cheered my brother on as he negotiated a price on his new super duty. YMMV
And that's exactly why I said several posts ago that everyone has to make a decision if they're going to tow an RV. Do they buy the tow vehicle they "NEED" or the tow vehicle they "WANT". For some, towing trailers over 15K or so, it's a fairly clear choice. For those towing less than around 12K, it becomes a "NEED a 3/4-1 ton truck" whether it's powered by gas or diesel is the "WANT" part. For many (probably most) who have towed with a diesel, they "WANT" to stay with diesel. There's a few who make the switch back to gas, but I'd suspect more "make the switch to keep diesel" than revert.

In the end, if you're happy with your truck, that's what really matters as long as it safely tows your trailer with your family along for the ride.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:06 AM   #111
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Good grief! I thought we were done with this like 3 pages ago. What are we arguing about again now?

This thread will go on and on and someone will either ask diesel vs gas in a couple months and the same folks will give the same comments and that new post will go on and on. Same with posts mentioning tires; especially the TKs. Try to remember a thread where actual camping is discussed bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:00 AM   #112
flybouy
Site Team

I want to know where that cg is that the deisel guys are revving up next to the gas trucks. Do they get out and look at the badging to see if each truck is a deisel or a gasser? Is this cg next to the beach where they bully kicks sand in your face?

Perhaps what you are perceiving as a "snub" may perhaps just be the way many deisel drivers operate their trucks at very slow speed. Unlike a gasser, if you increase the throttle on a deisel at very slow speed the low speed torque will accelerate you too rapidly so folks tend to "feather" the throttle to give a little burst of power that carries you farther at a slower speed. Gassers don't have to do that the torque doesn't arrive until a much higher rpm. Sometimes I get annoyed at the sound of a biker with straight pipes but understand that that's their thing so you ignore it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #113
Ken / Claudia

Bill-2020, I understand your thoughts on laughing at the bank by saving 8,000 on the purchase. But, resale values also reflects that investment. It's not so much a gas vs diesel it's the trim package or options you added to the basic stock vehicle over the upgraded. If you take 2 trucks of same make, year, mileage and condition example could be the XLT will always resell less than a King Ranch. Diesel is a added option. Your right it's anyone guess what the true value of used vehicles will be in the future. Higher end packaged vehicles tend to be worth more than lower packaged, how much is the big question.
But, when a vehicle is used within it's limits for the job we want it to do, we should all be happy with what we got, if it does not live up to your standards there are many other choices it just comes down to money you have or are willing to spend.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #114
flybouy
Site Team

If anyone is looking to save many tens of thousands of dollars then sell the truck and camper, downsize your home and bank a lot of cash.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #115
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If anyone is looking to save many tens of thousands of dollars then sell the truck and camper, downsize your home and bank a lot of cash.
Or just get an XLT vs a King Ranch... that's $20K right there..
Old 04-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #116
adeakins

Quote:
Tried that. Didn’t work. Sold house and went back to RV’ing. Now, if I really wanted to save money, I’d set my wife and my dog loose. But, then; I’d die from a diet of Cheetos and beer. Go blind from watching too much TV. And, I wouldn’t have nearly as much fun as I do with them.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #117
Bill-2020

Quote:
...XLT will always resell less than a King Ranch.
Or... My XLT will always resell for more than an XL. (glass half full )

But still, this is all dependent on condition and mileage. Too much damage, and milage and a well taken care of XLT could bring more than a beat up, run down Lariat. We could argue the possibilities until the cows come home...
Old 04-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #118
Ken / Claudia

Bill, no argument with your statements. I agree 100% with what you just printed. There was a reason in my example, I stated both vehicles of equal condition, year, mileage, etc. at time of resale.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #119
Bill-2020

Quote:
Bill, no argument with your statements. I agree 100% with what you just printed. There was a reason in my example, I stated both vehicles of equal condition, year, mileage, etc. at time of resale.
. Yep. Missed your "condition" statement due to the other half and the blah, blah, blah, blah in my ringing ears tonight.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #120
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I want to know where that cg is that the deisel guys are revving up next to the gas trucks. Do they get out and look at the badging to see if each truck is a deisel or a gasser? Is this cg next to the beach where they bully kicks sand in your face?

Perhaps what you are perceiving as a "snub" may perhaps just be the way many deisel drivers operate their trucks at very slow speed. Unlike a gasser, if you increase the throttle on a deisel at very slow speed the low speed torque will accelerate you too rapidly so folks tend to "feather" the throttle to give a little burst of power that carries you farther at a slower speed. Gassers don't have to do that the torque doesn't arrive until a much higher rpm. Sometimes I get annoyed at the sound of a biker with straight pipes but understand that that's their thing so you ignore it.
Oh boy... ya I’d like to know where he is too. Cause no gas engines have low end power right? Well I’m usually the guy makin noise while those diesel owners try to figure out what’s makin all that racket.. it’s all my “Kentucky go-fasters” (I think that’s what y’all called it, right)??? Haha! Well, I know most people don’t tow with a big block with a Raylar 202 full roller and headers and true duals and intake and custom tune but I do. And I turn every head doin it. Setting off car alarms for miles. Envy of the campground. Daily driver, 35” tire roasting American muscle machine. And I don’t get tired of the way it sounds. Puts a smile on my face every time I hit the skinny pedal and get thrown back in the seat.

But to each his own, right?
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas