Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Ranger78

Battery question!!

Hello, new to the forum and I am enjoying it with all the knowledge here. I have a 2013 bullet 230Bhs. I am new to having a TT. I put a new battery on it a few weeks ago the first time we used it. When I parked it and went back a few days later it was dead. My question is am I able to charge it while camping at night with a normal battery charger so that it charges faster. From what I understand the inverter is slow to charge it. I don’t want to mess anything up. I have decided to just take it off the camper when I park it and just put the maintainer on it at the house while not in use.
Ranger78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
bsmith0404

It’s actually the converter that charges the battery not an inverter. Converter changes 120 vac to 12 vdc, an inverter is the opposite. You do have some parasitic draw on the battery when stored so pulling the battery to maintain it at home is a good idea. Yes, you can use a battery charger, but if you’re plugged into 120v you should not need the battery. How will you provide power to the battery charger?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

First, welcome to the forum. Not sure your camper will have an inverter. An inverter is used on newer trailers that have residential refrigerators from the higher end type. You have a power center which will be composed of an AC side where your power cord connects. The AC is connected to your converter which turns AC into DC (the converter may be part of the power center of elsewhere; mine is right behind the power center). The converter charges your battery and sends DC voltage to your fuses (lights and such).

If you battery is discharging, it may be because you are not plugged into AC via your power cord. Stuff in your camper will drain the battery. Some campers have battery cut offs to reduce this issue but there are some things such as your gas detector which will be wired directly to your battery.

To keep your battery from discharging, plug into AC or run an extension cord to your battery and attach a float charger. I don't have a battery cut off in my camper and the gas detector will kill my battery in about 5-6 days and the gas detector has an alarm which will sound if the battery is dying.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
Socaldave

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Was the TT plugged into shore power when it was parked for those few days?
If so the on board system should have kept your battery topped off.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #5
Ranger78

That makes sense.. it was about 5-6 days when I went to the camper and the battery was dead. If I’m not mistaken and I’m plugged into 30 amp at campground the there’s not much that runs on the battery right? I will stick to campgrounds with shore power until I get to the functions of the camper well.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
Ranger78

It was not plugged in. I have it at a RV storage lot now.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger78 View Post
That makes sense.. it was about 5-6 days when I went to the camper and the battery was dead. If I’m not mistaken and I’m plugged into 30 amp at campground the there’s not much that runs on the battery right? I will stick to campgrounds with shore power until I get to the functions of the camper well.
Confirm whether or not you have a battery disconnect near the batteries if so be sure it's set to "on/connected" otherwise your batteries will not charge while plugged into shore power or the tow vehicle.
The type of "new" battery installed could also be an issue. If it's the same battery you'd put in the tow vehicle that has CCA, CA or MCA followed by a number those are the typically cranking batteries & not suited for the frequent charge/discharge cycles of rv batteries. You need deep cycle batteries, group 24, 27, or 31, with an aH (amp hour) rating as big as will fit into the location. Then once a month check the water levels in them, topping off with distilled water.
If your plan is to boondock frequently a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series would be your best option.
Also "new" doesn't necessarily mean "good"! How long has it been sitting on the rack? How "old" is "new"?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
Ranger78

There isn’t a disconnect on the camper at all. I was looking at installing one or just take the battery off. The battery said 7/22 on it for the date. It’s a deep cycle group size 29DC.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
There isn’t a disconnect on the camper at all. I was looking at installing one or just take the battery off. The battery said 7/22 on it for the date. It’s a deep cycle group size 29DC.
Only thing I can find on a 29DC is an Everstart Deep Cycle RV/Marine. It’ll work, not sure how long it’ll last you. Yes, when you’re plugged into shore power the converter is supplying the 12 volts to run things like the lights, furnace etc. in theory, you don’t need a battery at all when plugged into shore power, however your battery does supply additional power when needed so don’t just remove it. It’s also needed for the brakes when towing in case of a break away.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
skids

Put a disconnect switch at the negative side between the terminal and the negative cable. They also make a quick disconnect with a knob that is a bit more work than using a switch. That will take care of all of the "sacrificial draws" like radio presets, clock, smoke detectors etc.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Is it truly a deep cycle battery? The vast majority of RV/Marine "Deep Cycle" batteries are in reality "Dual Purpose" batteries. The will have a CCA number for starting where a true deep cycle will not print that rating. If you put a battery disconnect switch in, install it in between the negative battery post and the ground on the frame. That will assure that all loads are interrupted.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #12
Bustinbeards

You can just simply disconnect the battery. I pull mine and put them in a trickle charger at home when it’s stored and not in use.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:28 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

For "short term storage" (2 or 3 days between trips) most batteries don't require any recharging. This is "STORAGE" not leaving the furnace on low and the refrigerator running to get a head start on the next trip.....

For "relatively short term storage" (longer than a week, but not all winter) then disconnecting the battery cables or using a "battery cutoff switch" that actually does remove the battery from the ENTIRE 12 volt system will work for most people. There is no need to remove the battery from the trailer if it will be used again in a "relatively short time".

For "long term storage" (longer than a month or for seasonal storage) then most people will remove the battery, store it at home in the garage or workshop and connect it to a "trickle charger" that can keep it fully charged through the winter.

If you are planning to use the trailer frequently, then removing the battery isn't necessary, as long as you completely disconnect it from the trailer battery cables or install a battery cutoff switch that accomplishes the same...

Of course, theft/vandalism should also be considered for anything "not locked down" on the trailer. Propane tanks, batteries, spare tires tend to "take trips of their own" when in storage lots.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
JAYJ

I have a question I accidentally plugged 220 into my 30 amp plug and I heard a pop now my inverter will charge my car battery when I'm driving but when I unhook from my car and hook to shore power it will not charge my battery. I did confirm I have 120 going into my inverter/charger. The same time I am no mechanic.
JAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #15
JAYJ

Also my fan does come on in my inverter sometimes but I'm assuming just because the fans working doesn't mean the actual inverter is is that possible
Old 08-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Check the fuses on your converter. Should be 2 of them near the wire connections. They’re most likely blown
Old 08-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #17
JAYJ

I did check the 2- 40 amp fuses and they are good. I took the converter out and saw no actual fuses on it itself.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #18
JAYJ

Just so I know to be clear I guess it is a converter/charger correct not an inverter
Old 08-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #19
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJ View Post
Just so I know to be clear I guess it is a converter/charger correct not an inverter
Correct. The converter takes 120VAC and converts it to 12vdc to provide power for lights and other 12v items in the trailer as well as charging the battery. An easy way to check if the converter is working is to disconnect the battery while plugged into shore power. If the lights in the rv work, the converter is supplying 12 volts. Also, if you have a battery disconnect, it needs to be on for the battery to charge.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #20
JAYJ

I'm just confused because if it blew the converter I don't understand how the 220 got past the 2, 40 AMP fuses without them blowing. Does that make any since. Or is that at least possible. I mean when I plugged it in outside the camper I heard something something pop(or some kind of noise) and there was a little smoke inside but it went away very quickly. But everything is working except shore power to charge battery. Also I found a replacement but the fuse are 40 AMP and the replacement is 45 AMP. Would that be OK or can you buy 45 AMP fuses?

Tags
battery