Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #61
MarkEHansen

Also, might want to think about starting new threads for new questions.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #62
German Shepherd Guy

I noticed the OP stated he was getting a ladder installed. Just curious as to why? I do not believe that the Bullet roof is engineered to walk on and is why it does not come with a ladder as standard. I might be mistaken as I often am though.

Your generator is more than sized for the job but remember that it is a generator not an inverter generator and it will be loud. Enough so that it could/will create problems if used near other campers.

There is a great set of videos on youtube under "Long Long Honeymoon"
They are great to watch, very entertaining and have lots of information for first timers. Even old timers. They are a bit stuck on Airstreams but I can forgive them that sin as the information is generically applied.
Great looking rig.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #63
travelin texans

If you're plugging into a regular household plug, use a 12 gauge cord, it will keep your batteries charged so using the lights or water pump won't run the battery down.
If you don't need the fridge turn it off from the front control panel & prop the door open for it to dry out & not get musty smelling.
If not plugging into shore power the best idea is to remove the negative cable from the battery otherwise the parasitic drains from the clocks & the LP/CO detector will drain your battery anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks depending on your battery condition. But you won't be able run the lights or pump til you reconnect the cable.
As for leveling, use more blocks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #64
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I will embed my answers in your post, below...

If the blocks you're using to raise one side of the trailer are not enough to level it from side to side, then you need more. It sounds like your site is really unlevel. You'll just have to add blocks until the trailer is level side to side.
Thank you! It is a true 30A outlet; I had one put in last week prior to pickup. So if I connect to my water via hose, I don't need the pump? I do have a regulator that I'll be using in tandem.

I thought centralizing my newbie questions to one thread might please the mods -- some forums I'm on get kinda angry with folks who are thread happy.
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #65
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I noticed the OP stated he was getting a ladder installed. Just curious as to why? I do not believe that the Bullet roof is engineered to walk on and is why it does not come with a ladder as standard. I might be mistaken as I often am though.

Your generator is more than sized for the job but remember that it is a generator not an inverter generator and it will be loud. Enough so that it could/will create problems if used near other campers.

There is a great set of videos on youtube under "Long Long Honeymoon"
They are great to watch, very entertaining and have lots of information for first timers. Even old timers. They are a bit stuck on Airstreams but I can forgive them that sin as the information is generically applied.
Great looking rig.
Oak
Roof is walkable and came with rear ladder prep.

I do have an inverter generator on my list of wants, but haven't pulled the trigger yet! Won't need it at home since I've got a 30A connection.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #66
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Thank you! It is a true 30A outlet; I had one put in last week prior to pickup. So if I connect to my water via hose, I don't need the pump? I do have a regulator that I'll be using in tandem.

I thought centralizing my newbie questions to one thread might please the mods -- some forums I'm on get kinda angry with folks who are thread happy.
Nice. Not everyone has a 30A outlet (or able to keep their trailer at home)

Yes, if you hook the trailer to the city water, you don't need to turn on the water pump. However, don't leave either on when you're not monitoring the trailer. A simple leak in the internal plumbing can result in a terrible flood.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

I thought centralizing my newbie questions to one thread might please the mods -- some forums I'm on get kinda angry with folks who are thread happy. :lol:
You're fine with keeping all of YOUR comments, questions, hints or conclusions about YOUR trailer in one thread. What we don't want to do is to "fragment" the topic by starting multiple threads, as an example, one about the TV, one about the stereo, one about the carpet, one about the vinyl... You get the point, I'm sure... This is YOUR thread about YOUR new trailer and YOUR issues with it. You're good keeping YOUR issues in YOUR single thread....

Keep on posting, you've done nothing inappropriate.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #68
wborisenok

Slide questions:

1. Is it okay to keep the slide out if I’m going to be in and out for a couple of days? I’ve been sliding it out and in but all that extra movement makes me nervous.

2. When does “slanxiety” go away? I feel like I’ve just heard horror stories about slides breaking and it makes so much (normal) noise when it’s moving; it gives me slide anxiety!

Heat questions:

1. What does the heat run on? What do I have to turn on to use it this afternoon? Here’s a pic of my command center:

Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #69
Javi

Quote:
Slide questions:

1. Is it okay to keep the slide out if I’m going to be in and out for a couple of days? I’ve been sliding it out and in but all that extra movement makes me nervous.

2. When does “slanxiety” go away? I feel like I’ve just heard horror stories about slides breaking and it makes so much (normal) noise when it’s moving; it gives me slide anxiety!

Heat questions:

1. What does the heat run on? What do I have to turn on to use it this afternoon? Here’s a pic of my command center:

Yes, it's okay to leave the slide out... I don't leave it out in storage.

As to HEAT... that thing above the control panel is called a thermostat

turn it to heat and auto... make sure the propane bottle is open...
Old 05-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #70
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yes, it's okay to leave the slide out... I don't leave it out in storage.

As to HEAT... that thing above the control panel is called a thermostat

turn it to heat and auto... make sure the propane bottle is open...
I wasn’t sure if I needed to flip on the “LP Gas” and “Electric” buttons or if those were just dedicated to the water heater only. Just trying to learn the basics before I mess anything up. Ha! Thanks Javi
Old 05-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #71
MarkEHansen

Under the LP and Electric buttons it shows Water Heater, indicating these switches are for the water heater. You can use either or both, depending on the need.

For the furnace, it requires 12V (for the control circuits) and propane for the heat fuel.

As for the slides, there is a maintenance manual for your model slide. It may have come with the owner's packet, but it may be easier to just get it from the slide manufacturer's web site. It will detail how to keep your slide working properly.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #72
MarkEHansen

I guess in your trailer, they are called Glides rather than Slides?
Old 05-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=wborisenok;447687]Slide questions:

Heat questions:

Keep the slide out as long as you are using it. If you are not using it or storing it bring it in. You have a cable slide and probably a darco material bottom. IMO unneeded use just hastens the wear on the darco and the possibility (or frequency) of having to adjust the cable system.

As far as the anxiety about the slides - don't. Use them as you need them but don't run them in and out every day when you are in the trailer. Expect that everything is going to work just fine but always be vigilant for strange sounds, excessive groaning from the motor, excessive slack in the cables (the manual tells you what kind of slack to expect on which cables) and watch the darco on the bottom of the slide far any kind of wear.

Your hot water heater works with LP (propane) or electric or both. DO NOT turn the electric switch on on the control panel if there is no water in the water heater, it will burn out the heating element pronto. And the 2 switches for "water heater" are for it exclusively.

The thermostat for your furnace will work just like a regular home thermostat. Make sure you have your propane tank(s) turned on if you are going to run it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #74
wborisenok

2 days out from our first trip! We're headed down the cape to spend a long weekend in Provincetown. One of our absolute favorite spots but this time we'll be experiencing it from a different light -- at a campground in our brand new camper. We'll be only a 10 minute walk to the center of town. Very excited.

I've spent the last week and a half cleaning, organizing, loading up. I think I mentioned I was going to do this earlier in the thread, but I bought a cargo scale and have weighed and inventoried every single thing I've put in there. Even down to the Command Strips. It's all in a spreadsheet with formulas and everything. We're currently at 330.65lbs and the only thing left to load in is our clothes. It's looking like our fully loaded weight will come in under 5400lbs. I am VERY happy about this! Still can't wait to get to a scale, though. Has anyone picked up on my OCD tendencies yet?

In other news, on Saturday I successfully installed our backup camera. I bailed on the t-tap connectors last minute when I got the clearance light off and saw that they used crimp connectors, so I ran to Home Depot and got the exact same ones. Put fresh splices on everything and tested the system before I drilled the hole for the camera. Worked like a charm. Not even going to lie, I was crapping my pants as I drilled. I'd bought two different bits because I wasn't positive which would be best, one was $5 and one was $20. The $5 bit worked perfectly and now I've got twenty bucks back in my pocket. Gotta love it.

Only had one minor hiccup during the whole install: I'd gotten to the point where I needed to fish the pigtail down to the new hole to connect it to the camera and I was able to grab it just fine with a pair of needlenose pliers..but when I plugged the barrel connector into the receiver on the camera wire and went to push it all back into the new hole, I realized that the combined length of the barrel connector on the pigtail and the receiver on the camera wire weren't going to fit. I was dead center on the back wall so I was right in line with a support of some sort and didn't have much room. So, my only option was to fish it the opposite way but the wire was too flimsy and I didn't have enough play to try and grab it with my fingers. Taped it to a wire coat hanger and got it up through the clearance light hole with no problem. Put some electrical tape over the barrel connector/receiver to ensure a tight connection, put everything back together, and sealed it up with some caulk. Going to do one more thin layer of caulk tomorrow just to make sure it's water tight. Very pumped about getting this done on my own, gave me some confidence for when I'll need to fix something that's inevitably going to break. Some pics below, caulk was still wet so it's still white in appearance.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #75
JRTJH
Site Team

The camera install looks good. Congratulations on your handiwork...

In your last photo, of the rear of the trailer, there's no cover on the spare tire. Did you get one and just not yet install it, or ???

It's not a "crisis" but you'll be money ahead by keeping the sun, heat, UV away from the spare tire. Since it isn't "flexing down the road" it won't be releasing the rubber oils like the tires that are on the road. It will "dry out and start to crack much sooner than the ones on the ground. If you have a cover, it'll help preserve the tire. If you don't, ask the dealer. Keystone ships all their trailers with a "CHEAP" tan cover that says "Keystone RV" on it. If you have to buy one, some "tire experts" recommend a white cover to avoid the heat saturation caused by black covers.

Anyway, the trailer's looking good. Enjoy your first outing, I'm sure you're excited...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #76
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The camera install looks good. Congratulations on your handiwork...

In your last photo, of the rear of the trailer, there's no cover on the spare tire. Did you get one and just not yet install it, or ???

It's not a "crisis" but you'll be money ahead by keeping the sun, heat, UV away from the spare tire. Since it isn't "flexing down the road" it won't be releasing the rubber oils like the tires that are on the road. It will "dry out and start to crack much sooner than the ones on the ground. If you have a cover, it'll help preserve the tire. If you don't, ask the dealer. Keystone ships all their trailers with a "CHEAP" tan cover that says "Keystone RV" on it. If you have to buy one, some "tire experts" recommend a white cover to avoid the heat saturation caused by black covers.

Anyway, the trailer's looking good. Enjoy your first outing, I'm sure you're excited...
Thanks for pointing this out -- it never even crossed my mind. I'm going to shoot my salesman a text tomorrow to inquire! Thanks John

Tags
bullet, newbie