Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #61
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
1st it was Mission, then GY Marathons-USA, GY Marathons-China and then TowMax and back to Marathons-China. Now we get 60 posts on TKs. Hmmm??? Makes one wonder where the real culprit hangs-out.

Since not a soul has a clue I would venture it's the little Chinese plant in a little village with not a soul watching what's being poured in the molds, and....we get TKs, Marathons etc. Now on the other hand, it could have been poor guidance from RVIA, cheapskate manufacturers, "bad" owners, stars out of alignment....anyone can take their pick....I have.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Our 2017’s were on their way out in 2020...I’m betting that’s all you can expect out of the TKs
It's not just TK's that age out. ALL ST tires will suffer the same aging process. At least all the ST tires with polyester cording, "secret rubber forumla" and exposed to the UV, ozone and loading that RV use exposes them to.

My Carlisles, the GY Endurance, Maxxis, LionHead, all the ST tires with similar construction will deteriorate over time. it's not a matter of "where they are made" as much as it is that heat and UV deteriorate the tire structure making it weaken over time. Some manufacturers suggest (in older literature) that ST tires lose about 1/3 of their rated weight capacity in 3 years. That's 33% in 3 years or 11% per year (assuming a linear deterioration)...

Looking at a 225 75R15 LRE tire rated at 2830 pounds and on a 4400 pound axle, that's 5660 pounds of tire rating carrying 4400 pounds of axle rating, or a 22% safety margin. At the end of 3 years, if that tire has lost 30% of it's strength, it's able to carry 70% of 2830 pounds or 1981 pounds. So, in theory, even with the current 15% safety margin required by RVIA, most trailer tires will be "overloaded" in 2-3 years, even with excellent tire care....

That's when, if my concerns materialize, we'll start seeing "ST tire explosions" start to happen again.... That is, unless the majority of RV owners cut to the chase and replace their tires on a 3 year interval.... That's something I seriously doubt will happen... We can't even convince everyone to spend $5 for RV antifreeze <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #63
NH_Bulldog

I go by the 3 year rule. The date code on my 2019 trailer tires is March 2018 (trailer manufactured August 2018). The TK’s have treated me well, but the new tires are going on this week (not TK’s).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:31 AM   #64
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
1st it was Mission, then GY Marathons-USA, GY Marathons-China and then TowMax and back to Marathons-China. Now we get 60 posts on TKs. Hmmm??? Makes one wonder where the real culprit hangs-out.
I don't fing any "real" evidence in any theory and you can posrulate till the cos come home. There's just nobdata to prove the manufacture, after sale treatment, age, or treatment of these tires. Pounding on people "file a complaint" with Nhts will only reflect that the tire failed, not why. INMHO I think a lot of it a learning curve on the part of the user. New owner's only know their auto experience re: tires. Replace tires when they wear out. Lots of folks now days wait for the idiot light to tell them the pressure is low and the shop that changes the oil tells them they need new tires.

So the new first time owners hitch and go untill they can't. Then when their x brand tire disintegrate they blame the tire mfg and if they do some research see that brand x has lots of failures. Then they replace with brand y and maybe find out that the trailer tires are different than their autos. That's just my postulate opinion. I don’t see any "real data" collection happening in the future.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires