Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #61
Hr42010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Eugene
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
How many times in how days has the OP attempted to start a unsafe genny?
It never started yet, it won't start until someone does some maintenance and repair. At this point it maybe better it has not started. Wonder what it would do with free flowing gas out of the engine while running?
Ok im going to clarify again it oil leaking out but the oil smells like gas
__________________

Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #62
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
Ok im going to clarify again it oil leaking out but the oil smells like gas
Because it is flooding and the float is probably stuck or not adjusted correctly. Gas is overflowing and running internally into the engine which as Marshal pointed out will wash the cylinders of oil and cause the motor to seize up. You have a oil leak and a gas leak...your adding gas to the crankcase and your oil level if you didnít have a oil leak would likely keep rising on the dipstick.. I wonít comment anymore and I wish you luck but feel bad for any person or property in the general vicinity that may be harmed by your experiments and would hope Iím not parked next to you at a state park unless you get it right. good luck my friend..good luck
__________________

__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #63
Hr42010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Eugene
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Because it is flooding and the float is probably stuck or not adjusted correctly. Gas is overflowing and running internally into the engine which as Marshal pointed out will wash the cylinders of oil and cause the motor to seize up. You have a oil leak and a gas leak...your adding gas to the crankcase and your oil level if you didnít have a oil leak would likely keep rising on the dipstick.. I wonít comment anymore and I wish you luck but feel bad for any person or property in the general vicinity that may be harmed by your experiments and would hope Iím not parked next to you at a state park unless you get it right. good luck my friend..good luck
No worries bro. I think im just gonna give up and leave it to a professional or just pull it out but in the mean time im going to plug gas lines and drain any gas left in generator. I rather be safe than sorry. Please feel free to comment again if you want i truly appreciate your comments especially over some others!!! Thanks again jasin1!! You have been very helpful in me making my decision. Id rather stick to clean energy anyway. Anyone know if they got wind generators that work good on motorhomes?
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #64
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 20,955
To the OP.

Let's start over (from the beginning)....

As I understand it, you have a 1991 Toyota/Winnebago Class C motorhome conversion that you recently bought/acquired...

We don't know any of the history on this vehicle or the components in it.

So, if you'd start with a "CLEAR DESCRIPTION" of what you have and what you're trying to achieve, it would help tremendously.

As an example, is the generator you can't get started the original generator that's 30 years old? Has it been started in the past 20 years or is this an "unknown restoration of a generator you just bought and have no idea if it's ever been started in the past 10-15 years?

There's a BIG difference in troubleshooting a generator that was working last week or last fall and won't start and in troubleshooting a generator that's been "sitting in a barn for 15 years without having been started"....

So, how about a COMPLETE and CLEAR description of what you have, its condition and as much "history" as you can provide....

Right now, we're "just shooting in the dark with no clear information of the condition of the equipment which makes it even more difficult to suggest a "next step without knowing if it'll even be close"....

Help us help you by giving us better details. If you have them, photos of the rig, the generator and the generator panel in the motorhome would be a great help.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #65
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
No worries bro. I think im just gonna give up and leave it to a professional or just pull it out but in the mean time im going to plug gas lines and drain any gas left in generator. I rather be safe than sorry. Please feel free to comment again if you want i truly appreciate your comments especially over some others!!! Thanks again jasin1!! You have been very helpful in me making my decision. Id rather stick to clean energy anyway. Anyone know if they got wind generators that work good on motorhomes?
Sounds like a good plan.. there was a thread on 4/12/21 on the subject of solar and wind turbines. You can search by my past posts or through the search engine
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #66
Hr42010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Eugene
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To the OP.

Let's start over (from the beginning)....

As I understand it, you have a 1991 Toyota/Winnebago Class C motorhome conversion that you recently bought/acquired...

We don't know any of the history on this vehicle or the components in it.

So, if you'd start with a "CLEAR DESCRIPTION" of what you have and what you're trying to achieve, it would help tremendously.

As an example, is the generator you can't get started the original generator that's 30 years old? Has it been started in the past 20 years or is this an "unknown restoration of a generator you just bought and have no idea if it's ever been started in the past 10-15 years?

There's a BIG difference in troubleshooting a generator that was working last week or last fall and won't start and in troubleshooting a generator that's been "sitting in a barn for 15 years without having been started"....

So, how about a COMPLETE and CLEAR description of what you have, its condition and as much "history" as you can provide....

Right now, we're "just shooting in the dark with no clear information of the condition of the equipment which makes it even more difficult to suggest a "next step without knowing if it'll even be close"....

Help us help you by giving us better details. If you have them, photos of the rig, the generator and the generator panel in the motorhome would be a great help.
So yeah i have no idea when the last time it was started and ran was. Previous owner said they never used it cause they just dont like the idea of an engine running under where theyre sleeping. So yeah im just as clueless?
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #67
Hr42010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Eugene
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Sounds like a good plan.. there was a thread on 4/12/21 on the subject of solar and wind turbines. You can search by my past posts or through the search engine
Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #68
FlyboyD8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North of Cooperstown, NY
Posts: 8
The easiest and fastest, safest way to clean a carb jet is to simply boil it in water. yes boil the water with the jet in it, works every time. way back in 90 I ran single strands of wire from an old wire brush threw 4 jets of a 83 Goldwing it cleaned them and it also enlarged them. it never needed the choke after that to start, that is until I got the new set from I think it was Parts unlimited.


I don't wear a face diaper.


Ken
__________________
Remember Lavoy!
2008 31 RLDS
1990 Dodge D350, I6 engine, basically stock, well basically.
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #69
RoadToad
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: The Villages
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
Ok got photos! The very last picture is where the gas is dripping.
Looks as if the fuel tank has a rust-through problem.
Pinhole where rust has pitted the tank.
Getting a replacement is probably the thing to do.

Have had that issue myself in years past.
__________________

__________________
2010 Cooper Canyon 252FWRLS
2000 F250 SC 7.3 Turbo Diesel
2003 Roadtrek 190
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×