Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
The ďalarmĒ on the LP Regulator

Question. Itís new to me but at different times and it seems to do it when Iím on the bottom closest to the regulator. Itís this low sound that somewhat sounds like the dive alarm on submarines. I donít notice it when itís on the other tank. It stops when thereís nothing using propane. So if the refrigerator or water heater is on its making the sound. Or when the stove top or oven is on.

The first time I had to stick my head into the compartment to figure out where it was coming from.
__________________

BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,773
It would be helpful if you put your trailer year, model etc. in your signature along with your TV. Makes trying to answer questions MUCH easier.

Looks like you have a 5th wheel. Probably has the "Fairview" cheap regulators. I figure that's what you're hearing. Just replace them with quality units; I use Marshall Excelsior. You should have a two stage (the big one with indicator) and a high pressure unit (on the off side). I've replaced them on my last 2 trailers - no more droning.
__________________

__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
bobbecky
Senior Member
 
bobbecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 2,038
I've experienced that whistle from the regulators on our rig, even on a BBQ grill, and it seems to have eventually gone away after a time and doesn't seem to cause any problems. If you can isolate the noise to one of the regulators and want to, just replace the regulator that makes the noise.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402 Montana
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:02 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 6,605
There are no "alarms" on those regulators. What you are hearing is a vibration caused by the regulator internal spring and diaphragm that modulates the gas pressure. It won't hurt anything but if it's annoying then replace the regulator, they are jot serviceable.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:50 AM   #5
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It would be helpful if you put your trailer year, model etc. in your signature along with your TV. Makes trying to answer questions MUCH easier.

Looks like you have a 5th wheel. Probably has the "Fairview" cheap regulators. I figure that's what you're hearing. Just replace them with quality units; I use Marshall Excelsior. You should have a two stage (the big one with indicator) and a high pressure unit (on the off side). I've replaced them on my last 2 trailers - no more droning.
I have my signature on but for some reason when I post on my iPhone it doesnít show.

Thatís what I was thinking. I had a fifth wheel that built up so much of the oily buildup that it stopped flowing.

Thank something to do when I get home.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
I have my signature on but for some reason when I post on my iPhone it doesnít show.
When you log in, go to the bottom of the page left side, and tap on ďview full web siteĒ ( or something like that) I had the same problem
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
I have my signature on but for some reason when I post on my iPhone it doesnít show.

Thatís what I was thinking. I had a fifth wheel that built up so much of the oily buildup that it stopped flowing.

Thank something to do when I get home.

Yep, they do collect that nasty oil. Pulled the high pressure off this one while in FL and thought I would keep it as a spare (worked OK just made noise). That oil stinks to high heaven and after I cleaned it off as best I could so did I. I let it sit on a table outside the RV for over 2 months letting the stench die down before I put it in my spare box.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 20,955
The "odorant" added is "Mercaptan". It's an oily, foul smelling substance that's used in both natural gas and in propane. Over time, some can settle out of the propane and build up in the bottom of propane tanks. As it flows through the regulators, under the right conditions, it can coat the regulator "internals" and cause them to "vibrate or to even fail".

I don't know of any way an RV owner can "clean the mercaptan residue" out of the regulators or the propane tanks. A "propane company or distributor" should have a repair/service shop that can clean the tanks if there is a problem with them, but when it comes to the regulators, it's probably cheaper to replace them than to pay someone to service them... I suppose regulators have become "one more item on the dispose/don't fix list"....

On a fifth wheel with tanks on opposite sides of the trailer, the "off side tank" will have a 30PSI stepdown regulator and the "primary side tank" will have the primary regulator that further reduces propane pressure to 11"WC which is about 0.37-0.4 PSI.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "odorant" added is "Mercaptan". It's an oily, foul smelling substance that's used in both natural gas and in propane. Over time, some can settle out of the propane and build up in the bottom of propane tanks. As it flows through the regulators, under the right conditions, it can coat the regulator "internals" and cause them to "vibrate or to even fail".

I don't know of any way an RV owner can "clean the mercaptan residue" out of the regulators or the propane tanks. A "propane company or distributor" should have a repair/service shop that can clean the tanks if there is a problem with them, but when it comes to the regulators, it's probably cheaper to replace them than to pay someone to service them... I suppose regulators have become "one more item on the dispose/don't fix list"....

On a fifth wheel with tanks on opposite sides of the trailer, the "off side tank" will have a 30PSI stepdown regulator and the "primary side tank" will have the primary regulator that further reduces propane pressure to 11"WC which is about 0.37-0.4 PSI.
Thanks for the information on the step down regulator, was wondering what that was. After the problem on my Alfa I replaced it to finish out the trip and before the next trip bought a second one for backup. I lived in it at an RV park when I wasnít traveling.

I will do wiring hot but propane scares my so Iíll just replace and not try to clean it.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you log in, go to the bottom of the page left side, and tap on ďview full web siteĒ ( or something like that) I had the same problem
Test
Test
__________________
You can never be late if you have nowhere to go.
2013 F-350 Dually King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2014 Cougar 337FLS
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
That worked but the display is small.
__________________
You can never be late if you have nowhere to go.
2013 F-350 Dually King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2014 Cougar 337FLS
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
That worked but the display is small.
It looks like the same size type as mine.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
Thanks for the information on the step down regulator, was wondering what that was. After the problem on my Alfa I replaced it to finish out the trip and before the next trip bought a second one for backup. I lived in it at an RV park when I wasnít traveling.

I will do wiring hot but propane scares my so Iíll just replace and not try to clean it.

Here's a link to the Marshall Excelsior line of regulators. Some good info there on the products.

https://www.marshallexcelsior.com/si...log_2020_0.pdf


The off side high pressure regulator reduces the LP tank pressure to 30psi (limit for the cross pipe) and then goes to the dual stage auto changeover regulator for further pressure reduction. I've had several Fairview failures, none with the Marshall Excelsior.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #14
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
I should have said the page. Instead of just the column it shows the whole web page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It looks like the same size type as mine.
I should have said column, it shows the whole web page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	893BB33A-A692-4B2D-8D0B-9D4D6F060DF2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	33128   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBEBBF11-8C29-43EA-8396-99D987D98E51.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	33129  
__________________
You can never be late if you have nowhere to go.
2013 F-350 Dually King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2014 Cougar 337FLS
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 13,621
I just move the screen around so my signature shows up without editing. Iím using an 12Pro Max so the screen is decent sized.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
BookPaul74
Member
 
BookPaul74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Big Springs
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I just move the screen around so my signature shows up without editing. Iím using an 12Pro Max so the screen is decent sized.
iPhone 7 Max 256G. Itís still working so maybe some day. 😁
__________________

BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×